Line Counter reels

• Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

I am also interested in the opinions of others to the answer to Fishhunt58’s question. Can anybody chime in on this question regarding the line setup?

Thanks,

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

Does anybody even put line on these things?

I have heard so much about the diawa 27 and 47 but havent heard about the no line needed concept? Help please.

I know….What a smart [censored].

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I would be the first to pony-up for a new set if Daiwa came out with a left hand retrieve reel. That being said, as much as I would want to see it happen, I’d fall off my chair if it did.

Daiwa’s makes their money selling bass and salt water gear. That market is ENORMOUS compared to the walleye market. And when you wittle that small number of potential customers down with the knowledge that only a tiny fraction of anglers troll enough to consider such a purchase….. well, you already know where this is headed. There’s likely such a small market and demand, they’d never go through the investment and effort. Particularly since they already dominate the line counter market…. (I’d LOVE to wake up wrong about this tomorrow, believe me!! Don’t even think about it Vick!)

OK, on to the spooling on of line deal…. I can’t remember. Seriously, I can’t remember how much backing I put on my reels. Daiwa’s last forever remember? I did the backing thing 5 years ago…. and now I just replace the spiderwire every other season or when needed.

But here’s what you do. This method will work perfectly EVERY time, no matter what diameter line you use. (I used 12# bargain bin cheapo stuff.) One thing worth mentioning… this method works much more conveniently when a pair of reels is being spooled for the first time.

The following methods works slick but you MUST use sufficient tension to ensure the line lays uniform and tight on the reel. Just like the baitshops do when they spool your reels.

Take your spiderwire or fireline, etc., and tape it to the spindle of the reel you’ll be spooling. Use a tiny piece of tape. You’ll be removing it shortly so no need to try and permenently secure things.

Wind you spiderwire, power pro, fireline (whatever) onto the reel FIRST…. I know it sounds backwards…. stick with me.

Once your entire spool of trolling line is on the reel, tie your spiderwire to the beginning of the line you intend to use as backing. At this point, make a mental note of the counter reading for use a bit later. Wind on your backing until the backing comes to within 1/8″ of the top edge of the spool. Take a final counter reading. Subtract the first counter reading from the final reading you took and you now know the EXACT number of feet it takes to add backing to your reels, at a given line diameer of your choice, and with the chosen length of trolling line…. no matter which brand or diameter you chose to use.

Remember, or better yet, write these numbers down or future use.

Lastly, take the tag end of the mono backing from the reel you just filled, tie it to the spindle of the second reel, and wind onto the second reel using sufficient tension to ensure the line lays uniform and tight on the reel.

Perfect every time…. and you have the line amounts for future reference…

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

Thanks James, Santa Claus supplied me with the two diawas. He just had no idea how to properly spool them.

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Hey James I have had My Okumas for three years now and never had a problem with any of them. and they have been dropped stepped on. hell one of my partners lost his in the water one day with that light of a reel and his glass rod it floated and it still works just like brand new!!!!! My partners and I have had nothing but excellent luck with these reels and wouldn’t think twice about buying them again. on the other side I know guys who use the Diawas and love them to its just a matter of Preference I like light durable reels thats why I use the Okumas.

You know this is why this board is so great you can get so many different opinions and techniques a guy can really learn from everyone.

but you know the best way to pick out reels is go out with someone and use the reels and see how you like them.

talk to you later

Nate Cadwell

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

My Okuma came with two reel handles for personal preference…I am going to do a Product review here shortly on my likes and dislikes.

Tuck

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.