Open Seat Isle Royale this Weekend

• B-man

Hey guys, looking for a last minute fishing buddy for a trip to Isle Royale. Mom and the boys are headed south for the weekend and the boat is empty.

All of my buddies have plans already, so I’m down to looking for a last minute “internet date” jester

If we’ve met or bs’d before it’s a bonus, but if not still feel free to reach out. Boating/fishing solo on Superior isn’t the best idea.

I’ll be pulling the boat to work on Friday to Two Harbors and plan on being wheels up around 1-2pm (would meet in TH), then heading to Grand Portage. Crossing back Sunday. Planning on jigging if the wind cooperates, trolling as well.

I have all the gear, rods, tackle, cots, bags, chairs, etc. Just bring a couple hundred bucks, a 3 day Michigan license, sunglasses, and food/beer. The weather looks great peace

My cousin is on standby, but he wouldn’t be able to leave until Saturday am (lot of work/fuel for a one night trip). I’d much rather burn up on Friday to make it worthwhile.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240731-205045.png

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

If I was closer I would be all over this! Good luck!

Ripjiggen

Killing me smalls. Bucket list trip.
    Little man has a hockey tournament and I am hitting Lake Michigan next week. Which is a trip that my third person dropped out today. flame

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well damn I would be all over this, but the woman is at a bachorlette cabin weekend so I have all 3 of those dang kids lol . This is a trip I’ve always wanted to try.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

That is a heck of an offer! Wish I could make it work!

Dan
    Southeast MN

Count me among the group that would love to do this but can’t make it. Our family actually takes off Saturday for a week near Alexandria.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

What a kind offer B-man.
    I’d love to but haven’t been to the cabin since the 4th and I need to whack down the hayfield.
    BTW – I’d just love to sit by that log and drink your beer. toast

B-man

Hey guys, looking like the seat has been filled by Alagnak Pete waytogo

I still have to talk with him to confirm 100%, but sounds like he’d be able to make it.

EPG that pic is from one of my favorite spots in the world to watch a sunset, it’s on the summit of Beaver Island 180′ above the water in Washington Harbor looking SW.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240801-082424.png

B-man

Pete is a 100% go

Thanks guys!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Man the Boys missing a weekend of fishing with Dad. I know that is probably killing them. Hope Mom has something fun planned with them to make up for it. If you ever have another opening like this again. Please toss it out here next time. I know myself and other here would love the chance to jump in a boat and spend time with you. Best of luck to you and Pete. Hope the fish are chomping

LabDaddy1

Man that sounds like fun.

This is gonna sound stupid but I never really even considered that people jig out there… thought everybody only trolled. Not sure why I assumed that, because I know jigging for lakers is a thing.

Bet that’s a blast. Curious as to technique, depth, and gear for that method, as well as what species you usually target/catch..

Timmy

Best of luck to ya! I am jealous. We will be there a week later than you, so please leave a couple without sore jaws for us…. Thanks.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Not sure why I assumed that, because I know jigging for lakers is a thing.

Ya jigging for Trout or salmon is something I’ve always though would be a blast. After watching James video of doing it on Fort Peck, its now been put on my bucket list for sure. I hope I get around to doing it some day soon.

B-man

This is a top secret mission, the Boys would MURDER me in my sleep if they knew what I was doing jester

Last night I was in the boat and they asked what I was doing….”Just organizing Boys” rotflol

It can be a lot of fun jigging for lakers, and I always try it when conditions allow.

I don’t have a bow mount to spot lock with, but if it’s fairly calm I can stay vertical enough when drifting.

We typically fish 80-120′ with 2-3oz white swim baits or tubes. Also jig some Bondy Baits too.

I have some favorite humps that I fish, but also catch fish just drifting over expansive flats.

Also pretty common for us to putz around until we go over a specific fish, kick it in reverse and bomb down to them. For the most part it’s fishing blind, but sometimes we’ll have a fun cat and mouse game under the PS-30.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

The question I want to know is if any of these jigs are Twin Tied

B-man

The question I want to know is if any of these jigs are Twin Tied

They’ve only tied a couple big ones but I don’t have permission to use them jester

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

We’ll see if something like this gets any attention.

Attachments:
    1. 452327229_501092945723770_3282588344695881972_n.jpg

B-man

Those will work waytogo

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Looking forward to a full report!

ThunderLund78

DANG – I would’ve been all over this! Alganak Pete is a good guy, I think he’s the one that hooked me up with a nice Muskie net for a great deal, once.

B-man

Well we ended up having a great trip and met some cool people toast

The fishing was alright, but the weather was in the top 3 of all of my trips. Normally I end up with at least one of the 25 mile crossings in 3-5′ seas but this trip was an exception.

Had a great time with Pete, thanks for the company man peace

We drank a thousand beers at the dock last night with some people that drove 13 hours from the thumb of Michigan and their friends from Marinette. There wasn’t any fog forecasted but we woke up to some mrgreen

Pete brought the food and is a GREAT cook. We didn’t break any lines, lose any gear, and most importantly made it home safe!

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240804-174903.png

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Great boat to fish out of and even better captain- thanks again for throwing the invite out here and gambling on taking a former stranger- I’m not that brave! The fog quickly disappeared this morning when I hopped in the lake with a bar of soap before the coffee was even ready. Fun and relaxing trip.

tim hurley

Have a buddy who says if the weather is pleasant and you are comfortable the fishing will probably be poor.

MX1825

Did the Hank and Ben find out you went to Superior?

Timmy

What water temps did you see? Asking for a friend….

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Any fish??

B-man

Kate told the Boys I was only out on Sunday in Two Harbors (I got busted showing up at home Sunday evening mrgreen )

Surface temps were upper 50’s to mid 60’s (depending on wind and time of day)

Caught some fish but nothing crazy waytogo

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240806-204750-1.png

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.