Pool 2 Report (2024)

• parker brown

walleye bite has been pretty good these past 3-4 weeks for me and my buddies. most of our luck has been with jig an minnow along current seams and wing dams. Recently avg 15 walleye a day with some smallmouth, pike, and white bass in the mix.

dirtywater

Crank bite still going strong. Fished 2 hours tonight, 8 walleyes and one of the nicer channel cats I’ve caught on a crankbait. Biggest walleye was 21 today. Sweet spot was a little shallower than last time out, 6-8 feet.

Nice little mayfly hatch going out there right now, picked up as the night went on. By 830 I started seeing fish eating them on the surface. By the time I started running back to the ramp I was wishing I had a windshield!

dirtywater

Nice LMB!

One thing I haven’t seen much of the last few summers are pike. Usually run into a few decent ones each summer but nothing the last couple years.

I have caught fewer smallmouth as well. Not targeting them but they used to be pretty prevalent in my walleye spots. I used to catch several every trip and haven’t seen any this year.

Jim

Were those mayflies? They were white. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them before.
    According to the DNR fisheries survey, Pool 2 water clarity is too low for site finders like largemouth, smallmouth and pike.
    I did get this one and some small ones tight to shore Monday AM. Not big but bent the rod.
    From the 2008 survey report:
    Pool 2 is not ideal habitat for largemouth and smallmouth bass as the water clarity dramatically decreases after the Minnesota River confluence. Decent bass are present, but the numbers present are relatively low as bass are largely sight predators and are at a disadvantage.
    Other game fish sampled in low abundance were bluegill, black crappie, white crappie, and northern pike. Again, conditions are not optimal in Pool 2 for these other game fish as water clarity in most of Pool 2 is poor, which puts these sight feeding game fish at a disadvantage

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0028-scaled.jpeg

dirtywater

I am fishing upstream from the confluence where the clarity is better. Still not ideal but better than after the MN dumps in. I have been fishing this stretch for about 10 years and have always caught a good mix of smb and np in my walleye spots on cranks. Have never caught lmb but I know they are caught in certain areas of the lower pool (greycloud i believe think).

I see the white fly hatch every year about this time on p2. I have always called them white mayflies but I could be wrong.
    https://wiflyfisher.com/ephoron-leukon-mayfly-hatch.asp

Jim

You are correct, white mayflies. I didn’t know.
    Ephoron (White Flies)
    Mayflies
    Caddisflies
    Stoneflies
    Taxonomic Navigation -?-
    Kingdom Animalia (Animals)
    » Phylum Arthropoda (Arthropods)
    Ephoron album
    White Fly
    Ephoron leukon
    White Fly

On certain rivers in late summer the Ephoron mayflies gives new meaning to the words “blizzard-like hatch,” because their large white bodies give a true snowstorm appearance to their enveloping swarms. This is the most intense aquatic insect hatch of the year in places, and sometimes the flies are so thick that it’s hard to get a trout to find one’s imitation among the carpet of real insects on the water.

Ephoron leukon is most important species in the East and Ephoron album in the West.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

“According to the DNR fisheries survey, Pool 2 water clarity is too low for site finders like largemouth”.

Tell that to the thousands of LMB I’ve caught at night: absolute pitch black without any light at all, and they find rubber worms. I think lack of habitat has a lot more to do with this than water clarity.

Steve

Jim

I think the difference is on clearer water LMB can see the silhouette of prey or a lure/bait at night. I’m thinking black jitterbug at night on a lake.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Lake Elmo back in the 70’s was a muddy mess. The water clarity was poor. And it produced large numbers of big Bass. And again, the middle of the night in dingy water and they didn’t have any trouble finding black rubber worms on the bottom of the lake. The lateral line is at least as important as eyesight.

SR

Prodigyboatsguy

Was out for the first time in a week or so. Bite is good. Got out for 3-4 hours. Managed 8 eyes probably 20 smallies. 15-20 crappies 12-14 white bass and loads of sheep head.

