Monster Crappie

• belletaine
    Nevis, MN

A Nebraska angler caught and released this 19 inch slab in Omaha on 12/15. Probably would have been a state record estimated at five pounds. Full story at Field and Stream.
    Massive!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Yikes!

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

That’s a hog

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Nice fish but hard to get a good view when it’s 2 inches from the camera. I hate when you hold a fish so close. You can make a small fish look huge. No saying this isn’t a big one but hard to tell. Would have liked to see it on a ruler for perspective.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Nice fish but hard to get a good view when it’s 2 inches from the camera. I hate when you hold a fish so close. You can make a small fish look huge. No saying this isn’t a big one but hard to tell. Would have liked to see it on a ruler for perspective.

I agree, I look at the hands to get an idea. Evidently he took some video of it being measured as well, I’d like to see that.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I figure his finger from tip to the 2nd joint is roughly 2″… using that as a reference, I guesstimate it it about 23″… what does a 2 foot long crappie weigh ? It also blows me away, how people will catch a supposed potential record, then throw it back and proceed to seek all the fame associated with catching a state record…? For that reason, I always say, no way it was… fell short and they knew it.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

I figure his finger from tip to the 2nd joint is roughly 2″… using that as a reference, I guesstimate it it about 23″… what does a 2 foot long crappie weigh ? It also blows me away, how people will catch a supposed potential record, then throw it back and proceed to seek all the fame associated with catching a state record…? For that reason, I always say, no way it was… fell short and they knew it.

I know everyone has different views and it’s been covered before but I would keep it, how much longer does it have anyways?

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

The rumors going around town is the crappie was around 24 inchs and caught at lake wannahoo. Its a lake they just opened last year on the edge of Wahoo.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

The rumors going around town is the crappie was around 24 inchs and caught at lake wannahoo. Its a lake they just opened last year on the edge of Wahoo.

I was gonna ask you about it Del. In the article it says 19″. I don’t know how to attach the link, Custom Jigs n Spins had it on Facebook.

It’s funny to hear “A lake they just opened last year” Haha

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

I can’t remember how long they stocked it before opening it to fishing. It was a while I do know that. The weekend the lake opened you could walk across the lake by boats. Its 650 acres and its heavily wooded in the channel and its deep for around here. They stocked it with largemouth, bluegill, crappie, walleye and northern pike. They have a catch and release on pike so we do have 30+ inch pike. supposedly some 35+.

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

The guy that will know is whitetips2 He is with the Nebraska game and parks

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

I have to say after watching the most recent IDO episode I wonder how many of these gigantic slabs inhabit the less pressured fisheries to the west and south in the ice belt. Cal said during the show there has got to be 18 inch fish in Glen Elder, wouldn’t be surprised if fish like this are more common than we think. Perhaps not the 24 inch fish this one allegedly is, but fish pushing that 20 inch range.

jmayer1334
    SE MN

I know the Minnesota state record was caught back in 1947 I believe. Never seen pics but I guess it was 22″s and a little over 5lbs but wholly macaroni that thing is ridiculous

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Speechless!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.