Pool 4 and Reel Weeds

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

When Dad and I went fishing, he would always remind me…“look for the weeds”. So when I came across Reel Weeds the first thing I thought of is what Dad said. They make so much sense that most people say, “now why didn’t I think of that!”

So what are Reel Weeds? Artificial weeds on a string best describes them or maybe Structure on a String (SOS). With a 3 oz weight on the bottom, 4 feet of artificial weeds (that took five years to develop and rated at 20 below zero I might add), a float, 40 feet of “string” and what I call a “wrap” to hold it all neatly together when not in use.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I brought a twin pack of SOS (Structure On a String) along when Mike Smith of Hooked on Fishing, Dean from Everts Resort and and I went out in search of the mighty panfish of the Mississippi backwaters.

I placed one Reel Weed within a foot and a half of my hole and started fishing. Using the Marcum LX-5, I could see fish down there right off the bat and started catching them. The first one that came to the hole would have been a rival of Mikes 9 ¾ inch gill that ended up being the largest gill of the day…if it wouldn’t have come un glued at the bottom of the hole.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I did forget to tell Mike the weeds go down the hole.:)

One thing to note. I was using one rod compared to Mike and Dean’s two rods. We didn’t keep track of who caught how many fish, but I think Mike and Dean will agree I caught just as many if not more keepers using the Reel Weeds system and one rod.

It sure seemed to give me the edge.

The last hour, I pulled my Reel Weeds out and caught only two fish that whole time.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The cold wind froze over the holes and I was wondering how the Weeds would come out. I squeezed the closed cell foam and out they came. One weed I had too high in the hole. With the weeds touching the sides of the ice, they froze and I pulled an inch or so off the string. It’s important to get all the weeds below the ice.

I found them very easy to use. Drop them down, adjust the float and forget about them. Time to go home? Pull them up, shake them off and wrap them up…done deal!

Check out the videos on the Reel Weeds website http://www.reelweeds.com

The locations I know that carry them are Dean at Everts, Bob Moore’s Bait and Tackle in Mpls and Sportsman’s Wharehouse both Metro locations.

Watch for more posts on Reel Weeds as the ice thickens.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

As they say, “Structure is Everything!”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

We ended up with 40 some gills, crappies and some of the largest perch I’ve seen outside of Mille Lacs or Winni.

It made for an awesome dinner at Everts in the evening.

Thanks Dean and Mike…just don’t get any better!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

THANKS Brian. Its a much needed answer as I’m sure alot of guys don’t know. This explains it much better with the pics and wording you provided. It now should makes ALOT more sense to ALOT more anglers. THANK YOU.

Thanks, Bill

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Another observation,is that BK started out catching keeper fish right away with very few throw backs.I spent approx 2 hrs catching no keepers,and all fish were throw backs,untill I put the weeds in….then at last, keeper fish!Not sure you can say that is coincidence or not?

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

So where do we get these? the website says they are sold out and nobody has them online that I can find. No dealers in Iowa either??

shaley
    Milford IA

I’m sure Reeds has them I know THorne Bros does ( thats where Brain forced me to buy mine ) Dakota Angler also sells them.

dallgood
    Savage,MN

How much do these things cost? walking by my 50gal aquarium got me thinking. couldn’t you buy some aquarium weeds and tie a kite string to one end with a weight on the other? just a thought. D.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I was talking with a fella that tried that at the ice show.

He bought 8 feet of weeds for $16. The weeds aren’t as thick…maybe wide in diameter as Reel Weeds and they are made for indoor aquariums. The temps were 14 degrees when we were finished fishing that day…they were very plyable and as long as I got them down the hole and in to the water didn’t have any problem with the weeds themselves.

Back to making your own. I’m not sure where you could find the material for the float or the wrap…(storage system).

By the way…if it doesn’t show, I’m not an expert on these, I just know what I saw. I think they can be made for less money…but I also think that the home made ones won’t last very long without repair/replacement. I’m not going to include time into this factor.

Shaley, I’m waiting for you to get on some ice and tell me what you think! Twisting your arm…

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

Hey Dazzle- Leave the weeds in the aquarium for the fish you don’t want to eat. Contact BK or Thorne Bros. I have only used these for 2 hours and am already a believer. Love2Fish.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Brian,
    Thanks for the post since I’ve really been wondering about their effectiveness. So far it sounds like they make a difference. I’m sure as more people venture out on the ice we’ll hear more feedback….especially after this weekend

Chris

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That’s what I’m hoping for C&R!

We could use a little freezing weather again though!

Here’s a link to IDA sponsors carrying Reel Weeds

Who’s Stocking Reel Weeds?<<<

StaleMackrel

This reminds me of; use mud puppies for walleyes, use frogs for walleyes, use green night crawlers for walleyes, and now this! Yeah, right!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hey Mack! I’ve found that the more a person doesn’t believe in them…the better they work!

‘spose the next time I’m down on the Zumbro with HOF, I’ll have to give you a ring and make a believer out of you…

Dang, this is a dirty job!

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

This reminds me of; use mud puppies for walleyes, use frogs for walleyes, use green night crawlers for walleyes, and now this! Yeah, right!

Hey JJ,

I was skeptical as well, but seeing is believing. They really make a difference. Probably won’t make much difference in the shallow areas you tend to fish though, since they already have lots of weeds.

Don’t throw out the baby with the bath water!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

RBThere2
    Viroqua, WI,

Brian ordered mine yesterday, can’t have enough tricks in your bag can you! The underway video’s sure look great on they site and I’ll post my results when we can get back on the ice RB

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks!

This isn’t going to be the same as last year is it?? Just start getting some good ice then mush until well into January.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Alright! I ordered mine last night. I am the ultimate skeptic (In my eyes.). I will give them a go. I have the week off between Xmas and New Years. I have a few lakes that would be prime candidates in my book.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Can I go along??? Can I????? Please? Can I??

…to the North one??

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Can I go along??? Can I????? Please? Can I??

…to the North one??

Not unless I can go too!

audemp
    Wi

BrianK, I can see ya now…this spring making your own “wood snag on a rope” for some structure for flathead fishing!

OOh thats a million dollar idea!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Bump for inquiring minds.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.