One man flip over mods.

• Captainpaddlefoot
    Green Bay

Would you guys out there with one man flip overs show and/or share your mods?
    What did you use to pad the inside of the sled?
    What do you use for a heater? I have a buddy heater, is the going to be to much? Is the small buddy heater stable enough base?

Another year and another shanty, still looking for the right one for me.

Thanks, Doug

jarrod holbrook

I would recommend an insulated shanty. A lantern will put off enough heat. With insulation comes more weight cry Smitty sleds help with the snow. I carry a piece of foam board to put under my feet which helps a ton. An insulated roof keeps the sweating off and is nice. Pull it with a harness 25′ back, that keeps you hands free for cold beverages and augers etc…

pattyice

Last year I made the jump to a one man flip over. I bought a Clam Scout XL Thermal. It was the Jason Mitchell special edition from Scheels (1st pic). The first mod I did to it was adding 16′ of 3/8″ marine rope. Pulling this shelter for me is no problem for the snow. The key to easy pulling is 1) Keep weight low. Bring what you need, but not too much. 2) Distribute the weight evenly through the tub. The front of the sled should be the lightest so you don’t plow snow. I mounted 2 garage hangars to a plate on the back of my sled to hold my 6″ Lazer hand auger (2nd pic). This makes the auger super accessible and frees up so much space inside my sled. A little buddy heater works great and is stable on snow and ice. I don’t have any padding inside the sled, I keep my tackle inside jig trays and small tackle boxes. It takes some time to figure out how you want things set up, so don’t rush things.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1187-1.jpg

2. Resized_20161030_200624-1.jpg

Charles

Have any issues with the auger hitting the snow?

pattyice

The handle will contact the snow, but there is no issue with it being in the snow.

mazak500
    South West Michigan

Otter XT Pro Cottage.. added red led rope light. I didn’t want to use white because it is so bright and I think it spooks the fish. The red seems like it will be perfect

Attachments:
    1. MOD3.jpg

mazak500
    South West Michigan

Otter XT Pro Cottage.. Added a 2″ riser to the seat. When you slid back all the way the seat would hit the back edge and would not rotate all the way. You can scoot a little further back now and it will rotate 360° if you wanted to with these risers and it kind of helps the shanty not want to tip forward

Attachments:
    1. MOD2.jpg

mazak500
    South West Michigan

Otter XT Pro Cottage.. Added power source in my sportsman caddy.

Attachments:
    1. MOD.jpg

Chandler Husbye
    Michigan Upper Peninsula (Bay de Noc area)

Eskimo EVO series! its is a great shelter with a lot of fishable room. It is a one man shelter but has enough room to fit two people inside. It is a flip over the had a pop up roof and a pop out end that gives you a ton of room. I have my own and loved it since I bought it. Can’t beat it for the price.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.