Plastics recommendations for Bluegill

• Jacob Pech

I’ve heard positive things about people using plastic baits for fishing bluegills and am wanting to try them out this winter. I’m just curious what you guys have found that works?

catmando
    wis

I use maki baits a lot, they look like little crawdads, keep them horizontal on a tungsten jig head.

Tyler Warner

Northland Impulse Mayfly has been a huge hit for me.

soldiersdad1
    La Crosse, WI

B-Y Plastics. We’ve been using them exclusively, with great success for the last 5 years. It’s a small 2 m an operation. But, their plastics are sold almost everywhere in this area.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

B-Y looks like some good stuff. Thanks for the tip.

bassin140

I have it in my head that the plastic needs to be super small for a small bluegills mouth. I know this is not true since I have caught many bluegills on spoons before. I guess it’s just in my head it has to be that way. So with that being said the best micro plastic I have found is trigger x mustache worm. Very lively action and balances a jig very well. I have had many trips where live bait didn’t even come on the ice with me and I caught just as many bluegills.

catmando
    wis

Those look like killers, does the paddle tail really flap well?

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Check out this pro pack from Prescott Bait Company. You can get a pretty nice setup all in one package, including a box.

Pro-Packs

catmando
    wis

<div class=”oembed-wrap”>3/4″ Spugg, 10 pack.</div>
    Awesome stuff, loving the spuggs so far this season.

They look like the ticket. Does the paddle tail really move well , if you keep the jig in one place ?

Jeff Schomaker

I prefer bigger baits to pick out the bigger gills. 5mm tungsten and a good size plastic to match. Had really good luck on crappies and gills with the northland mosquito larva in white or black last year. Throw in some pink when the crappies are the main target.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I think the Micro Nuggie is about as good as a commercial sunfish bait can get for ice fishing. I’m sort of partial to what I make for cold water sunfish though.

Tyler Warner

I have found is trigger x mustache worm. Very lively action and balances a jig very well. I have had many trips where live bait didn’t even come on the ice with me and I caught just as many bluegills.

Mustache worm is a great one too

eyeguy54

powerbait wishbone, impulse mayfly and slug bug, maki minnows. so many plastics, so little time. LOL

catmando
    wis

Have to close my eyes, I live on a pension, oh, it is the 1st of the month.

tim hurley

Always bring the real stuff when you go for ‘gills-tournament dudes promote the lure company that sponsor them-they always have a stash of bugs believe it-for crappies you could use plastics all year-gills have a great sense of smell and sometimes want a bug. Always? Of course not-I have slayed them with jigging raps before. Good Luck!

Tuffy

Always bring the real stuff when you go for ‘gills-tournament dudes promote the lure company that sponsor them-they always have a stash of bugs believe it-for <em class=”ido-tag-em”>crappies you could use plastics all year-gills have a great sense of smell and sometimes want a bug. Always? Of course not-I have slayed them with jigging raps before. Good Luck!

Of course tournament guys are going to have live bait along. When the money is on the line you have to have all options/bases covered. Some lakes prefer plastics and some bugs.

Tuffy

Yes they do, not a hard plastic so they move quite well.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

powerbait wishbone, impulse mayfly and slug bug, maki minnows. so many plastics, so little time. LOL

What he said. Plus the Powerbait Fry is a killer bait, as well.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Another vote for B-Y. They make some incredible little creatures.

kro22

Another vote for B-Y baits. I always have a profile of there’s that will catch fish. Mayfly is my go-to.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

Clam and 13 fishing make some nice plastics.

Branden Doyle

Judgesjawjackers.com small company over in Michigan. Guys got tons of colors and super dented stuff. Tuff and holds up.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Chigger Fry

https://shop.northlandtackle.com/seasonal-tackle/ice-fishing/impulse-mini-smelt/

https://shop.northlandtackle.com/seasonal-tackle/ice-fishing/impulse-bros-bloodworm/

My go-to plastics for pannies

catmando
    wis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>catmando wrote:</div>

Yes they do, not a hard plastic so they move quite well.

what’s your favorite color’s ,going to order,
    Thks DK

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.