Over Under Shotgun

• Reef W

Why would you want extractors over ejectors? Honest question. I can’t think of a reason why there’d be any benefit to extractors over ejectors. I can reload twice as fast (with ejectors) compared to my buddy who has extractors.

I said the same. For me it’s because I don’t care about the speed as much as not leaving them in ground and if I pop them into my hand it’s basically the same thing except I have to remember to catch them or they shoot behind me.

Brad Dimond

Using a double I don’t typically focus on reload speed. If anticipating multiple shots I’ll use a Model 12 or 870. Also, don’t like to leave used hulls in the field so it’s easier to grab them and tuck the empties in my vest.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Using a double I don’t typically focus on reload speed. If anticipating multiple shots I’ll use a Model 12 or 870. Also, don’t like to leave used hulls in the field so it’s easier to grab them and tuck the empties in my vest.

This is it for me to.

Gitchi Gummi

Gotcha, that makes sense. For my gun, I can not crack it all the way and I can pull them out manually or if I want them to eject, just fully crack the gun. There’s times where birds are popping and I want to reload ASAP.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

So I went to Sportsman Warehouse today and they had a Orion in 12 gauge and a cz redhead 20 gauge. No all terrain ul. The weatherby shouldered a little better but both felt nice. Still not sure and I’m no rush to buy one

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’ve never shot a CZ but have heard good things at the price point.

Looks like you’ve got tons of good suggestions

dbright
    Cambridge

I just picked up a Stevens 555 28ga for a new grouse gun. It has been doing a great job on the grouse so far.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

So I hit FF yesterday and shouldered a couple more. They had the Mossberg and the Savage/Stevens 555. Biggest thing I noticed with both of them is the lever to open the action was stiff and took a fair amount of effort to actually break the gun open. I imagine it would break in with some lube and time, just didn’t notice that with the Orion or the CZ. So far I am leaning towards them.

Gitchi Gummi

Biggest thing I noticed with both of them is the lever to open the action was stiff and took a fair amount of effort to actually break the gun open. I imagine it would break in with some lube and time, just didn’t notice that with the Orion or the CZ. So far I am leaning towards them.

I think that’s pretty standard with most new guns. You should have seen how stiff my citori was when I first bought it. I actually took it to Puglisi Gun Emporium about 2 weeks after I first bought it because I thought something was wrong with it with how hard it was to open and they said its totally normal. Fast forward a couple years and roughly a thousand breaks open and its a lot smoother. I guess what I’m saying is I wouldn’t let that hold too much weight when its a brand new gun.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well damn, after all this over under discussion, I ended up ordering a new cz. Didn’t need to, but I sure wanted to lol.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I think that’s pretty standard with most new guns. You should have seen how stiff my citori was when I first bought it. I actually took it to Puglisi Gun Emporium about 2 weeks after I first bought it because I thought something was wrong with it with how hard it was to open and they said its totally normal. Fast forward a couple years and roughly a thousand breaks open and its a lot smoother. I guess what I’m saying is I wouldn’t let that hold too much weight when its a brand new gun.

That’s kinda what I thought, but thanks for confirming for me. I would have asked an employee, but when at FF it’s hit or miss if anyone even make eye contact.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Well damn, after all this over under discussion, I ended up ordering a new cz. Didn’t need to, but I sure wanted to lol.

Which one did you pull the trigger on? Pun intended

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Which one did you pull the trigger on? Pun intended

I ordered the all terrain ul

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Gotcha, that makes sense. For my gun, I can not crack it all the way and I can pull them out manually or if I want them to eject, just fully crack the gun. There’s times where birds are popping and I want to reload ASAP.

The red head and all terrain have a choice between ejector or extractor

Gitchi Gummi

you’ll have to let me know how you like the CZ. I’ve been kicking the tires on them for years but never pulled the trigger. Part of it is I won’t buy a gun without shouldering it first and knowing how it fits me and no one sells CZs around my area. Success with a shotgun is all about fit.

The only CZ I’ve ever been interested in is the upland ultra light which I didn’t think came with ejectors. After getting used to my franchi thats a hair over 5 LBs, I will never go back to a heavy gun. For upland hunting when you’re carrying your gun afield for 8-10 miles a day, 1-2 LBs in weight savings makes all the difference in your ability to shoulder and swing it. Plus I don’t notice any difference in kick between my franchi and citori.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I’m always hesitant in my mind to get a gun that is “too light”. Weight smoothes out your swing to the target. I’ve heard the stories before about guys buying a super-light subgauge and not being able to shoot it worth a darn. I think this is the reason the trend in very light shotguns is towards longer barrels. That light weight swings better with some weight out towards the muzzles(long barrels). Good balance in the gun.

FinickyFish

Yeah I don’t shoot well with my lighter franchi. But I also don’t shoot well with any of my other guns so I decided to compensate by getting a new bird dog for chasing cripples jester chased

Walleyeguy34

Going on my 3rd season with franchi Instic SL and absolutely love it. Only complaint is with the auto safety which I quickly disabled after my first hunt. It is super easy to remove though and requires zero gunsmithing skills. The gun is very light and great for those long walks. Have put probably 750+ target loads and a 100+ pheasant loads through it with no issue. I looked at getting the CZ and the weatherby and and am very happy that I paid a little more to get the franchi.

Gitchi Gummi

Only complaint is with the auto safety which I quickly disabled after my first hunt

funny you don’t like it and here I am wishing my citori had it lol. I don’t like when I crack the citori closed and the safety is already off. thumb safeties are as easy as it gets to click off. different strokes for different folks tho. Glad to hear you like the instinct.

Brittman

Extractors are used by competitive clay shooters. You do not have to stop the ejected shells from flying around. You pull the spent shells from the barrels and put them in an empties bag or other disposal system.

In higher level competitive events shooters are often frowned upon for leaving their hulls behind.

Viewing 20 posts - 31 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.