Nothing big. Can’t seem to find the big eyes or big fish in general. But was fun getting those 20ish 1-2.5lb smallies. Biggest eye was actually a sauger. 16”. The rest were small eyes 8”-14” smallies were sub 6 foot on rocks. Eyes were 5-8 foot and same goes for the rest of the fish. Oh besides the crappies. They were in 8-12 foot. All nice ones. 10-13.5”

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Was out for the first time in a week or so. Bite is good. Got out for 3-4 hours. Managed 8 eyes probably 20 smallies. 15-20 crappies 12-14 white bass and loads of sheep head.

Nothing big. Can’t seem to find the big eyes or big fish in general. But was fun getting those 20ish 1-2.5lb smallies. Biggest eye was actually a sauger. 16”. The rest were small eyes 8”-14” smallies were sub 6 foot on rocks. Eyes were 5-8 foot and same goes for the rest of the fish. Oh besides the crappies. They were in 8-12 foot. All nice ones. 10-13.5”

I’ll bet I know where you were fishing. This is the time of the year for small male walleyes but the other species make up for it. Nice job.

dirtywater

A bit slower day for me today compared to the last few weekends. The idiot element was STRONG on upper p2 today. Haven’t seen so many boats going so fast without regard to their surroundings all year. Still managed 7 in 3 hours of fishing with a nice 18” sauger being the highlight for me.

I did run into my first smb, white bass, and pike of the season today.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_8016-scaled.jpeg

LabDaddy1

Idk, I have caught plenty of smallies this year (on the upper end), biggest being about 20” or 21”.

I haven’t had the boat out since spring, but best night was about 10 walleyes, biggest touching 25”, and a couple 18-19s coming on topwater tight to shore. They both SMASHED the choppo so hard I was sure I had a big smallmouth. Those would be my roughly 5th or 6th topwater eyes, all from upper p2, and all on poppers and ploppers.

Definitely lacking nice pike tho compared to past years. Haven’t caught one this year there.

Oh yeah, and I have caught one little LMB by the Minnehaha creek inlet before. I know there is a decent population on the lower end around grey cloud and spring lake, and I’m sure a few pop up on wing dams here and there.

dirtywater

Idk, I have caught plenty of smallies this year (on the upper end), biggest being about 20” or 21”.

I haven’t had the boat out since spring, but best night was about 10 walleyes, biggest touching 25”, and a couple 18-19s coming on topwater tight to shore. They both SMASHED the choppo so hard I was sure I had a big smallmouth. Those would be my roughly 5th or 6th topwater eyes, all from upper p2, and all on poppers and ploppers.

Definitely lacking nice <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike tho compared to past years. Haven’t caught one this year there.

Oh yeah, and I have caught one little LMB by the Minnehaha creek inlet before. I know there is a decent population on the lower end around grey cloud and spring lake, and I’m sure a few pop up on wing dams here and there.

Nice, good to know they are still around and growing to good size. I don’t target them but I’ve always picked up a bunch trolling for walleyes. I’m guessing my lack of smallies on this tactic right now has more to do with this year’s conditions than diminished population. There is also a LOT of cover near shorelines right now with all that downed timber.

The pike I caught yesterday was tiny but I was still glad to see it. It inhaled my flicker and took a treble to the gills so it became easy eagle food.

Prodigyboatsguy

Matt, I bet you do. The smallies have been in that spot for a few weeks. A guy can blow through a scoop of fat heads if he so chooses to stick it out at this spot. About endless numbers of em really. May start venturing out now that I know where some decent fishing is in hops to find some bigger fish.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Definitely lacking nice <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike tho compared to past years. Haven’t caught one this year there.

Shore fishing the upper end at dusk and night can be awesome. I’ve caught my best fishing casting parallel to shore. In the clear water you can see them chasing the baits. Fun way to catch them.

3Rivers

Just a heads up to all of the Pool 2 anglers that we will be having an annual catfish contest out of 494 next Sat 8/24 from 4 to midnight. There will be additional traffic in and out of that ramp all afternoon, evening, and night.
    Sorry for any inconvenience.

