Game Fish Aquariums

• quicksilver

I am interested in putting together a home aquarium populated with small gamefish, crappies, bass etc. Are there any books on this kind of thing and how do you find a licensed dealer to sell you the fish a required by the state regs?

FireBall1

I have a 135 gallon tank. You can buy gamefish from any fish store. I have walleyes,muskie,crappie, pike all in the same tank. No books on this that I’ve found. The fish are easy to take care of. I feed them feeder goldfish and they do fine. Also with these fish you dont need a tank heater. Have fun and fish on!

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

My son had some of these and thought he had to get some sort of permit from the pet store where he bought them…maybe this is not true or if caught in the wild then nothing is required?

Cyclone
    Minnesota, New Brighton

I have a 40 gallon and have some bluegill and walleye that I got from the university. It is nice the bluegill are trained to feed on flake food and the walleyes are small enough that they can take small minnows. It is easy and you don’t need a tank heater. I use one for the fact that the fish are more active and fun to watch at the warmer temps. The best thing about a tank is that they are easy to keep up and interesting to watch the fish behaviors.

Piscator
    Alma Wi 54610

I have had an aquarium at home and really had fun with it.Here in Wi. you don’t need a permit but you need to include any fish you keep in your possesion limit.Saugers seem to do better than Walleyes. Ciclid food will really bring out the colours in Sunfish.Rock bass will kill any other panfish in the tank including Crappies twice their size.

MikeT1
    St. Paul, MN

Fire Ball, what fish store did you purchase your game fish from? I just set up my 29 gallon and am still waiting to put fish in it. I really wanted to do game fish, but couldn’t find anybody to sell them. Also what are you going to do when the fish get to big for the tank?

paxtonrasm
    Woodville, WI

Filtration is the key to keeping a gamefish tank running without problems. I have had a 55 gal running for about 7 -8 years and a 120 gal going now for about 2 years. You can’t buy gamefish in WI without a permit but in MN you can and they typically give you a bill of sale as proof. Keep to buying goldfish as feeders because if you keep using minnows from a bait store, sooner or later your fish will get infected with some virus or other problem. Set up a small 10 or 20 gal to keep goldfish in and on hand. Obviously buy the correct size goldfish for the fish your feeding. If you decide to bring home a fish from the lake keep it in a seperate tank for at least 1 week and monitor it. Don’t bring anything into your tank that has spots or white stuff on or around the gills. Just a warning – this hobby can and probably will get expensive and time consuming. ——————————–Pax

bear
    Trempealeau

Here is the link to the WI DNR regulations on keeping fish in aquariums.

Bear

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

I have a 55 gallon for sale Cheap..send a PM for more info……………. And some Books on care and health of our liittle finney friends….

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

Interested in that tank dude….give me a holler

quicksilver

Thanks for all your info guys but where can you buy fishies in Minnesota? I live in Rochester

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

foster arends has a nice asst. of small crappies!!!!!!

Mayowood has the cutest little sunnys and bluegills this side of the mississippi!!!!

FireBall1

I bought my fish from A Wet Pet in apple valley, MN.

Most all stores I go to have them in this area.

I never got any permit.

Disease free food is really important.

Crappies do very well, try to limit the # of bass.

walleyes tend to stay near bottom “suprise”

pike and muskie will range.

My tank is 6 feet long 2 feet high 18 inches deep 135 gal

2 filters “emperor”

Its a hit with all the company good luck!

“Its Time”

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

My brother has had a 55 gal for a few years. He has been able to find fish from local pet shops in the Twin City area. One of his prized possessions was a gar fish. This started as a 1 1/2″ fish and grew to 10″ before it died. Feeding time was always entertaining. I believe the Minn law provides for kids to be able to catch fish for a home aquarium. This way you could get larger fish than what a pet shop has.

Ershaddy

I always prefer to buy any aquariums product from DELETED.

diamondaquatics.com

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Post deleted by Suzuki

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mike, the post was from 2002. The tell tale sign was that good ol’ Dino left us a few years back. RIP Dino

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.