People with truck toppers, do you use rear slider?

• Reef W

I currently have a truck with a solid rear window. I’m getting a topper/cap soon and it will have the slider just because it barely makes any price difference and I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with truck. The question is do I want to spend the money to replace my rear window with a slider or not? If I’m going to do it it makes sense to get it before the topper is installed or I’ll never do it. After getting some quotes I’m not getting power so it would be a manual slider that I can’t reach from the front seat. Is it useful to have?

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I’ve yet to have a situation where I wished I had a sliding back window on truck, however when I replace my current truck I definitely want the next topper to have to side windows that can open so I can reach in for stuff farther up in the bed without climbing up in it.

Reef W

I’ve yet to have a situation where I wished I had a sliding back window on truck, however when I replace my current truck I definitely want the next topper to have to side windows that can open so I can reach in for stuff farther up in the bed without climbing up in it.

Good to know. My topper will have the “windoors” that flip up on both sides! Thanks.

Gary M

I had a slider on my 2009
    My 2015 I don’t I regret not having slider now because I can not clean back window without loosing the topper bolts and lifting topper back far enough to clean the windows.I now use rainX wash on back windows so they don’t spot so bad.

blackbay

Of course I do. How else would I talk with my wife? ;-)

The last truck I had with a topper I did have a slider but never used it to access the topper. It did come in handy to make cleaning between the windows easier.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I have but dont use the rear window slider. I do use the topper front slider for ventilation. I have a bed and table in the topper and use it to camp in (solo).

Reef W

Thanks for the replies! The whole front window of topper tips down, in addition to having a slider in it, so I will still be able to clean the window. Sounds like I can save my money waytogo

404 ERROR
    MN

I use my rear slider every now and then, but it isn’t something I would purchase again. Glad that yours will tip in for cleaning, I wouldn’t buy a topper without that feature. Dusty roads really build up dirt back there.

I also have the side windoors in mine and I would never go to a solid sliding side window after owning this one. I can reach into the front of the bed no problem and I almost never find myself crawling up inside the get something from the back. I also have small sliders built in.

Attachments:
    1. truck.jpg

munchy
    NULL

My last truck had a manual slider and I loved it for the days when I can have the windows down opening the rear slider stopped any of the obnoxious buffeting noise. Now I didn’t have a full topper on it however so your results will vary.

Aaron

Never use my sliders on the topper or truck. I just see them as lines in my mirror is all.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Always had toppers and never a slider between. I have no desire for one but no experience either.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

Every time the keys get locked in the truck . My kid crawls through the slider and opens the door . grin

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I also have the side windoors in mine and I would never go to a solid sliding side window after owning this one. I can reach into the front of the bed no problem and I almost never find myself crawling up inside the get something from the back. I also have small sliders built in.

Side Windoors are priceless! My truck has these and my wife’s does not. I curse at my wife’s topper on a weekly basis. I should just get them installed on hers but I’m way too cheap.

Every time the keys get locked in the truck . My kid crawls through the slider and opens the door .

I’ve only done this about 30 times… blush I had a problem with keys in my college years.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I haven’t used a rear slider on a truck since the 90’s. Coincidentally that was before seat belt laws and may have been adult beverages getting passed around devil

The way I look at it is there is more things to go wrong and start leaking. I’ve had my latest truck 4 years and not once have missed a slider. Could be I’m getting older and better behaved to whistling

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

For those that have toppers and hate crawling to the front get a broom stick and screw a $.50 bicycle hanging hook into the end of it and use it to reach to the front and drag stuff out.

SpoonbillSlayer
    St. Michael, MN

Yes, I like having a slider with a topper. Just used it last week when I had to put some 2×4’s in my bed and they didn’t fit. Just ran them up thru the cab a little. Yeah I know, don’t break hard! If you ever have a dog in back, then you can talk to it also.

I think they come in handy.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Without a rear window, where do you throw the empties???

I’ve slept in my truck box less than a handful of times. Those where the only times in needed the access rear window. It was nice for the heat, radio and reaching supplies.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Rear sliding windows are instrumental for yelling at your wife while she backs the boat up to the ramp.

Signed- pleasure boat guy.

Kris Berg

Back when I was a kid new to deer hunting, my dad and his buddy rode in the cab of the single cab truck and us younger hunters rode in the back of the truck under the topper (This was back when it was cold during deer hunting season). For heat, my dads buddy would open the rear slider on the truck and the slider on the topper. He would also put a bike tire tube in between the rear window of the truck and the topper around that opening and inflate it to seal out any cold air from coming in. It did not stop all cold air from entering into the topper area from other spots, but it was a good spot for us younger hunters to take turns and get some warmth and for us to be able to yell at them to “STOP” when we seen a deer. lol

huskerdu

Never use the slider , mine flips up to clean, came with the slider.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.