Pool 13 Crappies

• pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

I didn’t see a thread started for “13” crappie reports, so I thought I’d start one. Dad went today and had 11 that were 11″-14.” I’m guessing that the majority were closer to 11″ than 14.” It is a few weeks early for the bigger ones. Anyway, he lost two at the boat that were real dandies. I’m also guessing that he was with his buddy, because he said he caught them up in Brown’s lake. Dad won’t go to Brown’s alone. He ONLY uses 1.5″ black/white tubes. Tonight the flow is down to 25k.

Be careful out there, and take a few extra minutes to get to your spot. It may save a transom, or your life. A few years ago, we lost a buddy up in crooked slough. He was going pretty fast and hit a log. He and his wife were thrown from the boat, he was killed.

It’s almost time for me to leave Geneva and ACL for the season. This ridge-runner just loves the river in the Fall. A few more weeks and I’ll be spending as much time as possible on Pool 13. I hope to see you out there. I’ll be fishing where you can’t see any brush!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

AppleCanyonJeff,

Thanks for the report. Sorry to hear about your loss,the river is more powerfull than we think sometimes. Feel free to post any pan fish reports you have right here . I sure do enjoy reading them.

TBASS
    ROCKFORD,ILL

APPLE CANYON, HEY I AM WITH YOU. I LOVE THE POOL 13 PANFISH SCENE. I FISH BASS TOURNEY’S UNTIL LATE SEPTEMBER. AFTER THAT I SPEND ALL MY TIME CHASING THE ALMIGHTY CRAPPIE. I CAN’T WAIT TO HIT THE LOG JAMS AND SUCH. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TRADE SOME SPOTS LET ME KNOW. YOU ARE PROBABLY FAMILIAR WITH MINE, BUT I MAY HAVE A FEW YOU DON’T KNOW ABOUT. GOOD FISHING, TBASS

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

I finally was able to get away from vlsm’s, pix’s, and the rest of the 1’s and 0’s to hit the pool a couple times this week. I like to launch at Pleasant Creek just south of Bellevue, since I spend most of my time over there. The flow has been down to around 10k all week. The fishing hasn’t been anything to get real excited about. Well actually, the fishing has, but the catching hasn’t. I’ve been getting a few where I can find the deeper holes. I’ve spent more time noting structure in the shallow water for later, if and when, the water comes back up. I’ve been getting a few crappies, but no slabs. I’ve been getting some up in crooked slough and around Morse Island. Here’s a hint, don’t try to get around Morse from the north. Trust me on that one. You can’t get up into the Apple, but if you see a boat beached and some redheaded guy wandering around up along the bank, that might be me. Hint, hint, nudge nudge! I bought a St. Croix AS66 light action rod a couple weeks ago. What a rod, what a rod! As far as what I’ve been using, it’s been chartreuse Gypsi jigs, b/w tubes, and I’ve really come to like Gitzit’s Micro tough guys (off-white/black specs). Hope to be out again real soon, and perhaps I’ll see you out there.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Not a bad day for my brother. I was on-call today, so I couldn’t go. He had 22 today. Biggest was 15.75.” He was way way way up in crooked slough. That tells me he had to move around quite a bit to find them, because he usually doesn’t go up that far. The flow is at 15k. As far as baits, he’s just like his father… 1.5″ Black/white tubes tipped with a fathead.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That’s one heck of a nice slab crap! He gets a few more of those and I’m mailing him a disposable camera and a pre-paid mailer to get it back to me! Thanks for sharing.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

James,

If I can figure out how to resize these things, I have plenty of slabs to post. My biggest from pool 13 from last year was 17″. We get quite a few 14″-16″ crappies each fall from pool 13. My biggest in the past couple of weeks has been 15.5″.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

hey buddy, Just send them off to me and I’ll help resizing them for ya !!

