4-stroke verses 2-stroke

• walleyetracker
    Des moines,Iowa

I brought a new boat last year,with a 2-stroke 60 hp. on it=I was really disapointed with the preformance of this engine,I ended up taking it back to the dealer and traded for a 4-stroke 75 hp. MAN,what a difference=in my opinion the only way to go is 4-stroke====WHAT’S YOUR TAKE ON IT? tightlines and good fishn’ “WALLEYETRACKER”

kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

The verdict is in! The Feds have mandated 4stroke useage by

2006. The only problems with’m which maybe corected as time goes on is : Weight and size – all the 4stokes are 35 to 200 lbs heavier than the 2’s. The power heads as you’ve noticed are the size of the old 1970’s Evinrudes (your probably to young to have ever seen one, but they where like mini bathtubs). 4strokes lose a little at top end and are noted for poor hole shots. Most guys have put on some kind of “trim plate” to help this.

But the quite’ness, the economy and the ability to back the 4stoke down into trolling speeds have really become the selling points for these new engines !!!

Gofish

Kensyl Reading——–EFN ProStaff

dball
    Clemson, SC

What would be a good 4-stoke tiller hp for a 1997 16 ft Lund deep V?

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

When you say the Feds have mandated 4 stroke usage by 2006 does that mean all that can be used are 4 strokes or will there be a grandfather clause for existing 2 strokes?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

kreading,

As I understand it, the law does not require 4-stroke usage by 2006. If I’m incorrect, please let us know where you got that info??

The 2006 emissions law is a “Low E” law. (Low Emissions) Many of the 2 strokes sold today meet that low-e law already. Including my Merc XR-6, 150 HP 2-stroke gas guzzler!!

I think a lot of the confusion is due to STATE LAWS requireing 4-stroke use on inland waters. For instance, California already has such laws.

J.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Bluefin,

Yes, all old outboards are grandfathered in. EXCEPT where STATE LAW mandates otherwise.

J.

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

Thanks Jon – I’ve got an old 20 horse merc that I would hate to have to retire.

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

Hey Dball Since the four strokes are so much heavier you might want to think about a 4 stroke 30 possibly a 35 if your boat can take all the weight in back. They aren’t lying when they say the are that much heavier. On my flat I planned on getting a 25 four stroke, but the weight was just tremendous, the boat would have been ok alone and with people in the front, but with my 204 pound ass sittin in back just alone she’d end up flippin over on me. That would suck.

walleyetracker
    Des moines,Iowa

FIND OUT WHAT THE MAXIMUN RATED HP.IS FOR YOUR BOAT AND GO WITH THAT OR AS CLOSE TO IT AS YOU CAN GET tightlines and goodfishn’ “WALLEYETRACKER”

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I am aware of clean water and clean air regulations for motors by 2006. That has been in place for a long time already. Merc Opti Max, Evinrude Ficht, and Yamaha HPDI two strokes are all compliant with the standards required by then. Four stroke only is news to me! I will have to see it to believe it!

Tuck

SNAKEYES
    Iowa

I don’t know about the EPA Laws, but I am very happy with my 50 HP Merc 4 stroke. It’s been a very good fishing motor. SNAKEYES

herb
    6ft under

I’ve seen good and bad from all makes of motors. I’ve been with evinrude since my folks let me operate one as a little s$*t. Since Bombardier took over OMC, I’ll still be an evinrude guy. I was actually leaning toward the 4-stroke yammer hammer, but I’ve seen and heard enough of Bombardier’s Evinrude Ficht to keep me fromgoing elsewhere.

PhillipT
    mn. anoka co. forest lake

I have a 99 ficht 90 hp. on a 16 mr. pike and love it. I can run from the dam to the lake twice and not burn 1/4 tank of gas.I only have a 18 gal. tank.It has the pickup and speed of a 2 stroke and the great gas mileage of a 4 stroke. Personaly I would’nt have a straight 2 stroke if it was free, and I have had a lot of them, and they all run just fine. The new ones are the best of all worlds. Just my thoughts.

kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

Ya Hey All – Sorry, what I ment was. 2006 your outboard dealer will not be selling “new” strokes because they are supposed to be fazed out. Useage of 2 & 4 storke will be dictated by the Start under Fed. guidlines and mandates.

Dball — I’d put a 40 Honda 4stroke on that rig !!!! You’ll be amazed how well your rig will troll with that set-up.

Gofish

Kensyl Reading ——–EFN ProStaff

current-break
    ROCK ISLAND, ILLINOIS

HEY KREADING

Do you have a trim plate on your merc it seams to get up on plane very easy with just your dog up front. also are you at your rated hp, or under it. im looking at rerigging an older starcraft. 16.5 ft long rated for a 85 hp with the console in.

I have removed the unit and am looking at about a 50 hp 4 stroke

thanks

CURRENT BREAK

kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

Yo Current- The rig I have now is rated for 65hp and in 2000

there where no 60hp 4strokes available, that size range was established in 2001.

I use a SESport stabilizer (Cabela’s-$39.95). I have used some type of hydro plate on 4 different rigs I’ve owned from

150hp down to the 60hp I use now. Those hydro plates give ya a much better hole shot and lateral stability for a lot fewer dollars than messing with Chopper, or with 4-5 blade props.

Gofish

james
    Ankeny Iowa

I agree the hydro plate is the way to go . It gets you up on plane very fast and some say it helps on fuel but I dought it. Could not tell anyway. You will see a BIG differance in hole shots.

fishsqzr

Does anyone know if putting a plate or a dolefin or anything on your outboard to help get it on plane quicker negates the warranty on a new motor? I have heard such comments, but really don’t know for sure. I just got a 50 hp Merc 4 stroke and was thinking of putting a plate on, but not sure I will if it affects the warrantly. Thanks

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

fishsqzr

About 4 years ago I installed a stainless steel plate on a 60 HP merc motor. At that time that type of installation did not void any part of my warranty from the manufacturer. On the more well known brands, the packaging for the plates clearly advertises to this affect.

LeoKam
    Camp Lacupolis, MN

Kreading, not trying to be a smart a$$, but you mustn’t have looked very hard. I got my Suzuki 60hp 4-stroke in July of 1999. Mounted on my 16ft. Pro-V tiller. They were hard to come by at that time. Went to Suzuki Marine’s website for list of dealers and started calling until I found one in stock.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

When I bought a new motor last year the dealer took the one off of my old motor and put it on the new motor.

kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

Ya Leo, caught me again, the Suzuki was the first and only brand to offer a 60hp late 1999 . Suzuki has had a rocky reputation, which is turning around, but I felt it was not worth the risk especially not knowing if the one on my rig was the first run off the assy. line.

Gofish

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.