Line Counter reels

• splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Can anyone tell me about the Cabela’s Depthmaster line counter reels? Are they any good? Pro’s/Con’s? BPS and Cabels are not selling Diawa line counters anymore. They are not listed in their catalogs or on either of their Web-Sites. Why? Is the Depthmaster worth looking at? ….Or should I continue my hunt for the Diawa’s at another big box store? Any opinions? …..I’m looking to purchase 2 line-counter reels sometime very soon.

bill mitchell

you still can get diawa reels at cabelas and bp stores. They choose not to list them in their catalog for marketing reasons , i guess. I have looked at the reels but haven’t tested one yet. i probably won’t since the sealine reel by diawa is the benchmark. If you still aren’t convinced then read the prod. review on the main page of FTR. This should clear up any questions as to whats the best bang for your buck!

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Check out page 14 of the Cabela’s Tackle Shop 2002 wish book. .Daiwa LIne Counters SG27LC ,SG27LCW ,SG47LC or the 47LC

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Toooo many reels in the wish-books to look at/wish for !!!!!! I must have overlooked the pics on page 14. Anyhow,…. what about the Cabels’s Depthmasters? I like Diawa’s,… but are these things even woth looking at – for real?

P.S. Thanks for the pointer on pg 14.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Hey Splitshot..I have not tried the cabela’s line counter it may be top shelf..All I can do is tell you that over the last 8 years I’ve tried alot of line counters that were less expensive then the Diawa. And could have just bought the Diawa and had about eight of them by now..instead of pissing my money away on the look alikes..The Diawa is the bench mark. They hold up and they last..I am NOT sponsored by them either..I gain nothing by telling you this..For the extra $15.00 it is worth the money.. My two cents…..Good luck..

Jerry K
    Stewartville

I have had the Cabela’s line counter for 1 year and I like it alot. Fished the Diawa version with James and I liked the Cabela’s better. What made me try the Cabela’s was that it is more compact. Night fishing the numbers are hard to see on the Cabela’s. Can anybody tell me how tha Diawa is to read at night?

TC BIRD
    Eyota Mn

I just bvought a Diawa line counter at Cabalas Store

just a week ago less than $100.00 have not had a chance

to try it out yet but I will soon

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

The Cabelas Depthmaster Line counter reels are on sale in the bargin cave in Cabelas at Owatonna for 53.00 . Brand new in the box. BUT, when the battery goes dead you have to return it for another one as they can’t be replaced I’ve been told. Too much of a hassle!??!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve read so many “not-good” things about the Cabelas counters and have had such incredible luck with the Diawas that I’d NEVER suggest anything but the Diawas. They’re bullet-proof. The drags are great. They are a bit larger than the Cabelas unit but I find they fit wonderfully in my hand despite the size and talk about maintenance-free! I have been running my oringinal set of 4 for over 5 years and I’ve never greased, lubed or cleaned any of them. And they’re still perfect. I also own 4 Okumas, which are decent reels, much like the Cabelas…. but they’re not as solid, smooth, or precise as the Daiwas.

Like ReefRunner said, spend the extra $15 up front and get the best and be done with it. You’ll never regret it. The only way that reel could be any better is if they offered it with left hand retrieve.

mnangler
    Wabasha, MN

James, Don’t hold your breath on Daiwa making a left handed

line counter anytime soon. I was at the Cabelas Spring Expo

in Praire Du Chene this weekend and talked to the daiwa rep, and he said that he has suggested it before but can make no promises. He explained to me that Daiwas main focus is on

saltwater gear first, bass gear second, and walleye gear was only a “sideline” business and he felt that it wouldn’t be worth Daiwas time. I think Daiwa has there priorities screwed up!!!!

I know of a few fellow board members who would be second in line behind me to buy these wonderful reels. I asked the rep to make a post on this message board and another popular site and ask the anglers our opinions. Is anyone who

frequents this board sponsered by Daiwa or does anyone have an” in ” so that we can express our opinions?

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

I just bought a Cabelas line counter this winter to try. I have a couple Diawa’s and think their great other than there drags loosen easily. The first thing I saw when opening the box on the cabelas reel was Okuma, evidently they make them. The drag seems better, now to see how it holds up. I have a shakesphere (sp) also and that works too but I don’t have many miles on it yet. The Diawa’s are by far the toughest.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I dont know about the Daiwa…. obviously its the choice of many… I had an Okuma recomended to me by a guide…. he told me the daiwas are better.. but that the only complaint he had with Okuma’s is if you fish a day in heavy rain they will fog up and you cant see the counter… well… I took that chance… and Ive been happy so far….. but have not fished in rain!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I own 4 of the Okumas as well. They’re not a bad reel by any means….. but they rarely come out of the rod locker. My biggest gripe about them, actually I have two, is 1) the reel handles are so incredibly flimsy that every time I pull them out of my rod locker they’re wobbling in a different arch as I crank the handle. What did they make those handles out of, tin foil? 2) The position and design of the counter re-set button drives me nuts as its much too easy to accidently hit that button and zero your counter. With the Daiwas its a “to the side and down” movement to re-set. Okuma its a simply tap down to clear the number. Just little stuff that gets a guy.

