Over Under Shotgun

• John Rasmussen
    Blaine

So I know I want a Citori, but can’t justify the price with the amount of use it will get. I searched the archives here already, if I recall correctly someone was running a Tri Star on here. Also looked at CZ Redhead, Mossberg Int Reserve and the Savage/Stevens 555. Plan would be to chase some grouse, pheasants and occasional trap shooting. Anyone have input on these or something else I should look at.

Reef W

I have 555e in 16ga and like it. They’re pretty simple so can’t really have problems with any of them I think. It’s so light it’s like carrying a toy which is main reason I got it. This model forcefully ejects fired shells, I’d prefer it to just lift them but that’s pretty minor and I’m used to ejecting them into hand now.

My only complaint that is a slight build quality issue is the 4 way safety/barrel selector can be in a middle position where it won’t fire. Once I realized that’s what happens though I just make sure I push it to the barrel I want when I start and it’s never got out of wack while using it. I think it was cleaning or in the case it would sometimes get pushed to the middle and not be firmly on over or under.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Get the browning. Buy once cry once toast

Reef W

I have 555e in 16ga and like it.

Oh, and 16ga is a great compromise but poop ammo selection. I’d probably get 12 or 20 if you want variety and are going to shoot much volume.

FinickyFish

I’ve got a franchi instinct in 16ga. Agree with the tough ammo selection but it’s specifically for pheasant and grouse so im able to find what i need. I just ordered a case of Boss shells so good to go for a season or 2. Love the weight and since you mention not shooting a lot you wouldn’t need to worry about durability. The only thing would be heavier guns are a little easier on the arm for trap shooting.

27eyeguy

I agree with Youbetcha, buy once, cry once. The Weatherby Orion is a very nice OU for a good price. Couple guys a shoot with have them and really like them. I’ve shot them a few times and would not hesitate to buy one.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.