Launching/Loading…give a hand!

• riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Reading the thread about all the boats at a single ramp,keep this in mind.Not everyone is a seasoned pro when it comes to launching and landing a boat,especially in the wind and current.Please,if you see someone having a hard time,don’t give them dirty looks and bad words.They feel worse than you can imagine for both holding up the line,and not getting the rig in/out.Don’t be afraid to help someone out,they will be very appreciative,and may even become your next fishing buddy.Three years ago,I was pulling into pool 4 to unload,when it looked like the line was backed up.Looking down,I saw a younger man,with what appeared to be his new boat.He was trying his best to get it on the trailer,while 3-4 guys were standing around making snide comments about holding up the line.The fellow became flustered,and ended up smashing his prop into large rocks,completely destroying it.I had barely made it to him to grab his rope before the wind had him swept away from the dock.The whole time those 3-4 guys stood there belly aching!

Please,help someone when they obviously need it,someday the shoe will be on the other foot.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Riveratt,

I couldn’t agree with you more. An extra hand often makes the job easier and faster for everyone, especially when the winds are howling.

Last year some guy really helped me out at the Wisconsin channel ramp on Pool 4. We wanted to launch at Everts but they weren’t letting any more rigs down the road. That left our only option as the public launch but the ramp was pretty much a sheet of ice. I don’t have a 4WD so some guy disconnected his trailer and hooked up mine and put it in the water for me.

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

Yes it is good to know that there are guys out there willing to lend a hand for other peoples help.

flatoutally
    MN

I agree 100%, Riveratt…..Basic simple manners around the launch ramp would make the it much less stressful place for the beginner/novice. One simple act of kindness by anyone would have far overshadowed the classlessness of Riveratt’s aforementioned observation party. Let’s all keep this in mind the next time we see someone having a problem at the ramp. Come on guys, we ‘vets’ can see a struggle at the ramp coming usually WAY before it happens. Even if the yahoos Riveratt mentioned were prop salesmen, they would have benefitted more from helping rather than ridiculing. Think about it.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

This weekend I had the ball on the gas line for my 175 vapor lock, and had no use of my big motor for getting it up on the trailer! As most of you know…it was windy as heck on Saturday! A kind soul saw me trying to manhandle my 18′ boat with a 9.9 4 stroke, and lent a hand. Without him, I would still be there! Thanks again!

Tuck

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I’m probably going to resemble that guy that Riverrat was talking about!! If you see a guy struggling with a black Fishawk at Everts or on the ‘Croix I’ll thank you in advance for the help. Got lots of practicin’ to do.

goosepit
    N. Mankato Minnesota

My story is kind of like Boone’s. It was about 3 years ago, it was in Febuauary and the day was surprisingly warm. We drove down there with my brother’s old Terry Bass boat. He only has a 2wd Nissan pickup and figured since it was warm ice on the ramp wouldn’t be a problem. Well we fished all day caught a bunch of eyes, and 2 sturgeon. We noticed that it had gotten alot colder since we landed the boat and decided to get the heck out of there. Well when we got back to the landing the ramp was glare ice, no matter how hard we tried we couldn’t get the heavy fiberglass bass boat out of the ramp. A guy in a big 3/4 ton Chevy had a big Pro-V saw us and un-hooked his boat and with out thinking twice we got out his tow strap and pulled the truck and boat out of the landing. One of the nicest guys I have ever met. We offered him $20 bucks for helping us, but he wouldn’t take it. You don’t really find people that nice anymore.

mudlnthru
    Burnsville

Even a kind word helps once in awhile. First time I had the new Fishhawk out, two older guys came up and watched me struggle with it in a wind and a very shallow landing. They gave me a few tips and patiently waited in the cold while I finally loaded up. It was a great help. And I’ve held an awful lot of boats for other folks. Even had to tow a couple off a sandbar. Makes for a few good smiles all around and it’s certainly a better way to end the day than thinking about the traffic or how slow people are. The only ones that get me are the drunks that load and reload a dozen or so times after a day of partying on the water. That just makes me mad.

Mike

herb
    6ft under

Hey Now!!! Hic-Burrrp!!

riveratt

Just wanted to bump this back to the top one last time before another busy weekend at the ramps…

riveratt

After a very busy looking day at Everts on Saturday I figured it would be good to bump this back to the top.It’s a good subject no matter when your on the water.

Bassn Dan

I agree with helping folks out at the ramp that need a hand. I’ve caught the bow line of a boat that had gotten away from its owner and helped a couple of older gentlemen by backing their trailer down the ramp for them, etc.

One thing that does tick me off at the ramp, is when people park on the ramp and unload/load EVERYTHING THEY OWN into their boat/out of their boat while people are waiting to use the ramp. Transfering gear to/from a boat should be done in the parking lot – NOT on the ramp. Not that anyone from FTR would do that, though a lot of others do.

Dan

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.