Pool 2 – By Moore Lake

• Pannyraid

My wife’s parents live on the backwaters of the Mississippi (Moore Lake – Grey CLoud Island), which I believe is in pool 2. My experience fishing back there is limited to catching a few carp and sheepheed off their dock. This spring I vowed to explore the area more and head out toward the main river channel. Does anyone out there have any experience fishing this area? Should I focus more on the backwaters or try the many little islands that are closer to the main river channel? Are there any walleye, sauger, or smallmouth inhabiting these areas? Any information would be appreciated.

Although I just registered today, I have been reading the posts here for the last couple months and have already learned a ton. Thanks to all those that have shared their river wisdom.

Andy

Randy

Panny-I don’t know specifically where you’re are talking about but can share my experiences. I’ve had much success catching quality ‘eyes in the spring in the areas where all the rough fish congregate. Generally, after the water rises, many fish will move back into the backwaters to avoid the current. The big females will hand right in there with the rough fish. I assume the backwaters you mentioned doesn’t have a lot of current. Give that another try this spring. Standard jig and minnow should suffice. Go as light as you can get by with in terms of jig weight. I often slip down to 1/16th. Don’t be turned off by the water getting a bit cloudy. Actually, that’s when it really turns on.

Good luck.

MONGO
    Spring Valley, Wi.

The bridge that crosses the backwater channel, just before you go up the hill by Sheily’s gravel pit can produce about any type of fish in the river. There is a slight current there and the fish seem to hang out by the bridge pillars and all the fallen timber in the area. We sometimes go down on a warm summer evening with a bucket of crawlers and a bucket of beer and kick back on the banks and drown worms and catch something of everything. Walleyes, Sauger, Largemouth Bass, Catfish, Carp, Suckers, Sheep Head etc. etc. I do know the walleye fishing is better in the spring with the high water but we have caught them in the heat of the summer also. Man I miss the heat of the summer.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.