Overall how would you rate your ice fishing season so far ???

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

So far this Ice season has been one of my poorest in a long time. I mostly fish Panfish most of the ice season, but do occasionally chase a few Pike on Tip ups as well. I’ve spent several days each week running around to most of my better spots and just cant seems to find decent fish this season. Other than a few good outings at early ice, the fishing has just seemed to be off and the fish I am finding are just much smaller fish. Its a shame because of other than slowly forming ice, this season has been one of the best for decent fishing weather. Most of my friends who also ice fish a fair amount are also saying its been a tougher than normal ice season for them. Just curious if others are finding this season tougher than normal or is it just me and my friends. Hopefully a good ice out bite will make up for a otherwise show ice season.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

One other thing I’ve noticed this season is that on lakes where the fish are normally rather thick the fish seem to be much skinnier this season as well. I’ve check the stomach contents on some of the fish I’ve keep and they are for the most part empty. You would think if the food source for them was down that the bite would be really good.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Maybe its the added fishing pressure?

Additional pressure during the open water season often wises up fish quickly. I assume its the same for ice fishing. Plus I’ve seen people post that more noise on top of the ice makes it harder too.

Adam Steffes

My fishing has been really slow, except on private ponds lol. Even LOtW was off this year and usually you can’t screw that up too bad. I strung together a pretty impressive set of trips to catch 2 crappies, thats for sure!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My best in a while. I have been nailing the Gills at multiple lakes around my cabin when in years past I was lucky to have one go-to lake. I have caught a meal of gills most weekends since before Christmas. I caught enough on Friday morning to have another couple over for dinner Sat and send them home with leftovers.
    Yesterday when we got home from the cabin I was unpacking the cooler my wife packed and asked her where the fish were. Yup, left a whole meal of filets in the fridge. 15 fish to be exact so more than a meal for us. Luckily we are friends with a neighbor (couple that came over for fish Sat) that ran over and put them in the freezer. Now I have to eat frozen fish. Bleck. LOL
    My world is pretty small right now with work being slow so no far away perch or walleye trips for me.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Maybe its the added fishing pressure?

Additional pressure during the open water season often wises up fish quickly. I assume its the same for ice fishing. Plus I’ve seen people post that more noise on top of the ice makes it harder too.

I’m sure that the additional amount of people out fishing probably has has some effect. I normally try to get away from the crowds to do most of my fishing but that does seem to be a little tougher this year.

Andy Fischer

I’m a crappie guy. This year has been the best ice season I can remember. Both for numbers and size. Have even caught a few bonus walleyes. I have been fishing shallower than I usually do this time of year. One of the highly pressured lakes I fish I have noticed the crappies are not biting in the community holes like usual. The afternoon bite has been much better than the night bite, which is opposite compared to most years. This is perfect because the wheelhouse guys stay parked over the negative fish.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Mine has been up and down this year. 2 weekends ago I got skunked and just this last weekend I hammered some perch. One thing that has really helped me this year is moving and like everyone else says is getting away from the crowds.

mrpike1973

Sporadic either I kill them or cant get a bite. As others have said way more pressure than before. Crappies have been a little better for me this year. Thinking outside the box has been the best for me. Staying away from crowds or on edges of them.

Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

On a scale of 1 to 10? Tough. It’s been tough. Granted this is my first year really ice fishing so I am learning by myself. But it seems like I damn near need to through the tackle box down the hole to get them to bite

Slabhunter

Many of my spots that used to just have a few of us fishing have turned into 100 house crappie villages… plus the portable weekend warriors so it’s useless on weekends with all the traffic/noise; have to go there on weekdays and find new spots on weekends. One other observation this year….seems like the fish are more tied to low light level feeding times only (early morning or evening) when in the past I have found some good day bites here and there…not happening this year for me.

walldows

I have had an awesome ice fishing season so far. I have been to Red three times and caught numerous fish to release and bring home. Went to Leech once again caught fish to release and brought some home. This past weekend took my brother in law and nephew to Winnie didn’t hammer the fish but had a good weekend. For me most weekends are not about how many fish I catch but hanging out with friends and family for the weekend on the ice.

bigpike

About average to maybe a little below. First ice bite for walleye was good. Panfish bite has been ok. Not spending as much time on the ice while I take care of projects. I noticed pressure is way up.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Very good.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Virtually Non-Existent. I’ve only truly been out alone chasing fish aggressively a handful of times. What I have found is that if an area has been fished in the backwaters, it isn’t really worth my time. I’d rather spend that time hiking further away from crowds and it generally pays off.

