pdog shoot camera

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Anyone have experience filming a prairie dog shoot to capture the bullet impact…or cartwheels )

Would like something mounted to my Caldwell field pod as mobility is my #1 priority when dog shooting, however that might not make good video. Seeking advice.

I keep all shots under 200yds.
    Lots of shots within 75 yds.

Heading west in a week, not overly concerned about having the tech this trip.
    My filming experience outdoors is nada.

Randy?

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20180813181358561.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Self-filming is going to be difficult because of the amount of zoom required to get really good pictures basically eliminates all the POV type GoPro cams.

A scope cam is really the only way I can see self-filming working, but obviously, there is a long list of potential issues with scope cams. Not the least of which is that your scope becomes the camera lens, so of course quality matters.

I briefly tried a digiscope attached to my spotting scope last time we were out. This worked well enough to say it has potential and I’ll try it some more next time. Of course, you need to be shooting with a 2 man team then, but that’s what I always do because it seems more effective.

Good luck out there. Where are you heading?

Grouse

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Good luck out there. Where are you heading?

Thanks, you pretty much confirmed what I expected to hear. Scope cam or similar.

Location… Where’s your honey hole ;)

Closer to Murdo SD than the Badlands.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Been using cannon vixia cameras for the last few years. Filmed about 15,000 kill shots plus all the o the misc stuff I use them for. Been very happy. Regardless of what you buy, get extended size batteries!!!!

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Try a phone skope adaptor for your spotting scope.

rubberduck
    east bethel

Randy that is friggin amazing to say the least! bow

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Randy that is friggin amazing to say the least! bow

Wish my barrels would agree with that. I have 2 new custom barrels being made to replace 2 of my howas.

Fyi, bring a dark cloth with to cover the monitor so you can see easier. Those bright clear days make for a lot of time wasted trying to find your target in the screen

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

So you run vixas on a stand of some sort?
    Which vixa model? I see they run from $200 up to $3k.

I like the idea of phone skope, with a camera and not a phone. Would be on target always. Seems a more effortless way to go.

I want that phone charged for emergencies, should one occur.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20180526143555240.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Canon VIXIA HF R32 with 51X zoom on a basic tripod.

We also set them up as B and C cameras out on hot holes. I’ll slip them out 200+ yards so I can get better views of the 500 to 800 meter shots

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I think I’m going to look into the phone skope with a GoPro adapter in the off season. That would be ideal to me as the scope and camera share the same target. I’m just not interested in the effort to setup a camera and gun on targets.

I’m also a little less interested knowing that cost me upwards of $500. We’ll see.

Thanks for the input guys

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m also a little less interested knowing that cost me upwards of $500. We’ll see.

Thanks for the input guys

I’ve probably 400 in just batteries. Doesn’t take long to add up a small fortune in batteries, chargers, SD cards….

Have a great time out there

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

)

It is just another hole to throw money in. toast

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20180803194843325.jpg

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.