Outboard maintenance

• Youbetcha
    Anoka County

For the guys that do their own maintenance do you typically buy the kits that are on your manufacturers website? Or is it cheaper to piece whats needed together separately? Looking at doing a 300hr maintenance for a 75hp yamaha this fall once we are closer to end of open water.

Smellson

Order whatever “kit” you need from partsvu. Can’t imagine you would ever save any money peicing it together vs what they charge for the kit

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Yep Parts view will have sales from time to time. I bought a case of Mercury oil when it was $30ea now its $50 and the $6 oil filters are now like $15 Thanks COVID.

Reef W

I just buy the kit. Maybe it’s cheaper to buy individual but don’t care, it’s not that expensive and takes 30 seconds to just order the kit and not think about it.

JEREMY
    BP

When I went to the boat store down the road they said they were out of kits so dont know the price but do know 4 quarts of Mercury oil and filter was like 73 bucks.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

When I went to the boat store down the road they said they were out of kits so dont know the price but do know 4 quarts of Mercury oil and filter was like 73 bucks.

I switched to Amsoil because of the crazy price Merc wants for oil. shock

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

John what amsoil oil do you use for your merc? I have a 150 verdo and what they get for mercury oil for the mercury oil is just nuts. I would like to try amsoil in it. TIA

gregory
    Red wing,mn

One word of advice if motor is under warranty I would recommend sticking with factory oils.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

One word of advice if motor is under warranty I would recommend sticking with factory oils.

It is a myth that a manufacturer can void a warranty for using non-OEM brand oil. Federal law in the US forbids this as long the oil used meets stateed specifications.

Also, none of the OEMs manufacturer their own oil anyway. They are all rebranded versions of common oil brands. At an extra mark-up of course.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Neighbor runs Mobil 1 in his new Mercury motor.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Does Mobil 1 make a marine 4-stroke oil?

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Mobil Outboard™ Plus 10W-40 FC-W

tswoboda

I’ve used Mobile 1 10w-40 High Mileage in my Suzuki for a long time. The API certs meet whatever it says is required in the manual.

As far as a kit goes, I would pass on any lower unit or engine oil change kit. If you’re doing the impeller/water pump then I’d get the kit for that.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.