Upper Pool 2 bite

• DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Solid night last night. Went out w/ Nubbinbuck(Mike) and dragged some cranks around. We caught about 14 cookie cutter 17-19″ eyes (fat, scrappy fish), about that many white bass, 2-3 chunky smallies, a 3-4lb channel cat, one sheepie and a dink wally. We were on the water for just over 4 hours.

Up stream, down stream, fast, slow, constant troll or pumping, nothing seemed to work better than anything else. The fish were also scattered all over.

Flow was average and the water was relative low for this time of year.

Things should just get better…I hope so anyway.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Good to hear Dave! I see you sent some of them down my way last night with their mouth’s open this time!
    Ended up with 9 fish and 2 over that 26″ mark and the rest were solid 19″-22″ fish. Some fish came trolling for me, some came pitching cranks to the wingdams and some came pitching hair jigs as well!

Caught my biggest Sheephead to date last night as well! I cannot get over how those things fight. My guess she was up around 13#-14#.

Yep, bite is shaping up well!

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

My brother Roscoe and I got out for a day trip yesterday and we fished the middle stretch of Pool 2. After the rain passed through the wind really kicked us around a bit. I did manage to connect on one nice 24″ walleye in a back water cut.

Big E
    Saint Paul, MN area

Any consistent observations for either the trolling bite or wingdam bite?? Depth? Bottom type? Other? I’m headed out this p.m. Thanks.

nubbinbuck

A couple of things Dave omitted….

a. Parrot Ristos still catch fish (LOL)
    b. There was a tendency at times to get fish with a change in speed (stop/go). We did catch several when the other person was snagged, etc.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Big E,

My most consistent depth have been coming in the 5-8 foot ranges. Both sand flats and rip rap shorelines seem to be holding fish consistently the last couple trips out. Inside turns of the main channel are some of my trolling areas as well as entrances to backwater cuts. Both areas have excelled when current has been present.

The wingdams that have been holding fish for me last night was shallow wingies that have some silt on them. Wingdams off the beaten path has been a bit better for me. Meaning, wingdams that are secondary to the first wingdam on a long featureless stretch.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

nubbinbuck,

So what your saying is put on the biggest deep diver you own regardless of depth and get snagged to help out a buddy!! LOL!

Ojib2003

Can anybody tell me generally when the walleyes move into the backwater areas??……

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.