Pool 4 fall fishing

• RB50
    Iowa

Been on the river the last three wednesdays. Had good luck fishing the wisc. side below the dam. Anchoring an fishing jigs an minnows an three ways. Tried plastics an they didn’t want anything to do with it for me. I have a question to ask some of you that are up there not putting an anchor out an staying in one place. Are you using the ipilot ? The two guys I had fishing with me have the ipilot an they said there’s would not be able to hold them in that current. I have a minn kota V2 70lb 24 volt an thought about converting it to the Ipilot. Will it hold me ? Anything is better than messing with an achor !!

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I would think it would hold you with the flow where it’s at right now. I haven’t thrown an anchor since I took delivery of my boat in March. I have an 80lb. xi5. I mostly fish the Mississippi and have anchored in some pretty swift spring and summer current this year. Those boats you saw more than likely had an anchor lock. What size trolling motors do you buds have that said they can’t anchor in the present current?

RB50
    Iowa

One has a 55 lb and the other has a 70lb thrust.

Carl S

My 80lb Terrova has been holding me with spot lock in most locations on the river this fall in my 18 ft. Lund. I’ve only had a couple instances where I’ve been pushed off by the current. Wind usually gives me the most problems when using spot lock.

Rainbow620

Don’t know if anyone is interested but I have a terrova 101 with ipilot and the link up for sale I upgraded to the 112 terrova but can guarantee the motor will hold about any rig on anchor along the river! I have a 620 and it worked flawless! My buddy bought a ulterra so I couldn’t resist his offer to buy his 112! $1000 could be your early Xmas present to yourself let me know! 641-220-0168 thanks

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I have a 17 ft Lund with an 80 lb 24 v Terrova.
    The current is a little high for this time of year.
    I tend to set up in a little more current than most others.
    It takes a few minutes until it stops overcorrecting.
    The motor hits 8 of 10 a lot
    and I can hold spot lock for 5-6 hours.
    I do set the drift alarm on the Humminbird
    so I know when the batteries die
    and can avoid making contact with other boats.

Jonesy

Last time I would out I used spot lock the entire time and it held me in place. Every time I looked at the remote I was on setting 2-3 so not bad. My boat is a 98 Alumacraft Tournament Pro 170 CS and my motor is a terrova 80#.

My old boat, a 96 Dominator CS had a 55# powerdrive and it would hold me without issues also.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I have a 2013 Crestliner 1750 Fishhawk w a 115 Yammy and a 5 yr old Terrova 80#…I have spot locked P4 when the rollers were wide open with trees coming down river…I have also done the same on the Wolf, Fox and Menominee in heavy current…no problems

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Being honest I always scoffed at guys relying on spotlock so much for river use. Granted I could see the ease of being instantly mobile, but with my 14′ boat and 12# anchor what’s the big deal?

That was until I got a way bigger boat with a 25# Richter and a 5′ chain, will humble a guy really quick. Can’t wait to setup spotlock on the boat now.

Anyone still fishing down on P4? North metro fishing been pretty darned slow for myself. Lots of lil fish, hard to come by anything bigger than 13″. Couldn’t even get a bite this morning.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Spot lock is fantastic. My poor anchor sees very little use any more. Owning a minnkota my next trolling motor will be a motor guide.

cupspits

U will regret going to motor guide used minn Kota for years switched to new motor guide thing is horrible with the remote u can’t tell what’s going on if it’s on or off very annoying

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Love my xi5 with position lock as opposed to area lock.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

U will regret going to motor guide used minn Kota for years switched to new motor guide thing is horrible with the remote u can’t tell what’s going on if it’s on or off very annoying

If you’ve got a 36v xi5, I’d be willing to trade my 112 terrova straight up.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.