I bough the Okumas for $63/ piece and a couple time a summer Fleetfarm will run a sale of the Daiwas at $75 – 75.99/piece. That’s not much extra coin for a reel that was built to withstand the long runs of 30+ lb salmon on the great lakes.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I got my Okumas for 49.99…… and so far Ive not seen that reel handle problem…. but that would sure be annoying…. and for sure Ive zeroed the line counter a few times when I did not want to…. just a little thing… but little things add up.. and we all know details make a difference for fishing……

guess I will hunt down a diawa deal for my next one…..

ScottS3

So, who makes a good left handed Line Counter Reel? I have been looking for some time but have not had any luck. I want a good reel, but I also want it Left Handed. Anyone else found a good one. ScottS

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

As far as I know, there isn’t anything decent available in left hand retrieve. Someone set me straight if they know different…

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I haven’t been able to find a left sided one either. Nate has a couple Okumas and likes them so I bought one but haven’t used it yet. But I have to agree that the Diawas are the better ones. They have been around for a long time and have stood up against the test the Pros give them. Bill

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hey Splitshot, I have two Diawa SG27LC counter combos, very good and no problems ever. go with those and sleep better at night. Jack.

ScottS3

Well I guess I will be using right handed line counters then. You guys that are sponsored by Diawa should stay after them. There are a few of us odd balls out here.ScottS

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

~H2O~

I have two SG47LC, I use them for lead line as they have more line cap. I just bought a SG27LC and plan on getting a second one. For the mono backing how much do you put on yours & what pound test do you use, also what pound test of spider wire do you use?

goosepit
    N. Mankato Minnesota

I’m just really getting into fishing walleyes seriously. My brother bought me a 8′ 6″ Aurora Kevin Kraft signature series trolling rod with a Mitchell Riptide 70CD line counter. Anybody have any experiece with this reel? I also got me a copy of Precision Trolling.

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Hey Guys sorry to rain on your Diawa trip but I have used Diawas and Okumas and the Okumas out perform the Diawa 10-1 and James I don’t know what models you are running but I have never had a problem with the Okuma Handles and eveyone else I know who uses them Loves them. I perfere the zeroing button on top of the counter like the Okuma has versus on the side like the Diawas that way your hand should never come close to it. just another thing that the I don’t like on the Diawas they are heavy!!! just hard to hang onto a 10ft rod and a heavy reel.

just my opinions

Buy a Okuma and you will never have to shop for a different brand again.

Nate Cadwell

fireline
    Rochester

Nate , where would a person look for Okuma reels ?

bill mitchell

on the bargain rack? J/K really . Yuo can find okumas at fleet farm, cabelas, and I’m sure other stores carry them. i personally dont own one so I dont pay attention to where they are sold. The best thing to do is buy one of each try them both. If you dont like one or the other I’m sure you would have no problem selling to some one on this board . I’ll bet you go with the sealine!

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Hey Tom

you can find Okumas anywhere Quality reels are sold Fleet Farm Gander and Four Seasons Bill has a good point buy both and see what you like better if you fish your epuipment hard, and think your epuipment should work 100% for you than don’t buy something your not going to be happy with.

BUY A OKUMA!!!!!!!!!!

let us know what you decide on

Nate Cadwell

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

10 -1? Please clarifiy. I’ve not found ANYTHING the Okumas do better than the Daiwas. They are cheaper. They feel cheaper. Plastic star drags… flimsy reel handles…. I have one right now in my hand as I type this. The reel handle is seriously distorted in towards the reel frame and its only been used slightly. I originally purchased a set of four of these reels. I have two that have a serious malfunction that keeps the line from playing off the reel when the reel’s action is opened. In order to get the line to play off the reels I’ve found I need to take my thumb and turn the spool backwards slightly and then the spool “un-binds” and the line can then play off the reel. This is a serious internal screw-up as no matter how hard a guy tries to pull the line off the spool, the line will not come off the reel until the spool has been turned in reverse. On 50% of the reels I purchased.

Companies have been trying to come up with a product that matches the Daiwa’s bullet-proof construction for quite some time now. Nobody’s there yet. There are some good reels on the market that will do the job. But if you want to buy the best up front, just by the Daiwas.

By the way, not a single person that spoke on behalf of Daiwa on this thread has any connection to the company.

bill mitchell

James,

You could’nt have said it better. You would think that since none of us is sponsored by diawa and we talk about them as if the reels were the holy grail, that this would put it to rest. Its diawa and nothing else in my boat, my clients hands, and my undying confidence when fishing tournaments!!!

mnangler
    Wabasha, MN

I agree 100% but then why don’t they listen to the anglers and

make it in a left handed version? If the Okimuna came in a left handed version they would get my vote.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.