Pool 2 Report (2019)

• buschman
    Pool 2

Mike Olson Senior is the guy in the red ranger… It is actually a super nice guy but know what your talking about. I am pretty familiar with the areas he fishes and know he gets in your bubble if your there.. haha.. He’s a bass fisherman that runs into a few walleyes. You can fish right behind him and catch fish lol

I only made it out on Saturday. 1pm-9pm.. Yep 9pm and not for any bad reason. We were catching fish. My buddy John jumped in the boat with me at 4:45 so we milked the weather for as long as we could on Saturday.

The fish did not move very far from where they were a week ago. They just moved up/down stream and into faster water. We caught quite a few in the 25-27 inch range but nothing over 28. I will say I was surprised how fast of water they were in on Saturday. Just getting them back to the boat was a challenge at times. Cranks and swim baits caught all our fish. Most were in less than 5 FOW. A few might have been 8 ft down but would say 9 out of 10 were shallow. Hope that helps?

The bite should remain as it has been.. Any given day you have to make some adjustments out there. It is a rare deal when you can fish the same spot with the same bait for a week or two in a row with success.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I would agree….Friday they seemed to be inside the current seams and very shallow. Saturday they were outside of the current seam in fast current. Made a 20” fish feel much larger. I also had about a 10# sheep head crush a rip n rap up shallow. I thought I had a world record walleye hooked up!

Every fish I caught was in less than 8’ all weekend. Shallow and sharp shoreline breaks seemed to be the best pattern for me.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Getting closer to fishing time again. Anyone else going to be out on Friday? Lions closed again?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Water levels are looking good for the weekend. Slow rise shouldn’t effect the bite to much. At 10′ Lions should still be open to. Seems to close closer to 11′.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20191024-083427_Chrome.jpg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I might try and get out Saturday for a bit – looks like the better day of the weekend.

buschman
    Pool 2

I will be down there.. Hopefully for a bit tomorrow and Saturday.

I will drive down to the ramp tomorrow at lunch and let you all know if they have the road bocks up. Sure hope not.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Do you guys think the water clarity will be any better or just the overall water level will be lower? Debating on crappie fishing in the boat or shorefishing the river tomorrow.

buschman
    Pool 2

The water clarity will be no better tomorrow than what we have right now. The water is on the way back up a little so will have more color before less. I was out last night for a few cast and the water looked pretty good yet. Not too dirty. fishing should be consistent to what we saw last weekend.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Do you guys think the water clarity will be any better or just the overall water level will be lower? Debating on crappie fishing in the boat or shorefishing the river tomorrow.

Crappies are chewing right now. Did well north of the metro last week.

Attachments:
    1. 20191019_114656.jpg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Not nearly as much rise as they had originally predicted so fishing should be good. I just got the go ahead to get out tomorrow morning so hopefully see some of you out there. I’ll probably launch about 0730 and give it a go for a few hours.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Fished yesterday morning. Bite or conditions hadn’t changed much from last weekend. Water level was down a bit. Biggest difference yesterday was they seemed to want plastics over hair jigs. Other than that the bite was good.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Got out for a few hours today. Like Mike mentioned, pretty similar to last weekend. Did pretty well with almost all fish on cranks. A few on jig and minnow but they were mostly small.

Nothing real big but they are putting the feedbag on. Fish are fat right now!

procor
    Mounds View, MN

Well, thinking of making my first visit to Pool 2 this year and try some high water fishing. As of yesterday, does anyone know of the 494 ramp is still open? Thanks.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Believe 494 has been closed for a few weeks now. Think the water levels need to get nack to around 10′ for it to open. Lions was open Friday but the water has been on the rise the last couple days.

Sharon
    SE Metro

This is the 494 access this morning. She’s a little full, I’d say! And still closed.

Attachments:
    1. 20191028_082517.jpg

procor
    Mounds View, MN

Well, I guess I will make a trip to Lions and see….if anyone knows if it is open for sure, can you please let us know. I will post if it is open when I get down there.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

If Lions is closed you can always put in at Willies. Just put the ramp fee in the box.

-J.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Let us know if Lions is still open. The dock there will be under water and good chance you will want rubber boats for the landing. There is also a stump just down river of the dock to keep an eye out for to.

buschman
    Pool 2

This is the 494 access this morning. She’s a little full, I’d say! And still closed.

Man, that dock is jacked too!! These docks got the crap kicked out of them this year.

I fished this past Friday and Saturday.. The bite was all on plastics Friday and size was down a little from past trips. Saturday was totally different. Only 2 fish came on plastic and everything else ate crank baits. They had to be suspending cranks and all the fish but one ate the bait on the pause. Long pauses was key!!! No monsters. I caught a pair of 27’s Saturday and quite a few over the two days that were 24-26. There is good size structure showing up right now if you can find them and they should only get heavier over the next couple weeks.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

Lions was open, but the fish’s mouths were not. Went up river and down river fishing every current seam I knew and found. Fished mostly plastics and tried cranks and meat for a little bit too. Got bumped a couple times, but no stink on my hands today. Water clarity was still about 12”. Lions dock is underwater and stump is sticking out of water still by 10”. Pretty easy launching and landing boat.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Gonna explore down by Grey Cloud a bit more this weekend. Does anyone know if you can cut through here in the higher water? I ventured back there but it seems to get very shallow very quickly.

Attachments:
    1. 7AC18E78-7787-46EC-9707-58F485CA28DF.jpeg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Yea, you can get through there in high water. Stay along the right side of your arrow until you get to the barges. You can go left or right from there. Left into Brewers or Right to the main channel.

Mostly wood and mud. Go slow and you will be ok.

-J

buschman
    Pool 2

If you make it back to our friend with a construction vest on and hard hat take a picture… He should still be hanging around back there. You will know it when you see it lol

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

If you make it back to our friend with a construction vest on and hard hat take a picture… He should still be hanging around back there. You will know it when you see it lol

That was a little freaky seeing that back there. First thought was the guy farted in the crane tower. lol

-J.

buschman
    Pool 2

We gave it a 8.5 out of 10 for creativity. Will be fun to see how long he makes it.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Now I’m curious and I have to head back there…..

dbright
    Cambridge

Someone really needs to restock his cooler by now.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The maiden of Baldwin Lake. Its made it through the high water so far. He sees all and knows all thats going on back there.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

The maiden of Baldwin Lake. Its made it through the high water so far. He sees all and knows all thats going on back there.

I respect him – that guy fishes A LOT!

Viewing 30 posts - 271 through 300 (of 434 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.