Pictures of fishing gear for insurance

• Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Maybe this has been talked about before. But 1, has anyone ever taken a pic of all their tackle and rods and gear for insurance in case of fire, theft, or attack of a pack of p4 tackle thieving eagles? And 2) has anyone ever had to file a claim on fishing gear where they did (or didn’t have) pictures of their gear?

I was contemplating taking pictures this spring as I have (as I am sure many of us do) thousands of $$$ in gear (I mean a few hundred dollars if you ask my GF laugh laugh laugh ). Any tips or experiences with this would be great to hear. Thanks all!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

It’s a good idea to take some pics of anything you have insured (fishing equip, personal property in Home/Renters etc.). Not that your insurance will require pics, but to help prompt your memory for all the things lost.

Recording short videos is a good method too.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Just don’t let the wife see…that’s what has kept me from taking pics.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Bob @ World Wide Insurance who probably covers more professional fisherman than anyone told me to take pictures of all my tackle and send it to them when they wrote my policy. And whenever you add new stuff just place a note describing it and click a pic.

smbfinatic
    NW MN/NE ND

What kind of policy would your fishing gear, tackle, etc. be covered under?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

What kind of policy would your fishing gear, tackle, etc. be covered under?

Ask your agent!!!!!!

Justin, our resident insurance guru can explain this much better then myself. However, you really need to understand what is covered AND what the limits are. I had gone for years thinking all my rods/reels, locator,….was covered. While doing a review of all my assets with an agent, I made a comment about the 10K in equipment in my boat. You would have sworn he saw a ghost as his jaw dropped. Then the questions began to spew…how much is my locator??? How many rods./reels…and down the line. What I found was all the limits were well short of what I really had. Then the assumption that my home owners would cover theft at a motel or where ever. Not true. again, there were limits and caps on items. Needless to say, I have a crap load of riders on my policy to make sure I am covered.

In the race to be the cheapest price on insurance, many companies greatly reduce the coverage to make the $$$$ look attractive, and most people don’t read their policy

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Justin, our resident insurance guru can explain this much better then myself. However, you really need to understand what is covered AND what the limits are. I had gone for years thinking all my rods/reels, locator,….was covered. While doing a review of all my assets with an agent, I made a comment about the 10K in equipment in my boat. You would have sworn he saw a ghost as his jaw dropped. Then the questions began to spew…how much is my locator??? How many rods./reels…and down the line. What I found was all the limits were well short of what I really had. Then the assumption that my home owners would cover theft at a motel or where ever. Not true. again, there were limits and caps on items. Needless to say, I have a crap load of riders on my policy to make sure I am covered.

In the race to be the cheapest price on insurance, many companies greatly reduce the coverage to make the $$$$ look attractive, and most people don’t read their policy

x2!! I just through this with Justin about a year ago. He has a great policy that will cover the gear stolen from your car and hotel room when you are trying to protect it versus leaving it in the boat. To add, I was pleasantly surprised when I found out how much it was to add that to my policy.

FDR

mojogunter

I have a special rider on my boat insurance for theft of equipment. I mentioned to my agent that on any given day I could have 5k worth of rods and tackle in the boat not including electronics and he said that they wouldn’t cover that much under my normal policy if it were stolen. Good idea to ask what is and isn’t covered under your policy. Better safe than sorry.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Good notes all. Looks like its time to talk my agent. Thanks again!

Joel Schultz
    Winthrop ,Iowa Wabasha, Mn.

Yes take lots of pictures, Had $7000.00 worth of tackles pole etc stolen from my boat in Wabasha 2 years ago. It took me months to fill out everything I had. After all said and done and insurance claim check came, I remembered even more items, Just imagine 42 years worth of crank baits, Lots of them they no longer make. Word to the wise, You have to have a separate policy on items in your boat. Your BOAT INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER IT.So trolling motors, tackles, electronics, have to be insured separate. Does take long to get to $10,000.00

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

Thanks for the reminder, I just got off the phone with my insurance agent who had just written the policy for my new boat. All of the electronics and gear that is boat specific (bumpers, tow ropes, etc…) are covered under my boat policy. My homeowners policy covers the rods, reels, tackle but in our case it made more sense to add a rider with a lower deductible to cover them so I wouldn’t have to make a claim on the homeowners policy and lose some of those discounts.

CaptainMusky

I had my tackle stolen and what a nightmare. I will say my insurance company was great to deal with, but lesson learned TAKE PICTURES and inventory everything. Make sure to include photos of the serial number for large items like your GPS, trolling motor, etc. That way if something is recovered it can help you identify it.

I didn’t, but I do now.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.