Park Ranger Dies in Voyageurs National Park

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Sad story breaking this morning. Prayers for family and friends.

A Voyageurs National Park law enforcement ranger died on Namakan Lake Sunday.

The ranger was responding to a distressed civilian vessel on the lake when the ranger’s boat capsized.
    The ranger has not been identified. No other injuries were reported.

INTERNATIONAL FALLS, Minn. (FOX 9) – A law enforcement park ranger died after responding to a call for assistance on Namakan Lake in Voyaguers National Park Sunday.

What we know

According to a press release from Voyageurs National Park, the park ranger was responding to a call for assistance late Sunday morning from a distressed civilian vessel on Namakan Lake.

The boat being used by the ranger capsized as it was towing the distressed vessel, causing the ranger and three civilians being assisted to go into the water, officials said.

The three civilians were able to swim to safety, but the ranger was not accounted for. After a three-hour search, the body of the ranger was found in Namakan Lake, authorities say.

Rough waters and high winds were reported at the time of the incident.

What we don’t know

Authorities are investigating the incident. It is unknown why the civilians were distressed.

The identity of the ranger has not been released.

Authorities did not say whether the civilians were injured.

The Source
    A press release from Voyaguers National Park.

CaptainMusky

Wow that is terrible! Prayers to that persons family and friends and those civilians are going to carry that burden for the rest of their lives as well.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

What a sad deal.
    With a west wind like that it can really ugly out there in a few spots.
    Towing a boat in 5-6ft waves was a brave move. Prayers to all involved.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Very sad. Always tons of respect and appreciation for any line of work that has to put themselves in harm’s way or any amount of risk for others.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Grubson sent that to me yesterday. Very sad.

mojo

Could it be he gave his PFD to those he was assisting. I can’t believe a ranger would go into such a situation without a PFD.
    Heart attack?

CaptainMusky

I was wondering about the potential of no life jacket too. That seems really odd. I would think the people in the other boat would have had their own.

Gitchi Gummi

I’m scratching my head on this one too. I understand you can still drown with an LJ on but I wonder if he/she gave his to someone else or what the deal is. The other thought in my head was those LEOs usually have the inflatable LJs. I wonder if something happened where it didn’t deploy fast enough or something. Just pure speculation at this point

RIP the Park Ranger. Dying in the line of duty is incredibly sad.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Heart attack?

Or some other medical issue. This is what I am assuming. Also makes sense he would be wearing a PFD as it did not take long to find his body.

-J.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.