Monticello Miss. Report 1/19

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Few guys have PM’ed me with interest on how fishing was so just throwing this up. Got to launch about 745am couple guys fishing live bait with bobbers I beleive and from what I saw when I got there to they left no fish were taken. I traveled downstream a bit further until they left then I got into the “hole” one would say. I had no live bait just trying my luck with the artificials and the jigs, raps, and everything else failed to gain a bite. Then I usually don’t like to give out my secrets but I will just myself later. I make my own spinner setups for walleyes for shore fishing. Take your usual setup but shorten the leader to about 18inches, tie on a barrel swivel and connect the spinner rig. I personally use a split shot right above the swivel. Lets you change weight to accomodate for current situations unlike egg sinkers. The sweet spot for rivers obviously are the seams and the spinner with the right weight will just float on that seam beautifully and even with some slight wind your line will stay much tighter than it would with other lures, giving the angler a great feel of the bait the whole time. #3 colorado with the perch color with some orange beads and a 3″ powerbait emerald shiner, and that was the rig. Alot less snagless as well. Now just don’t use this down in the minneapolis area bc that is my area and its copyrighted . Anyways it was fish on(and off) from there. Few nice smallies, nice northern and my favorite a couple walleyes. They were several people up and down the shoreline when I left about 11am. Hopefully next time all the fellow Idoers who couldn’t make it we can meet next time. Awesome morning and certainly soothed my fish itch ……..for this week at least .

dbright
    Cambridge

Looks like a good time. I need to get the boat up there one of these warmer days.

a_smith

Thanks for the report. I had plans on going up there tomorrow, but the weather isn’t looking to great for fishing! Looks like I’ll just stay at home and watch hockey

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Very nice report

Looks like you had a great time and got a couple walleyes for the pan. Boy it was sure windy today and sounds like you missed most of the heavy winds. They started early in the afternoon here.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Nice job! I’ll have to try that there sometime
    We use a floating jig head down there with about a 18″ snell and just adjust the size of the floating jig to what the currents at to adjust hieght in the water with a fat or shiner. You get a similar effect where it will flow into the seam and into the fishys mouth

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Anybody venture farther north from Montissippi park? Looking at google maps I can’t figure out how far one could go before they are stopped by a fence or armed security….hopefully not the latter. Seems like you could go at least up to the big powerlines that cross over the river but not sure. Anyone have experience?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.