Outdoor Themed Tattoos

• Sharon
    SE Metro

I’m sure there are more than a few folks on here with outdoor themed tattoos. Could be fishing, hunting, or just related to wildlife or the wilderness. Let’s see them!

Attached are some of mine. Mostly recently (on Saturday actually), I got some of my Dad’s flies. I’ve known for a couple of years now that some day I’d love to some of my Dad’s flies as a tattoo. I just didn’t know which to do. He ties so many great flies. For many years, each spring Dad, my husband Billy, and I would spend a weekend chasing pan fish together. Billy’s favorite jig was a tube jig with a black body and chartreuse tail. So dad tied several flies which he named the “Billy Special” (the middle fly). It wasn’t until our sweet Billy recently passed away unexpectedly that I knew the Billy Special was going to be one of the flies I get as a tattoo. I also got two others of my Dad’s flies: one made with pheasant and grouse feathers from our times hunting together in the fall, and one is a Silver Hilton, a steelhead fly that I just thought was really pretty. I know not everyone is in to tattoos, but for me it’s a wonderful way to honor the two most important men in my life.

Some of my other outdoors themed tattoos are also attached. My GSP with a leaf for my dogs, a chickadee since they’re my favorite bird, and my little birds. I love birds.

Attachments:
    1. Dads-Flies.jpg

2. GSP-and-Leaf.jpg

3. Chickadee.jpg

4. Birds.jpg

shady5

I know a guy that has a spin-n-glo and crawler with a couple split shot on his shoulder. Pretty unique…

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Sharon, I’m not a tattoo guy at all. Don’t see the point of them but to each their own.

I will say yours are very nice, clear, easy to tell what I’m looking at. Nice coloring also.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

They all look nice Sharon, but not near as nice as that smile….that’s absolutely killer.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I will say yours are very nice, clear, easy to tell what I’m looking at. Nice coloring also.

Thanks! I know they’re not everyone’s thing, but I enjoy having them and gettig them. I’m very fair skinned, so it’s like working with a white canvas, which helps the colors pop, I suppose. smirk

munchy
    NULL

“white canvas, which helps the colors pop,”

I was about to say the colors are very vibrant on that lily white skin. LOL.

Not a tat guy either but yours are very nice and definitely unique. Great that you were able to come up with a way to commemorate Billy.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I heard that @Mr. Beads has a tattoo of @tangler on his lower back.

It’s a jailhouse tattoo from when they were both banned from this site.

Does that count?

deertracker

It’s kind of hard to get a good pic of mine as it’s a full sleeve but here are a few.
    DT

Attachments:
    1. 20200211_183820.jpg

2. 20200211_183815.jpg

Deuces

#1. It’s @nhamm2 for future reference

#2. There’s more to this tattoo but being I don’t want to be nhamm3 I’ll leave it this

#3. Tangler has a matching one

#4. Yes, the green curtain did match the carpet mrgreen
    null

B-man

I’m not a tattoo guy either, but I have a few ideas if I ever make the leap.

Either a silhouette of Isle Royale or Lake Superior on my back or bicep, or Roy Orbison on my butt cheek mrgreen

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

One of our daughters was bitten by the bug and is working on a sleeve that has items to represent each member in the family. I got a fish hook.

I have a tattoo on my calf and it was too painful to ever think about repeating. Mine is my chocolate lab with a pheasant in his mouth.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

I’m not a tattoo guy but those are pretty cool . I’m fairly certain I’m the only person to ever make it 4 years in the marines without getting one grin

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

It’s a jailhouse tattoo from when they were both banned from this site.

Does that count?

rotflol

null

Attachments:
    1. thUEFL2LGH.jpg

Deuces

All kidding aside the fly tats are awesome Sharon! That green in the middle one really looks good

Not much of a tat guy myself but a fishing one does sound pretty cool now. Might have inspired some ink here.

Sharon
    SE Metro

They all look nice Sharon, but not near as nice as that smile….that’s absolutely killer.