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

Could you tell me if they have the barrows with the chains down so you can go on the side sloughs adjacent to crooked slough? A whole lot of good fishing is just waiting for me, I can feel it This Wed, & thurs the Brown’s and maybe the Crooked slough area sounds like a good idea How about the savana area, any Crappie action there? {John}

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Gills and Specks,

You can get into the slough from the south just fine. As you run up the slough, you’ll see the first set of barrels. You have to go to the left, you can’t get up to the tube. As you go farther up the slough, you encounter more barrels, and have to again stay to the left. You can’t get up the cut where that old truck is on the bank (darn it). I have no idea what the access from the north is like, I come from below. As far as Browns goes, I’ve never had much luck in lower Browns, but Upper has been good to me. I don’t fish down by Savanna much at all.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Let’s see if I figured this out. Here’s my 17″ slab from last November.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Dave,

Thanks SO much for your help!! I deleted my file and attached yours. Although my cheeks are chubbier in your version! I’m digging out the good software and use that to resize for some more I have to post.

Again, thanks for your help!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Now that is a nice crappie !!!

I’ll bet that one will get Herb twitching

Brian Lyons

I don’t know about Herb, but it sure has Big B twitching!

And to think that I used to kill time around Bellvue chasing Walleyes

herb
    6ft under

ttwittchhhin???? cough cough nnnooo nnottt mmmmmmmeeeeeeee

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

What I brought home one day last week.

TBASS
    ROCKFORD,ILL

ACJ, NICE BAG OF FISH. THE CRAPPIE ON TOP IS A REAL SLAB. YOU ARE GIVING EVERYONE A SERIOUS CRAVING FOR SOME PANFISHING. I CAN’T WAIT TO GET TO POOL 13. HOW DOES THE WATER LOOK? IS IT AT A NORMAL LEVEL? HIGH OR LOW? LATER, TBASS

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Tbass, the flow has been over 20k for three days now. I’d like it quite a bit higher, but we take what she and the ‘Corp gives us. I’d like it at 35k.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Today was tough because of the wind. It was a good day overall though. When I say they were just inhaling the jig, it’s an understatement. I am liking these Gitzit Micro Tough Guy’s more and more. This has been my hot color to date.

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

That jig looks like it’s saying “take me to the river”… what a great combination. {John}

jfk24

Where are you getting these jigs, I have done a search but can’t find them. They look great, I’d like to try them.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

I get those jigs at Farm and Fleet. The 1/16th ounce version are called “Little Tough Guys.” The 1/32th ounce jigs are called “Micro Little Tough Guys.” The picture is of the 1/16th “Shad White.” There is a Minnow color I use as well. Where it is blue on the shad, it is grey on the minnow. The minnow is also a bit wider. You can also find them online here: Gitzit

I’ve never purchased from those guys, so I have no idea about their service.

mwohead

I’ve had good luck with those gitzits for crapps and small bass but the old 16th white jig looks better at .25 when its hung up on the brush. hope to head to the pool in the next week or so for pans and walters

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Great Day on the pool!! I brought home 25 and threw back twice that many. The biggest were 14.” No real slabs, but the 10″-12″ fish were so plentiful. Hot baits were b/w tubes, char. Gypsi Jigs, and the Tough Guys. The bigger fish came on the Gypsi Jigs. The tubes and Gj’s were tipped with minnows. Thanks to the fella that took my picture at the landing.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Now all we need is for someone to find a way to get a smile out of that face of yours .

Way serious !!

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

First of all, Shania Twain could get a smile out of me. Actually, she could get anything she wanted. Today was slower than yesterday, but was still great. I went with my brother, Dogfish Boy. We cleaned 28 crappies and one of these toothy things that got in my way.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn’t belong…

herb
    6ft under

Boy oh boy!

mwohead

My oh my got me exited headin out wends or thurs, unless I see a big buck today and can’t resist goin back. Should be a good fall if water picks up a little.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Another decent day for me. I took my father in-law out for a couple hours. We ended up with 19. He got a nice mess of filets. Biggest was just under 15″ (only one), with most in the 10″-12″ range. It was an absolutely gorgeous day out there.

I won’t be on the pool for almost two weeks. I have a Cisco exam to prepare for and am also heading into the Windy City for some Proxim training. If you go, please post, I’ll be living vicariously through your reports.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.