Painting Lures – what do I need

• walleyevision

Hey all,

I’m in search of some Lucky 13 topwater lures in bullfrog pattern, but like so much these days, they are out of stock. I figure it is a pretty simple pattern, perhaps I could buy some red/white ones and paint the bullfrog pattern myself.

I’m not making fine art here, just want a general color scheme, I’m ok with them looking homemade. Can someone tell me what type of paint I should be looking to get? I assume I’ll need to sand the lure first before painting, and then prime?

Thanks in advance.

buschman
    Pool 2

Spray paint will do it. I have painted many crank baits and some musky baits with spray paint and works great. Rustoleum paint and then use Devcon 2 ton epoxy for the final brush over to seal it and will be bulletproof. You have to mix and brush the epoxy on. Use 30 minute set and will have to rotate it by hand for 20-30 minutes so it finishes smooth You can add glitter to the epoxy for that effect if that is what you are looking for. Thats my 2 cents.

Light sanding is good then prime with white. Use the 2X paint. Not enamel.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The sky is the limit on how deep you can get into it!

Airbrushing is quite easy if you have good equipment and a little amount of patience. You can get starter kits very reasonable and there is a decent used market out there. double action brushes are best, but thats when you want to start getting more detailed or refined.

I use mostly createx paints/thinner. KBS changed their formula on the one step epoxies and it doesn’t cure crystal clear as it did prior. I have been using the KDB rattle can and doing 3-4 coats. Looks amazing and holding up very well.

Also, very easy to cut templates and make basic patterns.

Attachments:
    1. 20180512_073514-scaled.jpg

2. 20190316_083059-scaled.jpg

3. 20190303_100504-scaled.jpg

tim hurley

Buschman will that approach work with jig heads? I have some that are black and I would like them to be red, would I have to get all the black off or could I rough the surface, clean & paint over it?
    Thanks

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I am also looking at doing this.
    Where do you buy the blanks? Or do you just paint over? I see some knock off types on amazon. Looking for shad style and deep diver bandits/tail dancer/Deep HJ etcs

I’ll keep looking for a airbrush kit in the meantime.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.