One pound propane refill

• Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Anyone else do this . I did twenty cans today. Fifteen bucks to fill my twenty pound tank . It took the whole tank plus a little left in another tank. Pretty sweet to not have to worry about propane for awhile once I get going fishing. I like using the tanks with the metal bottom not the plastic , they always fall off. I always stop on the ice now at peoples old holes and pick up the caps and double joiners slobs leave behind.

Attachments:
    1. B28431AF-9FC9-4198-8361-0E48D25D6425.jpeg

2. 4E4AB966-5434-41A8-BB5C-BC45E5C1A1CF.jpeg

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I cut out the busy work and just use the big tank for everything.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I cut out the busy work and just use the big tank for everything.

I used to haul the big tank around too but hated how heavy it was. Now I just toss two or three in and I’m good for the day.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

last season I started refilling the 1lbers from my 20lb tank, works pretty good and is a definite $ saver

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Not for me.

But if you’re going to do it, NEVER DO IT INDOORS
    [/quote ] when I first started doing this it did kinda freak me out a little. Probably shouldn’t be in the garage but Im pretty carefull shock . Probably too comfortable doing it now but did have the door open and there really is not much leakage. But I do agree that it should be done outdoors.

B-man

When the guy blew up his garage they said the one pound tank ruptured first, (then the explosion happened) that’s what scares me and why I just buy new ones.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Maybe I’ll go move them to the shed.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

When I tried it the 1lb tanks wouldn’t fill completely and if I remember right they wouldn’t empty completely either.

I think I had one that didn’t seal back up either. The valves in those tanks aren’t made for multiple fills.

It just wasn’t worth it for me.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

You have to release the pressure twice ( witch is done outside ) to get them full, mine have always emptied completely when I use them . Never had a valve problem though. I clean them good and check them over if one is badly rusted it get thrown away.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Transporting the re-filled 1 pounders in any motor vehicle is illegal too if I recall correctly.

Deuces

When I tried it the 1lb tanks wouldn’t fill completely and if I remember right they wouldn’t empty completely either.

I think I had one that didn’t seal back up either. The valves in those tanks aren’t made for multiple fills.

Did it one year and that was enough for me. I did get them to fill completely by bleeding, but around half would never seal right. Having a Yukon to transport my ice stuff it became very apparent this was not a good idea.

Still have probably 20 empty bottles in the garage if anyone wants them. Not sure what to do with em honestly.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I invested in a 10 lbs. tank for my boat that runs my heater and onboard bbq. The in between size tanks can be a little pricey but another option for long run time without a lot of weight.

vern
    Richfield, MN

I just dropped off 36 empty bottles at the Hennepin County recycling facility. I’ve been collecting them for a few winters. Dtro who I think is a member here posted this YouTube video last year of a new “legal” refill product. I think I’m going to buy one!

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Yea I have heard enough bad stories about reusing these tanks designed to be used once – not a ton, but enough. I just haul the 20lb around, but if it became a problem I would just buy a 11 or a 5lb. With the money you spend getting all those green ones, and hopefully cycling them out after a few fills, it seems like a wash financially while being much safer.

I use the flame king, but sometimes also refill Coleman 1lbers. I’ll only use the coleman tanks if I can haul them on a trailer. I did have 1 flame king that wouldn’t seal also, so maybe not a perfect solution.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I use threaded caps on my 1lb cans. Amazon has them. If one valve doesn’t seal the cap will stop the leak. I refill too but I use a refrigerant pump and weigh in the propane to the proper level like the factory does.

Iowaboy1

Guys,I am trained in handling propane whether in bulk or bottle as I used to haul it as part of my job several years ago.
    if the container says one use,that means one use! do not refill it I dont care how many times you have gotten away with it !!

yes,there are safe ways to fill small tanks that can be refilled but I suggest unless you are professionally trained leave it alone!

before you try it or keep trying it,do yourself a favor like my dad did me many years ago when I was in the hospital and thought I had it rough,he took me for a walk down to the burn unit,trust me,you dont want to be that person I heard screaming for his life while the doctors were peeling the burnt flesh off of his body after being severely burnt.

those images and screams still haunt me to this day and I dont want to hear about any of you getting burnt or killed,nor do I want to read about anyone blowing themselves or their families up.

if you have no idea of how reactive contained pressurized gaseous fuels are,google Bleve.
    Bleve stands for boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion.
    I realize that bleve’s occur when a pressurized container is placed in a fire but it will give you an idea of what can happen when a container bursts and the fumes are ignited in whatever manner.

sji

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

Did it one year and that was enough for me. I did get them to fill completely by bleeding, but around half would never seal right. Having a Yukon to transport my ice stuff it became very apparent this was not a good idea.

Still have probably 20 empty bottles in the garage if anyone wants them. Not sure what to do with em honestly.

Scrap yard here will not take tanks unless they are cut in half. That’s kind of a trick to accomplish.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

gases need room to expand. how can you tell if you left enough room? i hate hauling my 20 but its one less thing to worry about. i will probably get a 11 pounder when i can’t take it anymore.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I buy 1# tanks in bulk when they’re on sale dirt cheap. The risks and hassle of refilling them just isn’t worth it for me.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Same here do yourself a favor go guy a 11 lb tank and hose. Like iowaboys said spend some time in a burn unit it will change your mind in a hurry.

gases need room to expand. how can you tell if you left enough room? i hate hauling my 20 but its one less thing to worry about. i will probably get a 11 pounder when i can’t take it anymore.

The flame king have a valve to release any overfill. I scale them all, both FK and coleman, just to double check they are within spec.

I have a few extra composite 11lbrs I’m thinking of getting rid of. 2 unused Viking brand.

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

The flame king have a valve to release any overfill. I scale them all, both FK and coleman, just to double check they are within spec.

I have a few extra composite 11lbrs I’m thinking of getting rid of. 2 unused Viking brand.

I’m interested in one of them. Why don’t you use them?

I use them when I go camping for more than a couple days, otherwise I prefer the 1lbers. I’ve been intentionally walking more and using heaters less overall for most my ice fishing, most days I only carry 1 or two pounds to warm up or cook with. If I’m warm, I tend to sit and get fat and drink lots of beer and not move as readily.

The last set i got was impulse due to a sale and it was right before the Flame king came out

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you think about it, the one use 1# are really a shame. I assume most end up in landfill rather than being recycled. One of the best things I bought was a 5#. The extra bulk is ok with me.

Just my humble opinion. I’ll go the PC route and say I’m sorry if I offended anyone because of our overly sensitive society. doah

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Thanks for the replys, this is exactly why I posted this. Seeing as they sell this tool to refill these tanks in every outdoor store I’ve been in , i was curious to see what people’s reactions were going to be.

holmsvc
    SE ND

I buy 1# tanks in bulk when they’re on sale dirt cheap. The risks and hassle of refilling them just isn’t worth it for me.

What’s your definition of dirt cheap and where does this happen?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Thanks for the replys, this is exactly why I posted this. Seeing as they sell this tool to refill these tanks in every outdoor store I’ve been in , i was curious to see what people’s reactions were going to be.

Well they do make refillable 1 lbs. check out rei.

Deleted

I just moved my 20# propane tanks from my heated garage, out to the storage shed after my neighbor brought up the “what if one of those five 20# LP tanks leak in the garage and your furnace kicks on in there?”

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.