Please help me out

• Dylan Butler
    San Diego, California

Hi all, I’ve been a lifelong fisherman and have always wanted to get into hunting (specifically bow hunting). I have done plenty of research on gear, scouting, tactics, and everything else I could think of to try and understand the sport. One thing that I haven’t been able to figure out is how to hunt public land. Given that I get all of the right permits and it is the correct season, how do go about hunting public land? And how do I know which land is available to hunt? Are there places where I just show up? Or hunting ground that I need a daily permit for? I know that to the experienced hunter, this might come off as a stupid question, but any sort of answer would definitely help. Thanks.

deertracker

What state do you plan to hunt?
    DT

Dylan Butler
    San Diego, California

California, D16 specifically.

sorgy

Sorry Dylan,
    I am no help here. In MN you varying types of public land. You have county and state owned land in many parts of the state. You also have designated Wildlife Management Areas(State owned) and Federal Waterfowl Production Areas.
    To get a better understanding of the law and what is open to public hunting and use of ATV or other things you need to read the MN DNR 2020 hunting regulation guide.
    California I do not have a clue.

Good Luck

Steve

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Dylan, check with your state’s Department of Natural Resources. Most will have a contact phone number where you can call in and get specific information, much of which they’ll happily mail to you free of charge. Another thought would be to go to a local archery shop and have a chat with them. They may actually have the literature you’ll want to look at and if you ask specifically for a warden’s contact info they may have it for you so contact directly with him can be done to find out exactly where you can start snooping out the public areas, entry and parking points, and all the yeas and nays of hunting public land.

Good luck with your search and happy hunting.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I also can’t help much but I feel for you being a hunter in California. No Joke, I shot clays with a guy from California who said his neighbors were going after him for shooting paper targets that had deer on them…claiming it was animal cruelty!

I think Tom nailed it. Check out https://wildlife.ca.gov/hunting

OnX mapping would also be a great tool. It generally comes with a 7 day free pass to check it.

catmando
    wis

In Wis just about every town has a Rod and Gun Club, Does California have such a thing? If so stop in the nearest one and see if someone will help you out in your quest to be a hunter. Good Luck. DK.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Get the onXhunt app for your phone or gps. Most of the BLM and public land will be in there and color coded. If your in color your good, if not private land. Most COs use the same to verify your location. Public and BLM land is open to PUBLIC. Just show up and legally do your thing

LAND OWNERSHIP/PUBLIC LAND OPPORTUNITIES
    Zone D-16 contains a mixture of both public and private lands. Remember, you must obtain and have, in your possession, written permission to hunt on private property. Hunter trespass laws are strictly enforced. Public lands within Zone D-16 are primarily administered by the Cleveland National Forest (USFS) and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). For information regarding these lands, contact the following:
    USFS Offices
    Cleveland National Forest, 10845 Rancho Bernardo Road, Ste. 200, Rancho Bernardo, CA 92127-2107 (858-673-6180)
    BLM Offices
    California Desert District, 22835 Calle San Juan De Los Lagos, Moreno Valley, CA 92553 (951- 697-5200)
    El Centro Field Office, 1661 South Fourth Street, El Centro CA 92243 (760-337-4400)
    Palm Springs South Coast Field Office, 1201 Bird Center Dr., Palm Springs, CA 92262 (760-833- 7100)
    Wilderness lands have been established within the Cleveland National Forest. The Agua Tibia, Pine Creek, and Hauser Wilderness Areas are accessible by hiking and pack stock. Public use of the wilderness is regulated by permit. Information on wilderness area restrictions and Wilderness Permits may be obtained by contacting the Cleveland National Forest.
    In Zone D-16 and other zones throughout California, additional deer hunting opportunities may exist on private property licensed through the Department’s Private Lands Management Program (PLM). For more information on the PLM and to obtain a list of participating ranches, visit CDFW’s PLM web page.
    Reminder: In Zone D-16, Anza-Borrego Desert and Cuyamaca Rancho State Parks comprise much of eastern San Diego and a portion of western Imperial County. These parks are closed to hunting.
    MAPS
    For general maps detailing individual zone or additional deer hunt boundaries, visit
    CDFW’s Deer Hunting web page.
    The most comprehensive map of the area is the Cleveland National Forest map. USFS maps are available locally at most USFS offices; by contacting the USFS Pacific Southwest Regional Office at: 1323 Club Drive, Vallejo, CA 94592 (707-562-8737); or ordered by phone (406-329-3024), fax (406-329-3030), or mail at USDA Forest Service, National Forest Store, P.O. Box 8268, Missoula, MT 59807; or online at the National Forest Map Store website.
    Page 4 of 9

D16 Zone General Deer Hunt Information
    BLM surface management maps may also be useful. These maps can be purchased at local BLM district offices; the BLM at 2800 Cottage Way, Suite W-1834, Sacramento, CA 95825 (916-978-4400); or online at BLM’s California Maps web page.
    U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) topographic maps are very helpful, especially for topographic features that are not displayed on USFS or BLM maps. USGS maps may be available from many sporting goods, backpacking or engineering stores; by contacting the USGS directly at: Rocky Mountain Mapping Center, Branch of Information Services, Box 25286, Denver, CO 80225 (888-ASK-USGS); or online at the USGS Store website.
    ACCESS/MAJOR ROADS
    Although there is a lot of private land in Zone D-16, there are extensive tracts of public lands with excellent access. Primary roadways in Zone D-16 include Interstates 8 and 15, and Highways 76, 78, and 79. Many County and USFS roads branch off of these primary roadways providing access to public lands.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

OnX mapping would also be a great tool. It generally comes with a 7 day free pass to check it.

OnX is pricy, but for a hunter trying to use public land, IMO it would totally worth it.

Also, harassment of hunters trying to hunt public land in the west is almost an epidemic. The main problem is not animal rights wackos, it’s locals and ranchers running hunters off of public land because they don’t want “outsiders” using it. Knowing in absolute terms that you are on public land is key in terms of fighting harassment.

Grouse

Brady Valberg

Watch the hunting public…those guys give tons of good info on public land hunting all over

Tyler Walsh

Hey, I plan on bow hunting late into deer season this 2021 season, after I get back from some work related travels. It will be my first time in years, but maybe we can help each other out? I spent a good amount of pandemic time driving and walking alot of the public land in D16. Lemme know.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.