Planer Boards

• sktrwx2200

What is the best clips for Off-Shore planer boards?
    I have the standard clips and they sometimes pop loose when in bigger waves with fireline.
    Are the OR-18s good? Seem like they would be a little easier than the spring release ones im using.
    The Website say “long awaited release” for a new clip called the OR39 Sam’s Pro Release. Are those the ones to buy?

Where are the planer board experts?
    Thanks

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I like the OR-16’s. They are the red ones and have a plastic pin in the center of the pinch pad. You put your line behind the pin, so the line cannot come off the board. This way you don’t lose any boards, and the board stays in place.

B-man

What is the best clips for Off-Shore planer boards?
    I have the standard clips and they sometimes pop loose when in bigger waves with fireline.
    Are the OR-18s good? Seem like they would be a little easier than the spring release ones im using.
    The Website say “long awaited release” for a new clip called the OR39 Sam’s Pro Release. Are those the ones to buy?

Where are the planer board experts?
    Thanks

I love the OR18’s as the front release. All my boards have them (and OR16’s on the back).

The OR18 works via cam action, not spring. You can flip it toward you (away from the board) to lock the line in and never let it release. And you can flip it away from you (toward the board) for a tight grip, but still make it possible to release (like if a salmon buries you board).

The Sam’s are nice too, I’ve used them a fair amount on a buddy’s boat. They are definitely more complicated to attach though. You need to wrap the line around a thimble a bunch of times and then clip the release together. They have an adjustment screw to choose your tension.

I myself prefer the OR18’s over anything else. They offer the best mix of function and simplicity.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m gonna agree with b-man. Even though I don’t own offshore boards, I have what would be the Church Tackle equivalent. It’s called the lock jaw. They hold like a vise and they are soooo easy to release.

Although it may not look like it they are a very similar concept. They don’t rely on spring tension to clamp the line.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Same set up here… fishing Lake Michigan solo a lot, or worse with someone that can’t help – if it gets rough turning the boat around for a dropped board sucks and often turns into a lost one. Problems ended once I spent the money and changed out the clips. Those good black ones on the front work for any line.

sktrwx2200

Thank you guys. I was leaning toward the solid clip as well.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

After my first board purchase of an Opti player board for $20 and liking it so much I figured I’d go deeper into the planet board world by getting another, I’m thrilled to have spent $36 on an Off Shore board only to have it pop off my line twice in about as many minutes (not including the recovery time), then have to go to the Fleet Farm and buy a $15 OR18 clip to replace the turd it comes standard with and I’ll probably have to buy an OR16 too. I should have just let it float down the river and bought another Opti (or 2 for the same investment).

I had no idea what a good decision I made buying the Opti initially. I just liked the color grin

B-man

Sounds like operator error……

Make sure the line is behind the rear pin on the stock OR16 rear release.

Yellow Fever
    Kingston Ontario

Church clips on the front and OR 16 on the back

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.