Pool 2 Report (2019)

• JasonP
    Twin Cities

I’ve got a 25 with it and that needs to be fully warmed up before it will work.

If you don’t have one, it might be good to get something like a Tinytac to monitor and adjust the rpm setting.

Thanks! I’ll check into that.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Got to love the weed cops at the landings. Have had a few times where my boat is in the water before they make it off the park bench to say something.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Bites tough on the lower end still. Had a couple hours this afternoon but couldn’t put much together.

Water is down just a bit but flow is still fast and it’s dirty. Water has cooled to about 66 so I’d expect the bite to pick up. Talked to a couple other boats not having much luck either.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The bite for me yesterday was better than last weekend. Caught 7 nice walleyes between 18 and 26″s. 5 hit while casting crankbaits to the wingdams. The biggest one hit a jig and crawler. Sure hope we dont get much rain this week. River is shaping up nice for the contest next weekend.

Attachments:
    1. 20190928_222518.jpg

Cody Meyers

We fished the upper end Saturday morning and picked up 10 walleyes and a variety of the other usual suspects. Nothing was the clear winner presentation wise, jigs and plastics, hair jigs, and blades all caught a few fish. Picked up one fish over 22” but all the others were dinks.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Looks like she’s going to come back up again and level off the next few days. Be interested to see how that affects the tourney and fishing this weekend. Hopefully it doesn’t push a bunch of dirty water back in.

purehd
    Newport mn

Any one been out with the high water?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Any one been out with the high water?

Check out the thread about the Hog Haul in the walleye tourney section.

My time on the lower end has been tough recently. The upper end has cleaner water but it’s mainly small fish right now.

The next week or so looks pretty tough with a fast rise again. Hopefully she stabilizes a bit after that and we get a good stretch.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

High and going higher in a hurry! Good chance Lions will close the lower lot if it goes under. Bite on the lower end was tuff yesterday. smash

-J.

Attachments:
    1. pool2oct82019.jpg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Looks like it has another foot or so to rise based on the predictions – who knows what the pending rain is going to do to that.

If anyone has ramp reports let me know. Might give it a go Sunday if it’s not raining. Not sure if 494 will be open. If anyone knows if they close Hidden Falls Park let me know.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Not sure if any public ramps will be open this weekend. Willies right next to Lions will be open. Watergate I would bet will be open.

tangler
    Inactive

Looks like it has another foot or so to rise based on the predictions – who knows what the pending rain is going to do to that.

If anyone has ramp reports let me know. Might give it a go Sunday if it’s not raining. Not sure if 494 will be open. If anyone knows if they close Hidden Falls Park let me know.

I drive by HF daily, I’ll post if it’s closed.

tangler
    Inactive

HF is closed. Water over the top of the ramp, barricades up.

Attachments:
    1. 5669A133-2FCE-493E-B290-8565E8FC3290.jpeg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Running through the new Grey Cloud culvert on Monday afternoon in Mike W’s new boat. No problems at the culvert, but there are some shallow water spots just down from there. Don’t think I’ll be taking the Ranger through there any time soon!

-J.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

We ran back there on Saturday and wondered if you could make it through there.

I’d agree, not taking my ranger through either.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

That’s the upper culvert right? Not the one at Mooere’s lake?

The lower culvert is much narrower if I recall. I’ve never run the upper but I have run the lower several times and it is white knuckle every time. Dicey.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

That’s the upper culvert right?

Yes, the new one about a mile south of Lions. waytogo

-J.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Running through the new Grey Cloud culvert on Monday afternoon in Mike W’s new boat. No problems at the culvert, but there are some shallow water spots just down from there. Don’t think I’ll be taking the Ranger through there any time soon!

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe title=”Grey cloud culvert” width=”850″ height=”478″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/Rzgg8MzeOvU?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>
    -J.

Jon thanks for posting that. One of my best friends bought a house right on that little back water run there about 5 lots in from that culvert. Fished it a couple times from his land and did pretty well on panfish but it was so weedy before they opened it back up. Was hoping the weeds would clear out a bit but haven’t been back in there for awhile.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Look a bit full at the 494 access.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20191010_153316_083.jpg

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Does anyone know if the spring lake launch is still available? The last time I launched there was about 4 yrs ago.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Plenty of duck hunters using that launch a few weeks back.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Weather was once again a little rough this weekend but this fish didn’t seem to mind. They seem to be settling into their high water spots nicely and putting the fall feed bags on. Still hitting a bit of everything. Hairjigs went very well today.

Attachments:
    1. 20191013_210250.jpg

2. 20191013_210121.jpg

3. 20191013_210014.jpg

4. 20191013_205952.jpg

5. 20191013_210035.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe title=”Grey cloud culvert” width=”850″ height=”478″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/Rzgg8MzeOvU?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>
    -J.

We did run this culvert a few more times this weekend. Sunday the water was really moving through there. Going down river through it is no issue. Getting back up you will need some power. The waves created at the lower end of the culvert are such that you need to slow up to get through them. Once through them you need to punch it to shoot up the culvert. Make sure your motor is trimmed all the way down for this otherwise your nose might just come up and smack the top of the culvert. This should get better this week as water levels fall but then there will be shallow spots to deal with farther down this side channel.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Nice fish there, Mike! toast

-J.

buschman
    Pool 2

We have been doing good with 5 inch swim baits and deep cranks this last weekend… They are putting weight on fast now!! Big difference from 10 days ago! We should see this bite get better as the water drops over the next week or two. Mike, was good to see you guys down there this weekend! We had the river to ourselves. I only seen you and one other guy out in the boat this weekend.

Attachments:
    1. pool-2-10-13-3.jpg

2. pool-2-10-13-2019.jpg

3. pool-2-10-13-2.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

No kiddin Joe. After 2 days of fishing that fantastic weekend weather working today was killing me. Sure was tempting to run down this afternoon but would of only got a couple hours to fish. Anniversary diner tomorrow night so guessing I wont make it out then either. Got to love the feel of those big eyes sucking in jigs.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Did you guys launch at Lions? Was going to go to head to Mille lacs late this week but I think the river is a better option.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Lions is open, but only barely. You sort of launch from the area where you’d normally be unhooking the straps and putting the plug in. But we used it yesterday. If the river doesn’t rise any further I’d expect it to stay open, and if not you can always pay to launch next door at Willie’s.

Joe, you forgot to put up the picture of your small fish! Thanks for letting Arthur hold it, and for putting up with a 5 year old!! waytogo

Attachments:
    1. B92D4A3F-E12D-4282-91D9-D74C0FD6D809.jpeg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Looks like it’ll be down a foot by Thursday afternoon. Still need to make a decision on where we end up but with some sun and warmer weather I’d think they would be on the chew.

Great pic….nice job getting the little guy out!

Viewing 30 posts - 211 through 240 (of 434 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.