Old lures you don’t see or hear about much these days.

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Thought it would be have a discussion on some of the lures that use to be real popular and seem to have faded away in recent years. I start with a plastic bait and a hard bait. The plastic one that a ton of fishermen use to use when I 1st got started bass fishing somewhat seriously in the early 80’s, The good old Slug Go. People use to fish them weightless or would put a splitshot a few ft up the line and just more or less deadstick or drag them across weedflats. They fished a lot like the stickworms do today but had more of a side X Side glide to them. The hardbait I remember well that I have not seen in use in a long time is the Devil’s horse topwater. It had a blade on each end and threw a ton of water. Some fished it with a strait retrieve and other with a rip pause one. Lets hear some of the ones you remember.

brandmoney

I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw somebody throw a rattl trap.

Karry Kyllo

For northerns anyway, when I was a kid, almost everyone had a red and white Dardevle and a wooden Lazy Ike in their tackle boxes. I was a big fan of Mepps spinners too.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Me and a buddy were just talking about slug-os Wednesday on our drive to the lake. It was his go to lure when he first got into bass fishing.

AK Guy

For northerns anyway, when I was a kid, almost everyone had a red and white Dardevle and a wooden Lazy Ike in their tackle boxes. I was a big fan of Mepps spinners too.

My childhood tackle box. The only lures I can add are Doctor Spoons and Red Eyes.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Bass-Oreno for a hard bait.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Mepps and hulapoppers. Original floating rapalas too.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I still fish a ton of rattle traps. Its a go to early and late season bait for me

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I still pull out the old Daredevel spoons from time to time in Canada just for fun. They still fish them a lot in Canada. I see them on lots of people rods at the landing

JEREMY
    BP

The old timers or guys my age now 40 years ago used to always have them red eyes on at least one rod down at the mn river. The red and white and black and white daredevils used to slay the northerns in the backwaters but man they were snaggy used to have to wait the one day a week the hardware store up the street got tackle in and hoped you could get one before they were gone.

Reef W

Mine are rattlin rapalas, or whatever their version is called, but they’re almost first choice if I was casting something.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I don’t think I want to read this thread, because you guys are going to mention a bunch of stuff I still have in my bait box and then I’ll feel old. Again LOL.

Steve

dirtywater

Still my dad’s all time favorite and remain fairly well stocked at cabelas. They cast a mile and flat out urine fish off. He caught walleye, smb, and pike on the same rattle trap this week in Canada.

shefland
    Walker

lazy ikes heddon flatfish loaded with nightcrawlers, Brooks reefers, River runts, the original doll fly, prescott spinners, wellers strip on spinners, red and white daredevils, first bass I ever caught on a hula popper, fun memories

Anyfish2

Lazy Ike, and Erie Dearie and the old wiggle worts.

buschman
    Pool 2

I caught my 1st walleye on a red eye wiggler 35 years ago. Still have the bait at home.

big_g
    Isle, MN

the “As seen on TV” .. Banjo Minnow and The Flying Lure !!! smash

tim hurley

As a kid I would throw the Lazy Ike a lot, then I found a 6″ original floating Rapala and my catch increased a bunch. My favorite old lure name is the ‘Hellbender’. That Rap is boring but it really catches fish.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

He caught walleye, smb, and pike on the same rattle trap this week in Canada.

We also caught a ton of Pike, Walleye, and Lake trout on them on our Canada trip. I tend to use the Rapala Rattlin rap more than the rattle trap but still throw it a fair amount

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

old wiggle worts.

Those original models are worth some $’s. I know a few guys who will pay top $ for them

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ll throw in 2 more that come to mind. The hot – n Tot and the Jitterbug

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Are tiny torpedoes considered old? I have a lot of those in the box but haven’t used them in years. Also rattling chug bugs.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I don’t think I want to read this thread, because you guys are going to mention a bunch of stuff I still have in my bait box and then I’ll feel old. Again LOL.

Steve

Ditto

James Conklyn

flat fish, big o, Heddon river runt, Johnson silver minnow with a pork rind, Bomber water dog and original Bomber, hellbender. Still throw them occasionally when I’m feeling nostalgic.

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

I’ll throw in 2 more that come to mind. The hot – n Tot and the Jitterbug

The hot n tot is deadly being pulled on leadcore, caught tons of eyes on mille lacs and lotw last year. I even loaded up on more of them this spring.

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

Fuzzegrubs could probably be added to the list,sold a pile of them way back then!!

Mike Johnson

We used to use a lot of l&s mirro lures on pool 4,

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.