PJ Fleck

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I think we agree… and yes, the fans in MN never give a coach long enough to actually bring about a change. Not every team wins the Championship every year… only 1 does. Seems the team has been keeping its nose clean and getting good grades as well… sometimes the “change” does not all end up on the scoreboard, very few athletes make it to the pro level and need that degree. I just wish people would not be so negative and could see the positive change happening. I guess I seen the Hawkeyes referenced… if after 20+ seasons, Flecks win percentage was what Ferentz is… .61%, I could see moving him along. Is Ferentz safe ?

I think if Iowa was going to let Ferentz go, they would have. After an “External Review of Iowa Football Found Racial Issues” report by CBS Sports hit the media, he was served up on a silver platter in 2020. Instead, they are riding with consistency and understand their place in college football. They witnessed first hand what has happened in Nebraska since letting go of Bo Pelini thinking he was holding them back from national dominance. Their programs are very similar in appeal to recruits, facilities, and geography…but one was greedy and the other has chosen consistency.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

but one was greedy and the other has chosen consistency.

Agreed 100% Bucky! Nebraska still thinks it should be Alabama, rather than being ok with Pelini’s level of Nebraska.

As for PJ I really don’t understand the hate, he’s done more at the U than anyone else in my 38 years, and really since 1960. This year was all over the map, but it was a weird year for everyone, especially in the Big 10’s cancelled, then not cancelled season. They should be in the running in the West for the foreseeable future, and that is far beyond what most thought the U was ever capable of. Relax, sit back and enjoy it!

CaptainMusky

As for PJ I really don’t understand the hate, he’s done more at the U than anyone else in my 38 years, and really since 1960. This year was all over the map, but it was a weird year for everyone, especially in the Big 10’s cancelled, then not cancelled season. They should be in the running in the West for the foreseeable future, and that is far beyond what most thought the U was ever capable of. Relax, sit back and enjoy it!

I agree. Each recruiting class has been better than the previous and he just completed the biggest recruiting class in the age of the internet for MN. That speaks volumes. Seeing kids that have narrowed down their selections to teams like FSU, Notre Dame, OSU, Michigan, Georgia, etc and then some of them choose MN? That hasnt happened much here before. Before they would never even consider MN in their narrowed down list.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

As for PJ I really don’t understand the hate

Its the row the boat cheerleader crap that I don’t care for. I think he does it more for his own personal image than to keep his players going.

Dan
    Southeast MN

As for PJ I really don’t understand the hate

It’s maybe not quite 100%, but upper-90’s percentage in regards to him as a person. If you look at the comments people make on here or comments below social media or news articles, it’s almost entirely based on his personality. The “rah rah” guy. Mocking the “row the boat” phrase. I understand the dislike for some folks. Guy comes in rocking catchphrases like he’s Stone Cold Steve Austin before he plays a game. I’m not even saying I don’t roll my eyes at some point.

I’ve been following this thread and much of it is that same old argument. I don’t think the people bashing his quotes realize how badly they discredit their own views because it’s basically coming down to “I don’t like the person,” their mind is made up, and they’ll always feel that way (kind of like COVID and politics).

I feel like the reality is the Gophers are a little better than they had been over the last few coaches and they’re possibly trending in the right direction. Fleck has brought and continues to employ some intangibles that seem to work for today’s college athletes and today’s game. He’s also got some meaningful recent players in the NFL and has done a good job of keeping them involved, which helps the current group as well as potential recruits.

I tell ya what, Fleck’s personality is about as far from Mike Zimmer’s as you can get. Baldelli is totally next-gen and modern while Molitor was very, very old-school and bland. And I don’t give a damn about any that, I just want to watch my team win on TV.

CaptainMusky

I just want to watch my team win on TV.

This is what should really matter. The product and results on the field.

Nice Fella

I think it would be really funny if someone created a meme of PJ Fleck running down the sidelines in PJ Vick’s clunky new white mouse boots. Bonus points if you can include Bernie…

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

For the record I’m happy with Fleck, the win against Penn State was a blast to watch! The rah rah stuff gets a little wearing after awhile but remember he’s coaching teenagers and guys in their early twenties. If they respond thats all that matters.
    He’s a good recruiter and I think good things are on the horizon. A Rose Bowl appearance sure would be fun!

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.