Saturday on the ol’ Miss…

• armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Saturday I put the boat in at Hidden Falls in St. Paul (which is a _nasty_ landing when the water is any kind of high) and cruised south almost to Pig’s Eye… we got waylayed along the way by a nice backwater where I decided to put down some cutbait for cats and my buddy Sam was throwing some of everything out all sides of the boat.

After 4 or 5 different tries, he put on a small perch-colored daredevil and BAM! First cast pulled in a decent silver bass! I netted it for him (he was using an ultralight) and as I was putting it on the stringer, he got another one. As I was putting THAT one on the stringer, he got another one again. And, as I was putting that one on the stringer, he was nailed yet another time.

It was at this juncture that I pointed out how excessive he was being in not sharing any of this delightful good fun with the rest of the boat (meaning ME) and (politely) expressed my desire that he should slow down a bit and at leave give me a chance to retie my other casting rod with the appropriate hardware to join him.

He declined to cooperate, however. Alas, by the time I managed to join it he had 6 fish on the stringer and things had slowed down considerably. However, I managed to pull in a respectable 3 fish of my own (as he pulled in yet another after I’d started fishing).

If you’re one of those who’d go count the fish on the stringer just to verify, the first two we’d picked up earlier in the day in a different spot. P I DID manage to catch the biggest one of the day, though, so yay me.

I even kept a sheephead just to validate the claims that they’re horrible eating. Those claims are false. Lightly fried in butter they have very nice, firm, white flesh and a very delicate flavor. Y’all should try one sometime.

In any case, we had a blast. I’d gone out looking for cats and came home with a big load of white bass… but it was fun fishing and just awesome to spend some time on the river. I love that girl…

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

That’s interesting….There were three of us throwing stuff for almost 12 hours on Saturday and we caught a lot of fish.

But not one single White Bass!

Rootski

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Hey, I know that spot I’m pretty sure you could throw a stick with hooks and you’d smack em

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Let the fish dictate the day!

Umm BTW I must have missed the invite for dinner(?)

armchairdeity

Ahh, Brian… I would have invited you but I figured you’d be out chasing walleye with your scaley-fish friends for the day. Either that or taking some poor sap for a ride in your boat while they pay you to be their fishing buddy for the day.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Do I see a sheephead in the mix????? I thought only Tuckner ate those things!!

armchairdeity

This is the first time vie ever eaten one and all I have to say is this: please keep throwing them Bach so there are more of them for me. The meat is just plain awesome!

smartin013
    Kalispell, MT

That Sheephead was a little strong for my taste.

It was a fun day out on the river though.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I drive up to Harpers Ferry and go to Moen’s fish market once in awhile just to buy 10 pounds of fillets and its around 100 miles from me because they are pretty tasty. Rolled in cornmeal and flour and deep fried with homemade tartar sauce and they are pretty good.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

After looking at your fish cleaning station I think Everts needs to do a little updateing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.