Otter Pro XT question

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

With the Otter Pro XT lodge or resort – when you collapse the shelter, do you need to take the seats off to put the travel cover on?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

No. In fact you can leave the seat backs up under the cover. Lots of space. However I do have to take them off to get it under my access tonneau cover.

mazak500
    South West Michigan

No you do not need to

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Thanks guy’s, Now what size? I looked at them yesterday and with the thought of getting a Resort. Holy hanna are those things roomy. If it’s just me or another fella i’m thinking a lodge is more than enough.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I have a ProXT Cabin and it’s plenty of room for two fisherman… every size you move up the Otter lineup adds 20 pounds in plastic/fabric weight + whatever additional gear you add to the space, something to keep in mind for loading/unloading by yourself..

Brady Valberg

On the lodge I went with the frabil predator cover…fits alot more snug than the otter and has a cinch strap and u can unzip the cover and access the sled without taking the whole cover off…just some food for thought
    And no the seats do nt need to come off with this cover either

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

My dad just bought a new lodge, and we made it’s maiden voyage last week, and it has tons of room for two guys.

He regularly has 3 sometimes 4 guys in his old green lodge, but usually 2-3 of em are just toast toast

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Good info guys.
    I will have it at the cabin full time so weight really doesn’t play a factor, but heating it does. On a very cold day will a big buddy or sunflower keep a Resort toasty?

The Resort is big enough to use a spare garage.

Brady – I like the Frabil cover tip.
    Nick – Maiden Voyage, catch any fish??

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

He brought in a nice eye on a metro lake he’s wanted to fish for 30yrs so yeah, it got broken in.

His big buddy was on low and we were sweating, think it was 10 that day but lil windy.

jarrod holbrook

My trailer made me go with a pro 1200 cabin. I wanted to fit the shanty sideways across the back when the SXS in in the trailer. You can do no wrong with Otter as long as you pull it with a machine and can afford the price.

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Good info guys.
    I will have it at the cabin full time so weight really doesn’t play a factor, but heating it does. On a very cold day will a big buddy or sunflower keep a Resort toasty?

The Resort is big enough to use a spare garage.

Brady – I like the Frabil cover tip.
    Nick – Maiden Voyage, catch any fish??

I would think a Big Buddy would have no problem heating a Resort. I tried one in my Lodge and it is too much heat I actually steeped down to the standard Buddy for my Lodge and run in on low most of the time.
    Bob

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

My regular buddy has never had any trouble heating my lodge. Occasionally in -30 and 20 mph wind you’ll get ice in the holes, but I would definitely prefer the big buddy in that situation.

Personally I’d go with the resort if you can. You can never have too much room. I usually fish alone in my lodge but when I get have to drill 4 holes with another person I wish I had more room.

I’d get a resort if it fit in my truck.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

A big buddy has no problem heating a resort and just a normal buddy would be fine as well. Typically I only have my Big Buddy on low or medium when fishing in my resort even when it gets below zero. The lodge is enough for 2 guys, but I typically trailer mine with a wheeler so the weight and size of the resort isn’t much of an issue. Because of that I figured why not get the bigger one. Only time I wish I had a smaller one is the 1 time a year I pull it out by hand, but I think I’d be saying the same thing no matter if it was a resort or lodge. I don’t regret going with the resort. Go big or go home!

JoeMX1825
    MN

I purchased a little buddy heater this season for my ProXT Cabin, the regular buddy heater was just to hot even on low.. saves me some space too…

FishyFingers

No. I have the Lodge and just recently took a trip, packing a bunch of extra gear inside the house to save room in the truck. Leave the seats and caddy up if you want.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Don’t get a resort too heavy too hard to heat unless you have three people always. If you get thermal would probably heat good though. I have a lodge nice for two people and if you have a snowmobile to pull it. I lift weights and the weight of it is a pain lifting it in a truck by yourself. Biased opinion as I’ve went from being in my 20s to now 30s I’d rather fish in a small east to heat house then a big house with a bunch of people.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Like I said, the weight is not a factor. I’ll be pulling with a wheeler and it will stay at the Cabin. As long as a big buddy will keep it warm it’s the Resort for me.
    I already have plans to build a custom console, and will add the Otter lights.
    Are the Otter rod holders decent? The new cargo netting looks pretty nice also.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Cool. If the weights not a factor would say for sure get resort in thermal. My lodge is not thermal and the big buddy needs to be cranked all the way to keep it warm. Although I prefer to sit in the house comfortably without a coat so depends on how warm you want to be. A lot of very nice accessories you can put on it. Honestly haven’t used the rod holders.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Like I said, the weight is not a factor. I’ll be pulling with a wheeler and it will stay at the Cabin. As long as a big buddy will keep it warm it’s the Resort for me.
    I already have plans to build a custom console, and will add the Otter lights.
    Are the Otter rod holders decent? The new cargo netting looks pretty nice also.

I’ve always gone with the Otter rod holders, they can easily be removed when not needed or folded up when moving to a different spot… Sportsman’s Caddy is a must too…

Bigwalleye30
    MN

Go with the Resort, you’ll be glad you did and the Big Buddy will have no problems keeping it warm.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.