Commotion on the surface?

• skinnymark
    Rochester

I’m sure that a lot of you have seen this on the river. Tiny minnows start shooting out of the surface of the water and then, what I assume is a bass, rolls on the surface. I spent a couple hours last Saturday casting to these situations but I only got two strikes on a spinnerbait. I tried everything I had and it was pretty frustrating. Does anybody know what it takes to catch fish in this situation. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

tcfishing
    Anoka, MN

Try top water like a spook, Skitter pop, or any injured minnow bait that you have. If you can see the minnows try to match the same color and size. I hope this helps you and I’ll see you on the water.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Where I fish it is either white bass or small mouth. Small jigs and minnows are what I use to pick them up. Alot of the time if you pitch right into the action as it is happening a fish is on before you even get the line tight. Other wise real the jigs back to you about 6″ to 1′ under the surface. We where just trying this again this morning on the upper croix with good results.

You may also want to try small white twister tails on the jigs. I think someone was also talking about using flys to.

Good luck.

Welcome aboard you guys.

riverfan
    MN

Skinny,

I’m looking for the answer also. When the smallies get on the pin minnows they are very size selective. As you witnessed they ignore a lot of other offerings. I have been able to catch a few fish on the 3″ Berkley power minnows but its almost impossible to cast them. If you get to heavy enough jig head to cast the lure goes straight to the bottom and is ignored. If you’re a fly fisherman try a streamer.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

One of the ways I solve the minnow size problem is to use the jig a whopper minnows. They are the ones that come 6 to a pack with one orange jig. They also come in about a half dozen sizes. It is strange to see how they will pass on one size, change it up by a 1/4″ and you are on fish.

A casting bobber might help with casting of small jigs.

This morning I had my best luck on a flat headed style jig. The flat head let is swim threw the water better and not just sink straight to the bottom.

wallygator
    cohasset mn.

dynamite with a short fuse always works well ?

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

That a boy WG! Leave it to you guys from UP NORT to throw out the dynamte technique!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I try to match the hatch. Usually a small silver or shad colored crank bait works in this situation. I actually have a box labled ‘silvers’ with those types of lures. Currently I’m fresh out of dynamite.

danwi
    westby wi

i toss a 1/4 oz chrome rattle trap.Works great for me

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

If they are largemouth I have had some success with a Zoom floating worm in a bright color. Only problem is getting close enough quickly.

buckiii
    Wabasha, MN

Skinnymark,

I saw this same situation this past Monday in the same area you were fishing. The only thing that worked were top water poppers. You had to wait until you see the fish hitting the top and then cast the popper right in the middle of the fish and then hold on. The fish were white bass and there were some pretty good sized ones at that. The White bass are still not rolling as much as they will in a couple of weeks though. Then the action should really pick up for the white bass in that area. We should get togethher soon with a tackle box full of poppers and have some fun.

Rodmaker

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

Where can a person buy good fishing explosives now days? Taping a few m-80s together and sinking them does not quite do the trick.

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

The Army is a great source of hand grenades and all sorts of other neat toys. Saves me all kinds of money on rods reels and baits! J/K

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.