No ice on Pool 13: Crappies are hot right now!!

• pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

I’m not able to put together a detailed report right now, but wanted to let you know that the crappie bite is on fire, on Pool 13. I mean on fire! Tube jigs and hair have been hot for me. Sometimes you need meat and sometimes you don’t. You need to be flexible and keep trying different combos until you find what they want. I’ve been sticking to 4′-6′ of water. Here’s a tease for a new trick I discovered. It involves an aberdeen hook, minnow, slip bobber, and a little something extra. Here’s a couple from today. Every thing I had today were monsters. Please make sure you put some back for next time. I hope to have a detailed report up in a few days.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Nice looking crappies there Jeff. And no snow and decent temps too it looks like. I’m jealous. Love that open water with decent temps. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to your report. Thanks, Bill

walleyefarm1

Great post. Should have taken a bigger picture so i could have figured out where you were. Oh well i like crappie fishing but have never really done much this time of year. I have a good idea where you were, the secret spot. great post

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Bill,

We had a little snow last week, but it’s all gone. Temps at 50 degrees this week.

Walleyefarm1, I don’t think I’m all that far from where you are, if I remember correctly. When that picture was taken, I was about 100 yards from highway 52. I caught them about 6 miles from the landing. I launch at Pleasant Creek and am always north of Savanna.

walleyefarm1

oops, I thought it looked like the tompson causway area, don’t know where the area is you are talking about. I love it when i can catch big crappies

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

Jeff,

Do you know if you can still fish in crooked slough,with the new regulations,closing the tailwater area 3-miles below the dam, I’m not sure if that effects side channels like crooked slough?And I was wondering what size and weight hair jigs and tubes you use this time of year and is there any particular color? Rick,

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Rick,

That’s a great question. I don’t know for sure, but if you think about where mile 556 is, it’s at the bridge right when you go into Bellevue. That would be pretty far up in Crooked Slough. This time of year, if I’m meatless, I go with 1/32 ounce hair jig. Chartreuse Gypsi Jigs have by far been my best producer. The 1/32 fall slower than the 1/16. I tend to go more with 1/16, when hanging meat off of it. White and Chartreuse Fin-S Shad have also produced. Although, they tend to attract more ‘gills. I also have a 1″-1.5″ black/white tube on a 1/32 or 1/16 jig in the water most of the time as well. I always fish two poles if at all possible.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Rick,

I emailed the DNR and asked about 556 and CS. I’ll post as soon as they get back to me.

Jeff

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

Jeff,

I’ve always fished CS. from the north end down, but the water has always been a bit higher when I’ve been there.Thats why I was wondering if the regulations meant no fishing in that stretch of water.I don’t know maybe it’s to shallow to get into this time of year.I’ve never been up in it yet from the bottom end is the lower end any good for panfish.I was wondering if you are using a slip bobber and fishing shoreline brush or are you fishing vertical and targeting other areas besides the shoreline brush? Thanks again and it will be interesting to here what the DNR has to say about CS. Rick,

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Jeff, have you tried the Culprit Paddletails in your part of the river for crappies? Thanks, Bill

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

pool 13 starts at Bellvue Iowa and ends at Clinton Iowa.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.