Pool 2 Walleye

• Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Water is still cold and dirty….35 degrees at the spots I was on.

A little slow today…was out for 3 hours and boated 4 but one was this piggy….27.5”. Slow, slow, slow dragging live bait upstream. Others were all males in the upper teens.

Attachments:
    1. D915AF0C-8CC6-447C-9A86-E60DE8DA4EB1.jpeg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Look how thick that fish is. Awesome sauce.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Nice fish Matt. Thanks for the tip on live bait yesterday. I was thinking you had a tiller for some reason, didn’t realize that was you in the white lund until your post today. I was in the black/grey lunker. Never caught a fish on plastics yesterday, but did see a couple boated by others on them. All 7 of my fish hit a jig and minnow.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Nice fish Matt. Thanks for the tip on live bait yesterday. I was thinking you had a tiller for some reason, didn’t realize that was you in the white lund until your post today. I was in the black/grey lunker. Never caught a fish on plastics yesterday, but did see a couple boated by others on them. All 7 of my fish hit a jig and minnow.

Nice, it was good chatting with you for a few minutes. I gave plastics one pull and went straight to live bait. Just seems to work better when the fish are finicky. I couldn’t believe the fish I was marking but had to work really hard to get them in the boat. Wish I could’ve stayed out a bit longer because it seemed like 1 fish per drag in that spot.

Only thing about live bait is it seems to attract those small males….I do think you get bigger fish on the plastics or pulling raps. It seemed like a dead sea with those approaches yesterday, though.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Anybody going out tomorrow (Thursday)? I’ll be the guy shorefishing the inlet below Ft Snelling on the Mississippi side. Hoping the brief warm up will bring fish shallow.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Got out from about 6 to 8….no big fish but decent numbers and all males. Check out the tail on this one. Wish I had a better pic of this fish….he looked like a grizzled old veteran.

Attachments:
    1. 4563BE6F-7CF9-4012-8250-C616A7383FD5.jpeg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I was out shorefishing. Slow but caught two 15-17 inchers that had nice bellies on them. Also had a big white sucker EAT a moxie! Thought it was a nice walleye….. doah

Attachments:
    1. DFE1C1B9-A94D-4506-A074-13A29F0CD7C9.jpeg

2. ABEC21D1-9D3F-408F-A88D-E5ECDE82EACC.jpeg

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Mahto, I saw you out there yesterday. Later afternoon I did a draft from the bridge past you guys right before I left for the day. Was that your utility cart that you guys hiked in?

I caught one tiny walleye on the first drop of a rippin rap.

Steve Pfeifer

Anybody heading out in the snowstorm this weekend?

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Not me, total blank last night in 4 hours. Never even had a sniff. I am done with the river for now. doah

PS. I am just bitter, but as soon as the weather warms I’ll prolly be back out there whistling

Rod Bent

Has anybody checked out the channel behind Grey Cloud island? Wondering how the new bridge is working out.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I was out shorefishing. Slow but caught two 15-17 inchers that had nice bellies on them. Also had a big white sucker EAT a moxie! Thought it was a nice walleye….. doah

I caught about a 10# cat that I was convinced was the state record walleye as I was dragging it up…..I like catching fish of all sizes but it sure was a buzzkill when we got him to the boat.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

I was out from 7-4 yesterday and caught a dozen walleye/sauger and 1 nice white bass. Biggest was 22″s for me, but saw several 26-27 fish caught so big fish are still staging. Boat traffic was heavy most of the day which may have slowed the bite some. Early was best for me, but fish were caught all day in between slow periods. Water is still dropping and temps were up to 40. Jig n minnow and plastics both caught fish. I was thinking the bite would be great before the storm, but I think that may have been offset by all the traffic on the river.

We got out a bit before 6am yesterday, got 4 on our first drag including a fat 26.5″ and 21″ sauger, both dropped eggs on the bump board. It slowed pretty quickly once the area filled with boats.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Mahto, I saw you out there yesterday. Later afternoon I did a draft from the bridge past you guys right before I left for the day. Was that your utility cart that you guys hiked in?

I caught one tiny walleye on the first drop of a rippin rap.

Pool2Fool I knew that was you. I recognized your boat and figured it had to have been you. Yeah that’s my cart. Usually use it catfishing but my buddy brings his whole garage when he goes walleye fishing. Here’s how my day went, with a pretty hilarious save on the one walleye I did end up catching!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Mahto, try slow rolling cranks over that spot….bang them slowly off the bottom. There’s a big drop near there and rolling cranks in that shallower water can produce. Use something that will run 6 to 8 feet deep, hit bottom, pause, and repeat.

Sweet video!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Mahto, try slow rolling cranks over that spot….bang them slowly off the bottom. There’s a big drop near there and rolling cranks in that shallower water can produce. Use something that will run 6 to 8 feet deep, hit bottom, pause, and repeat.

Sweet video!

Thanks Matt. That’s the first time I’ve walked over to that spot from the confluence and I thought about cranks and jerkbaits but didn’t bring them.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Did I see a 3rd line in that one shot with the sucker? Excuse me if I am wrong

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Nope. I brought a cat rod with me but it was just sitting in the rod holder. No line in the water.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Nope. I brought a cat rod with me but it was just sitting in the rod holder. No line in the water.

Ah, my mouth gets ahead of my brain once again. Carry on!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Ah, my mouth gets ahead of my brain once again. Carry on!

No problem. I get a little testy when I see people using too many lines also.

Viewing 21 posts - 61 through 81 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.