With the addition to the family and a wife working on a general hospital floor as a Team Lead RN and covering ER room duties…Covid has left me with more dad time than fishing and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

In hindsight, the timing couldn’t have worked out better as I absolutely hate fishing near people or in community spots. The pressure areas have seen this year is absurd. I am sure the overall harvest of fish for MN in 2020-2021 will be off the charts compared to what’s been seen before. Hopefully with a vaccine, businesses opened up, youth sports going full steam, etc… the resources get a bit of a break and a chance for me to capitalize on it waytogo

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I would give it a 7 out of 10. Haven’t even targeted walleye yet, but got a 10 inch bluegill, been on many good crappie bites, and caught some very nice pike. Haven’t been out as much as I’d like, but overall it’s been pretty good.

Jensen

Been on fire since early ice.

mnfisherman18

It’s been a pretty solid year for me, but I have had some misses too. Seems like the weather has been really mild which has made things easier than usual.

I’m noticing a lot more pressure as others have mentioned. I have had guys set up right on top of me more times this year than the last 6 years combined (and I’m not talking about major community spots), so I am getting a little tired of that. I don’t think I own the lake or even the spot, but it seems like common courtesy has gone out the window.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Have been doing very good. This season. Fishing many different lakes then normal years and its been paying off.
    Obviously having some bad days but the majority have been really well.

tim hurley

Andy are you fishing basin lakes? What I’ve noticed is shack town sets up in the middle of the basin but the best bite is on the break to the basin-or maybe you are fishing weed edges (?)

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

I would say it has been above average ice season so far. Have caught and released some of the biggest sunfish I have caught in a few years. The crappie bit has been there all winter but sometimes you have to work for them.

The lakes seem overly busy this year, so getting away from the herd helps a lot.

iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

Hasn’t been too great where I have fished, I’ve caught fish but no limits like in the past, There has been tons of people out, lots of hard sides, but I’ve caught larger panfish but fewer numbers…away from the crowds…

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Been a hard year with distance learning, dead atv, and thin ice. Hopefully others are having fun.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I’ve only fished close in the metro area and it’s been very productive. I’ll say good year classes so it’s been better than normal. I reckon it’s partially cuz there hasn’t been full sized trucks out so far, meaning that makes a lot more traffic than just foot traffic.

Andy Fischer

Andy are you fishing basin lakes? What I’ve noticed is shack town sets up in the middle of the basin but the best bite is on the break to the basin-or maybe you are fishing weed edges (?)

Yes the shanty town sits over the basin and in previous winters, the best night bite was there. I’d had my best luck of the edges of that basin in 15-20 FOW, where the deep hole might be 30 FOW. The last week it’s been a much better afternoon bite and become tight-lipped after dark. Odd year in general.

Rick Janssen

I have had a great season so far in Iowa. Just like you from MN fishing pressure has been a factor. On the little lake by our town you can find 50-60 people out fishing on the weekend and this is a 100 acre lake with only about 75 acres actually fishable so that is a ton of people. I have avoided it now on weekends, but it can still be busy even during the week. I have caught more fish this season than in the past and the size has been good. I have noticed the bite best at low light times in the am and pm. The bad part for me is that does not work into my schedule well so I just go when I can. As the winter is progressing the fish are becoming less active and willing to bite. I can find fish because I move often, but now they are getting harder to catch. It is like a switch is thrown as the sun starts to set, they really turn on and bam…. now I have to head home to help with grandkids after school etc. Still been a good season for me.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

10-12 outings since Jan? Only blanked twice and aside from maybe 2 so so days, been pretty dang solid. Going to take a week off now as I am kind of getting burned out. I only have panfish unless I drive 2 hours so. Another 2 months and I will be able to bend some of the 6 foot rods tho!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Non-existent, only been out a couple times and totally ok with that! Baby #2 arrived early January.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Well its Great to hear that some people are having a good year. I guess I’ll just have to accept its just a off year for me. Fair amount of ice season remaining but I normally back off during the month of Feb. and then hit it hard again in late ice.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.