Pool 2 – 494 Ramp/Road Closure

• jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Just got a call from Steve DeZurik. He reports that a sign just went up on the access road to the 494 ramp that it will close on March 24th.

As all of you Pool 2 guys know there is bridge construction going on. Looks like they are probably going to start doing work over the road soon. Only one way in and out of there so if the road is closed, the ramp is closed.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

I’m sure the St. Paul Park ramp is still iced-in but it won’t be long and that will be open. It’s a nice, double ramp.

Here’s basically how you get there. From Highway 61 take the 70th St – St. Paul Park exit. Head down the hill a couple of blocks and take a right at the Super America gas station. That’ll put you on Broadway. It’s the main drag in St. Paul Park. Go across the RR tracks and proceed a couple of more block. Take a left on 1st (by Super Mom’s bakery building). Go one block and then take a right. This will take you right down to the ramp.

This ramp is only a few miles downstream of the 494 ramp.

Boone

Schmidtty
    Lake Elmo, MN

Boone, is this a public launch or private pay launch? This time of year do you find yourselves fishing down (494 areas) or up by Hidden Falls? Would help in making a launch decision.

MasterBait

It’s a public launch in StPaul Park. Kinda nice that it’s off of the main river. Less current!!!

MasterBait

Hey Boone I’ll see you down there. I live in the first house behind SuperAmerica there. Kinda nice having a boat launch so close.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Schmidtty,

The best person to answer that question would probably be Steve DeZurik. I believe that he recently recommended fishing above the confluence of the Minnesota river because of all the mud that it was dumping into the Mississippi. So Hidden Falls or Lilydale would be the best choice right now.

Sounds like it will be another windy weekend. I’d rather have a little colder temperatures than all this wind.

Good Luck

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Schmidtty,

Boone is right about the mud in the river right now from the Mn river. Every year the Mn river lets out and along comes the mud and debris from all the tributaries that feed the Mn. I have noticed over the last couple days out that the water quality seems to be improving a tiny bit each day. With any amount of precipitation in the near future, we will be back in the same boat once again with the poor water clarity. One week ago, I had about 2 feet of visibility in the river, after last Saturday it was reduced down to about 2 inches. Like I said, it seems to be getting a little better as of late. Probably more along the lines of 3-4 inches of clarity as of yesterday.

As for the fishing…The dam area is starting to turn some fish on the lock side of the dam as well as the stretches around the confluence area. From the dam to the confluence, I would recommend fishing current breaks, water gate marina, lock side, and confluence area for best odds. The bite should pick back up very soon up here. As for south of the Mn river, the wingdams are starting to produce fish again, but its a very patient game right now. For best odds, I would fish the northern end.

Good luck

BShimp
    Hudson, WI

I tried something a little different yesterday. I live in Lakeville and usually head to the 494 ramp or Lilydale. Since I was short on time I decided to put in on the MN river at the I-35W/Lyndale launch. I takes less than 10 mintues to get to the ramp from my house and then I have about a 10 river miles to travel to the confluence. The dpeth of the MN in the center channel was 11-18 feet. So, for the same time it took driving to 494 I can be in the water and at the confluence. There is not a dock at the landing but it was plenty deep enough to launch bigger rigs. Plus, it was a nice boat ride to clean out the fogging oil and burn some fuel. I only fished for a couple hours and didn’t have any luck.

From 35W exit 106th st and go east to Lyndale. Take Lyndale south until you hit the river.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

B,

There is also a ramp under the cedar ave bridge. I used to take the same route when I lived in Burnsville.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Right between the “d” on the end of Lilydale Road and the word Lilydale to the east of that.

There is a bait shop on Water Road just past the railroad bridge NE of the landing. They are not very reliable though.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

I drove by the 494 ramp in a boat on Saturday, March 27th and I saw a truck using the ramp so it must have been open. Like I said, I was in a boat so I didn’t see any postings about when it will or will not be open but apparently it was open Saturday.

I thought the water clarity around the 494 area was quite good. No debris either. I fished some wingdams in the morning but didn’t find any fish.

Also, the St. Paul Park ramp is open and in good shape. The dock is in. I saw two DNR trucks, one with a trailer, in the parking lot when I was pulling out around noon. I thought I saw them drive by me north of the 494 bridge but they didn’t stop me. Maybe because I wasn’t fishing at the time or perhaps I just looked harmless to the fish, which I was.

Boone

Big E
    Saint Paul, MN area

Yeah, I was out on saturday (3/27) fishing above the 494 bridge and was checked by the wardens — good guys, I shot the bull with them for about 5 minutes. The wardens launched at South St. Paul and were working their way upstream. Although I didn’t ask, the conversation seemed to suggest the 494 ramp was still “out of service.” They mentioned they had been out the last few days and from the sounds of it not many guys puting fish in the boat, especially on the upper part of Pool 2.

As for me, I did pull a couple walleyes off of wingdams — but it was tough duty casting jigs in that stiff south wind and white caps.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.