Aww shucks. Thanks, Tom. 😊

Sharon
    SE Metro

It’s kind of hard to get a good pic of mine as it’s a full sleeve but here are a few.
    DT

Nice! Is there still more work you want to do on it?

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Used to be big anti-tattoo person, but slowly changing my opinions on it. I’m starting to view them more as nice artwork and a special lasting memory or reminder. I have one smaller one. And am in the process of getting some designs for another one that’ll be a bit bigger piece- family, wife, and kids related. Starting to realize there is a big difference in the quality of artists out there, and really good ones are booked for almost a year out. However, for something that is on you for life, it is worth the wait to get it done exactly how you’d like it.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m with mnrabbit – use to not be much of a fan of them. I’m now starting to come around a little. I have a idea of one I want to get but just haven’t got up the courage or right design yet to go thru with it. I want one on my shoulder / back with a fishing boat with a guy in it and line going out to a bass jumping in the lilly pads. In the line going from the rod to the Bass I want my daughters name.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

It is amazing how acceptable tattoos have become. When I started working in the real world almost 20 years ago you couldn’t really have them in a professional setting and if you did it was career prohibiting.

Much more common place and accepted now, even in larger companies.

All joking with Nick aside they look great Sharon!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m thinking something like these. I like the one with the boat but want the bass more like the one with color. Maybe add a Spinnerbait with my Daughters name on the blade.

Attachments:
    1. Bass-Tattoo-5.jpg

2. Bass-Tattoo-4.png

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Those flies look great, Sharon!

None of my current tattoos have outdoor-specific themes but I’m close to finishing up my Hamm’s bear w/ a baseball glove on one hand and a fishing rod in the other. I’ll post back if I remember when it’s done.

EDIT: I also have plans to do an adaptation of Jake Keeler’s artwork. Much of it incorporates fish (usually salmonoid and esox, sometimes others) and I really like his color pallette.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

The FW has yet to give the official OKey-Dokey

Attachments:
    1. koi-tat.jpg

2. Koi.jpg

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I lost my dad last summer. He was an avid fisherman and his nickname was “Carp”. Thinking of doing this with his birth and death dates and “Gone Fishin”

Attachments:
    1. 5D3C57EA-61E8-4E36-B381-AB7F3C706DD6.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My wife’s got two (one on each ankle) and there’s almost no day that goes by where she regrets getting them. Its more expensive and painful to get them removed than to get them, I’ve been told.

Personally I have a bad phobia of needles so you won’t catch me anywhere near a tattoo parlor.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I lost my dad last summer. He was an avid fisherman and his nickname was “Carp”. Thinking of doing this with his birth and death dates and “Gone Fishin”

I’m sorry to hear that. I think this would be a unique way to honor him.

Sharon
    SE Metro

It is amazing how acceptable tattoos have become. When I started working in the real world almost 20 years ago you couldn’t really have them in a professional setting and if you did it was career prohibiting.

And facial piercings. We have several office employees with their nose pierced (myself included). There are definitely still the extremes out there that could inhibit one from getting a job, but for the most part I think companies are pretty easy going these days. Much of the time I’m wearing long pants and long sleeves so many people probably don’t really know just how many tattoos I have. mrgreen

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Darned kids, I tell ya. And get off my lawn!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

not a tat guy either. my wife has one, before I met her. but for an anniversary gift I let her rework it. have a stepdaughter that has tats, pizzes me off, got money for that sheet but cant pay me back.

piercings are another matter. my boys where told they come home with piercings they best find a new address.

the girls came home with anything else but there ears pierced, they also find new address. guess what stepdaughter comes home with tongue pierced……..she needed a new address. she decided not to wear it.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I’m not a tattoo guy but those are pretty cool . I’m fairly certain I’m the only person to ever make it 4 years in the marines without getting one grin

Nope. You aren’t the only one.
    Semper Fi

tangler
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

#1. It’s @nhamm2 for future reference

#2. There’s more to this tattoo but being I don’t want to be nhamm3 I’ll leave it this

null

nick you promised you wouldn’t tell. i thought this was our special secret?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.