Outboard Horn Problem

• S Bruce

Hello
    I have a 1997 60hp Mercury 2 stroke 3 cylinder(serial# 0G566955, model# 60EL HPTO
    The problem is as soon as I turn the key on the horn comes on and stays on. I disconnected the oil sensor and the temp sensor, and the horn stays on. The only thing I can figure out is the switch must be bad. From new the horn would sound for a second when you turned the switch on then stop. Is it possible it’s doing the same thing except not stopping now?

Dave maze
    Isanti

Does the motor start?

Iowaboy1

does your boat have a remote oil tank that feeds the tank on the motor in the floor near the back of the boat??
    is so,it may be empty or have a defective oil level switch in it.

two other things you may want to check,if it has a water pressure sensor added to it,that sensor may be bad.
    or,the alarm driver module may be defective if everything else checks out.

S Bruce

The motor starts and runs fine. I had it out on lake Erie Friday and on the way in it started.
    The oil tank is in the motor(under the cover)
    I’ve never added anything so I assume there is no pressure switch,I don’t know what an alarm driver module is.

Curt Wuensch

There is a foam float inside the tank…if it is stuck, the alarm will sound continuously…my buddy had that happen on his Merc. 50hp

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Do you have it tilted all the way up when starting it? If so, that will trigger the alarm but…
    Iowa boy is the best source of info when it comes to these things…

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Very true

bullcans
    Northfield MN

There is a foam float inside the tank…if it is stuck, the alarm will sound continuously…my buddy had that happen on his Merc. 50hp

Very true

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I had the same motor only a couple years older. Over the time I owned it, I had to replace the onboard oil tank due to a saturated float as well as replace the alarm module (on different occasions) for the symptom you described.

S Bruce

The oil sensor failed years ago and I disconnected it. I have both wires off the alarms the oil and the temp. Here is a drawing of the electrical and I don’t see a module. Can someone point it out or tell me where to look?

Attachments:
    1. 1522032765947-1247094522.jpg

Angler II

If both wires are disconnected I’d assume your alarm is bad.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.