Piscifun reels anyone use them?

• Ice Cap

Been looking to upgrade some of my older ice fishing reels. I’m a you get what you pay for believer so been looking at some higher end reels like Shimano Sahara and some others in the $50 to $80 range. I ran across this Piscifun ICX 5 Ice reel for just under $30. All their reels seem to get very good reviews and this one has some nice features. Foldable handle, oversize reel and carbon fiber drag washer. For $30 I think Ill give it a try. Haven’t seen any locally and never heard of this brand before so it will have to be a sight unseen no touchy feely online purchase.

Piscifun

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I can’t speak from experience but I know that Tom Boley uses Piscifun reels and likes them (I think he’s sponsored, though). They do seem to get good reviews and have ridiculous drag ratings.

If you’re looking for something in that price range with an oversized, foldable handle from a more well known manufacturer I have a few Abu Garcia Ice Max reels and they’re great.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

Huh I never looked at them before, they don’t look too bad. I used to think they were some sort of chinese knock off reel.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

they are chinese knockoff reels owned by an American guy who imports…After all the drama they created on social media lately I wouldn’t touch their products

You can’t go wrong with a pflueger trion (will be on sale shortly as a new gen is coming out), shimano sienna or okuma ceymar/stratus

Pretty much Tica’s company model isn’t it?

Sometimes I kinda wish some of the drama generated on social could be summerized and ported into IDO for our infotainment.

Is pflueger redoing the presidents again? I like the gen3 version, hated the gen2.

Ice Cap

I’m not on social media so I know nothing of what ever drama you are talking about. My life is much less dramatic by not participating with social media.
    So as long as we are talking about Chinese stuff which reels are made and assembled in the US of A? I did order the Picifun but am always happy and eager to buy something made and assembled here. Are any of the above mentioned reels made and assembled here?

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I have seen good things on the Piscifuns but it your looking in that price range I think you will be happy with the Ceymar’s. Not saying that because IDO guys use them they are a good product. If your looking for something for a little less I have used the Shimano Sedona and they can be found for about $30. I have been running those last couple of years and have been very happy. I don’t do much fishing though for lakers or northerns I basically fish for panfish and walleye. Overall what I am saying is that in the 50-80 range you will have a bunch of nice options. Good luck and tight lines.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

There are quality off shore reels and then there are reels that cut all corners necessary.

Okuma, pflueger, abu garcia, shimano, and even Lews are pretty decent when it comes to quality per $

CN

I have used Piscifun reels mostly for summer bass fishing. Not bad reels for the cost as mentioned in above posts. I use reels from cheap to expensive for a lot of applications. I see myself reaching for the cheaper reels to use more. The $30 to $80 reels. But, I have started switching all my ice fishing reels to Abu Garcia Ice Max reels and Pflueger Monarch Ice Spinning Reel. Love them both and both have little differences that I like. Each are around $30 cost and available everywhere.

Pflueger Monarch Ice Spinning Reel have a longer distance form the reel foot to spool. If you have gloves on that helps and your knuckles won’t hit the bail while reeling in if you have bigger hands. The Abu Ice Max is a little smaller frame and has the foldable handle. I can fit more in a case on travels.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.