Prodigyboatsguy

Got out again. Fishing was very good. Again nothing big but 25-30 eyes. Most sub 15” with 6 between 16-18” lots and lots of sheep head and white bass as well as a few crappie, lots of smallies, 4 pike, and a common carp. 4 hours of fishing and a total of close to 60 fish it was fun. Still shallow. Sub 10 foot.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Doing it the hard way. Out this morning chasing Smallies and White Bass with my 8 eight and streamer. And then this guy shows up. Actually caught 3 Walleyes this morning and only one White Bass.

Steve

Attachments:
    1. FlyRodWalleye.jpg

CBMN
    North Metro

Nice eye on a fly Rootski. I haven’t been down in a while but going to be on the Mississippi somewhere this weekend.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Doing it the hard way. Out this morning chasing Smallies and White Bass with my 8 eight and streamer. And then this guy shows up. Actually caught 3 <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleyes this morning and only one White Bass.

Steve

I wouldn’t expect that to be the spot to catch a walleye on a fly rod. That’s great.

Ever head to the upper end of P2 and fly fish there? I have to believe the smallies are chasing bait along the shorelines up there. That bite usually goes til early fall.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Matt it was a short wingdam with a nice current seam running down the length of it. A perfect setup to swing a streamer. You’re right, most places would be out of reach mainly due to the depth.

I don’t know the top of the pool at all. I don’t know where the launches are, etc. I need to figure that out as I think the Smallies are bigger up there.

Steve

dirtywater

Matt it was a short wingdam with a nice current seam running down the length of it. A perfect setup to swing a streamer. You’re right, most places would be out of reach mainly due to the depth.

I don’t know the top of the pool at all. I don’t know where the launches are, etc. I need to figure that out as I think the Smallies are bigger up there.

Steve

Watergate marina is really nice and sheltered but it’s expensive— I think 15 weekdays and 20 weekends.

Fort snelling state park has a dock and is free if you have a state park sticker on your vehicle. The launch is on the MN river but you just swing down around pike island and you’re on the miss.

Lilydale and Hidden Falls are options if you don’t mind not having a dock.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Steve

Water is low so I’d just launch at Hidden Falls park. The rock shorelines from the dam to the confluence hold fish. Lots of little area with downed trees and other structure for smallies to hide in. My biggest smallies up there is 21.5” but there are a ton of 14-18” fish up there.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steve Root wrote:</div>

Steve

Water is low so I’d just launch at Hidden Falls park. The rock shorelines from the dam to the confluence hold fish. Lots of little area with downed trees and other structure for smallies to hide in. My biggest smallies up there is 21.5” but there are a ton of 14-18” fish up there.

The water is low, but I was out there on Tuesday and surprised how fast the current was moving!

Prodigyboatsguy

Finally a nice eye. Got out this AM before the traffic. Managed 71 fish with 22 of them being eyes. 26.5” and second best was a 22” after that lots of 15-18” with a few sub 15”.

Attachments:
    1. 1CBCE33F-7E04-4937-8348-47FD97204841-scaled.jpeg

buschman
    Pool 2

I have caught some pretty impressive LMB in pool 2. Not often but some of the biggest LMB bass I have caught were in P2. The Smallmouth population is great in P2. No doubt there. Size is ok but have only seen a couple SMB go over 20 in.

Here is a photo of a good one. Think I already posted this one.

Attachments:
    1. P2-LMB.png

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Pool 2 LMB.

-J.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1319-scaled.jpeg

Brian Bataglia

What’s the chatter further down towards Newport? This rain I’m sure isn’t helping the clarity and current… Wondering if it’s worth trying to get out this week to drag some cranks. Anyone launch in this section lately have advice?

buschman
    Pool 2

What’s the chatter further down towards Newport? This rain I’m sure isn’t helping the clarity and current… Wondering if it’s worth trying to get out this week to drag some cranks. Anyone launch in this section lately have advice?

The rain will only help IMO.. But I prefer the water moving.

Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 278 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.