Heres a Niave question-I think-Um

• jeff_huberty
    Inactive

White bass.. IF and or when can you eat them…I just don’t know. Spring? summer? fall?

I get my @$$ in a sling when I throw them back… She just does’nt understand… could it be me who just does’nt understand?

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

I’m confused by the question… What do you mean if and when?

The season is continuous and the limit is 60 fish in MN. I suppose you can only eat them hen you catch them?

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

I’ve only ever kept them in the spring/fall, but I suppose as long as you clean them properly, and you get the blood line out, I don’t see why you couldn’t keep them year round

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

They make for some good fish n chips. You just need to get the blood line out.

mstrumar

Quote:

They make for some good fish n chips. You just need to get the blood line out.

Hey Brad– how do you get the entire blood line out? I have heard a lot of people talk about this.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

We were catching them on accident 2 weekends ago on the river-along with many eyes and I could smell them just holding them- and they crapped all over the side of my boat while unhooking them. I would say only in cold water temps. If you can smell them live-imagine the fillet smell. Wooouuuuufda!

drew-evans
    rochester MN

i usually let them go but have kept them in the winter spring and summer and have never noticed a difference in taste just cut the dark red meat our of tghe center of fillet “blood line” and you will have a nice white peice of meat and if curt the same shape as your walleye fillet you wont even notice the difference.

rrouff
    Aledo IL

I have always put them on ice as soon as I have caught them and cut out the line and any yellow flesh. Inlaws really enjoy them. (I am partial to bluegill)

Jeff

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Yeah cut iff the stuff that turns brown and muddy when you cookmthe fillets… It’s fish fat and where most of the PCBs and such are stored, too.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Thanks Guys,
    I was thinking the best time to keep them would be if they came out of cold water also.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Personally I always put them back in the water. I would rather eat gills, walleye, or crappie. In that order. Oh, I almost forgot flathead.

smartin013
    Kalispell, MT

Quote:

and they crapped all over the side of my boat while unhooking them.

You’re not supposed to squeeze them when taking the hook out

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.