Plowing snow with 1/2 ton pickup

• DFP
    Haverhill Iowa

I am looking at upgrading my 2014 1/2 ton pickup this fall. I also have a 3/4 ton truck that I plan to keep around for varied tasks which includes snow plowing. I do not plow for hire. I thought I would purchase a new pickup preferably with a snow plow prep package. The only way I would put a plow on the new 1/2 ton pickup would be if something happened to the old 3/4 ton truck that would be too expensive to put money into it.

After all of this. My question is —- Do any of you have a snow plow on a newer 1/2 ton pickup?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Not going to matter much about the 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck. It’s all about getting enough traction. One of my clients has a driveway that is about 3/4 of a mile long. Our plow guy uses a 1/2 ton. Beds loaded for weight and he has minimal issues

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

x2 on what Randy said.

My Father-In-Law has a nice V-Plow on a 1996 F150 1/2 ton 5 speed (runs on propane). He sets a slab of cement in the back with his forklift, secures it down, and swears it’s the best plow truck made. He owns trucks from that 1/2 ton all the way up to a box truck, propane tanker, 2 old jeeps, and a 2 year old F350 and he chooses that truck first for plowing.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I would think plow size may come into play just like with ATV’s?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I would think plow size may come into play just like with ATV’s?

Yes 100 percent. A 1/2 ton can plow just fine. But make sure the front end can handle the plow. I had a old 1/2 ton ford I plowed with and added 3/4 ton springs in front. Made a huge difference

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

If you are buying NEW, I would look into the actual cost of 1/2 ton vs 1 ton. Not that far off when going gas engine.
    Also compare the cost of tabs from 3/4 ton to 1 ton if not buying for commercial use.

Beast

Most new 1/2 pickups that have the electric assist steering will not work for plowing, Make sure to ask dealer’s service department before you buy.

Xbomber8X
    Sartell, MN

I have a 2014 silverado 1/2 ton, I run a Boss HTX v plow with no issues what so ever. I throw 280 pounds of sandbags in the back. Also I added timbrens in the front to take some load off the suspension

DFP
    Haverhill Iowa

Thanks for the feedback. From what research I have done it appears that Chevy and assumingly GMC are the only 1/2 tons that plow manufacturers have a V-plow for. Both Ford and Ram are rated for straight blade.

I will continue looking. The way the new truck market is, I’m not real optimistic in finding a deal this fall. I’ve always liked a challenge.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.