One of the best ever??

• IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    hopefully it will stay open…

I’m still wondering why people are allowed to harvest fish in the winter when there is a possibility it may have to close early around Labor Day. That makes almost no sense to me. If the goal is to keep it open, take a more conservative approach. It really isn’t fair to allow the ice anglers to actually harvest fish and then the soft water guys can’t even target them in the fall. Can anyone offer some reason as to why its done like this?

Money would be my guess.

The ice fishing business is huge compared to the much smaller fall boat fishing group.

It all has to do with money. The bigger resorts make just as much, if not more in 2 months than they do all summer long.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I’ve been running and gunning all over the place last couple weeks in the wheeler or truck. Usually fish noon to 7pm, often getting about 6-12 fish in that span. Got skunked one day, had a twenty fish day the other.

Fishing has been pretty good. A few years ago I had a better February. Travels are nice.

I’d would say this is a below average season because fishing was trash on the first break in December and truck travels were very dangerous or impossible up until second week of January. A season with only six weeks of truck travel can’t be considered the best.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

My point, was my opinion. Back in 1988, there were no Ice Castles, there were a few King Crows around, but not many. There was not a need for Ice Roads, 6 lanes wide, criss crossing the lake like today, There was barely this thing called a Vexilar FL8. You went to a permanent shack, that was plopped down, cause it was a good spot last year and you fished. You could catch a limit of 6 fish in hours, not days or over a weekend. Don’t read too far into my thoughts, they are harmless. Times were better to me back then.

“Times were better to me back then.”
    Good friends, Poker games, walleyes, and beer all in the comfort of a warm skid house.
    Stocking footed and thermal underwear (no such thing as a base layer) toasty warm in January on a 30″ frozen slab of Ice.
    Rattle wheels going off at night, tripping over friends to get there first, another eel-Pout wrapped around all the lines, Bacon and eggs on a ridiculously cold Moring before sunrise.
    Get up and do it all over again.

toast I am all in with you on this one Big G. toast

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Good friends, Poker games, walleyes, and beer all in the comfort of a warm skid house.
    Stocking footed and thermal underwear (no such thing as a base layer) toasty warm in January on a 30″ frozen slab of Ice.
    Rattle wheels going off at night, tripping over friends to get there first, another eel-Pout wrapped around all the lines, Bacon and eggs on a ridiculously cold Moring before sunrise.

But you forget to mention you could keep 6 walleyes. whistling

That which you did not mention…everything that you did itemize is still being practiced now…today.

In fact I’d guess even more now are participating in all those “traditions”.

I was out there back then, and still going out there now and it ain’t no different…other than you can’t keep 6 walleyes.

Aside from that, how was it better back then?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jeff_huberty wrote:</div>

But you forget to mention you could keep 6 walleyes. whistling

That which you did not mention…everything that you did itemize is still being practiced now…today.

In fact I’d guess even more now are participating in all those “traditions”.

I was out there back then, and still going out there now and it ain’t no different…other than you can’t keep 6 walleyes.

Aside from that, how was it better back then?

SIMPLE – I never went ice fishing because I could keep 6 Walleyes.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.