Perch Eyes

• riverbottoms

What works best for you when popping perch eyes out when saving them for winter bait?
    Just curious.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Pushing them out from the inside of the mouth with a finger tip–then carefully–without puncturing the eyeball itself–cut the eyeball loose.

Then again, is it “legal” to use them in Mn.?

Brian Anderson
    Eden Prairie, MN

My thumbnail….

and no not legal in MN but they are in the Dakotas )

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve never heard of this before, hopefully only the eyes on perch you’re thinking of keeping :).

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

fish eyes make great bait….in states other than MN

riverbottoms

Pushing them out from the inside of the mouth with a finger tip–then carefully–without puncturing the eyeball itself–cut the eyeball loose.

No problem Steve here in Northwest Illinois with being legal.Will have to give your method a try, thanks.

404 ERROR
    MN

I never heard of using Perch Eyes until last winter. I fished with some guys on MWO up on Devils and one pulled out a mini ice-cream scoop looking thing on a keychain. He stuck it in the eye and it popped right out. It was amazing, I asked where he got it but he said they were not made anymore…I thought I was crushing the perch with Waxies until I saw him pulling football after football on Perch eyes…

candofish
    Turtle Lake wi

After you get them out, how do you store them for later use?

404 ERROR
    MN

After you get them out, how do you store them for later use?

We actually just pulled them as needed while fishing. We would have a few fish on the ice next to the hole and when you needed an eye, you would pop one out. If MN allowed it, I would probably do what I do with fatheads, put a drop or two of water in a bait puck to keep em moist and keep them in my pocket.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Walleye and musky eyes are more effective. If you can find rainbow trout or laker eyes in the winter, those work great too.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

“I would probably do what I do with fatheads, put a drop or two of water in a bait puck to keep em moist and keep ”

that is exactly what I do when hole hopping. minnows will survive way longer than you think in that environment. works great!

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

That perch eye remover looks like it would be very easy to make. Also, just looking at that tool it resembles clay pottery tools. So if people want look into pottery tools for your perch eyes. I have a feeling they would be perfect.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

Just a few pottery tool examples I found

Attachments:
    1. 10-Pcs-Wood-Handle-Pottery-Clay-font-b-Sculpture-b-font-Carving-Loop-Hand-font-b.jpg

2. Y102-6pcs-Aluminum-bar-font-b-Pottery-b-font-font-b-Clay-b-font-Sculpture-Ceramic.jpg

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.