Old Liquor… still good?

• ThunderLund78

Sooo… My Wife is very blessed to still have 3 of 4 Grandparents alive and in pretty good health. However Grandma and Grandpa on her dad’s side are going through the final-stage cleaning. Still living on their own but going down to mostly essentials, getting rid of a lot of stuff so when the sad day comes they don’t have a lot of material things for the other one or the family to deal with.

Because I keep a pretty stocked bar in my basement, I just inherited a lot of top shelf booze (or at least it was). Her Grandpa told me,”I bought this stuff because our friends liked it, so I wanted it on-hand if they came over. Then they all went and died on us.” He is a man of great humor and basically just a beer guy.

Anyway most of this stuff has been opened, but has been untouched since the 80’s – maybe 90’s. A lot of vermouth which is going RIGHT down the drain as it’s basically wine and some other open Liquors which are probably bad due to the additives. BUT three open bottles of respectable-branded scotch and an un-opened bottle of Bacardi. My question, do you think it’s still good??? I’m thinking the Bacardi is OK as it still has an intact seal. But the Scotch?? Does it get better or does it eventually go bad if it’s been exposed to air? It all smells fine. I know I could just try it (and I will), but I thought I’d ask here first. It’s a fun topic. What do you all think??

PS the one I’m DEFINITELY keeping but NOT drinking is a 49 year old collector’s bottle of 8yr Jim Beam – shaped like a bowling pin. Unopened, paper tax seal still intact! Really cool sounds like it’s worth $80-$100. But I’ll never get rid of it. Stuck it on top of my old fashioned record player on my bar, and there she’ll stay.

Attachments:
    1. 20210603_203842-scaled.jpg

2. 20210603_203821-scaled.jpg

3. 20210604_184054-scaled.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

To your first question is the liquor still good, most likely everything 80 proof and above is still good. By good I mean that it is still safely drinkable.

The taste could be a different story. If the seals on the caps weren’t good some of it could have evaporated which will alter the flavor.

Now to your question of does Scotch age and will it improve. The answer to this is no. Once Scotch is bottled, it is what it is. So much of the aging process for Scotch comes from the interaction of the whisky and the oak barrel and the slow evaporation process of the barrel. Once the scotch is bottled all those processes are ended.

You also have all blended scotches. These scotches are made up of many different single malts all combined for a uniform taste. There is much less variation from year to year in blended scotches whereas single malts even from the same distillery can have very different tastes within a span of just say 10 years.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Send it over to my place and I’ll make sure it’s safe to drink

LabDaddy1

The grouse has spoken!

I know next to nothing of the topic, but that is a pretty cool Jim beam bottle you’ve got there.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Oh that cutty sark makes me laugh! I had a guy in college down the hall that would always say, “I was raised on scotch!” One time after his quote he took a shot of cutty and gargled it before swallowing it down.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

I was all in when you said top shelf scotch. Then I saw the selection. That stuff was spoiled the second it came from the barrel! mrgreen

ThunderLund78

I was all in when you said top shelf scotch. Then I saw the selection. That stuff was spoiled the second it came from the barrel! mrgreen

Yeah, you probably got me there. I’m not a Scotch guy, I’ll drink it, but I’ll admit I don’t know much about it. I am a Bourbon guy so the Beam bottle is what got me excited. I guess Beam wouldn’t necessarily be top shelf either but
    The bottle’s worthy of it!

Ripjiggen

Scotch is good. Well drinkable I should say. lol
    That Beam bottle is really cool. I work for them and I have not seen that bottle. If you ever wanted to part with it please let me know. I would pay more than what you are saying it’s worth , or I would be willing to trade some good bourbon or Japanese whiskey.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I could drink at your bar… the Christian Brothers and I am good 😎

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I could drink at your bar… the Christian Brothers and I am good 😎

Back in my drinking days CB and Coke was my order every time. Don’t want to know how many bottles back then. doah

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

Throwing it away is a form of alcohol abuse don’t do it!! 😁

ThunderLund78

Scotch is good. Well drinkable I should say. lol
    That Beam bottle is really cool. I work for them and I have not seen that bottle. If you ever wanted to part with it please let me know. I would pay more than what you are saying it’s worth , or I would be willing to trade some good bourbon or Japanese whiskey.

Thanks for the offer Ripjiggen, but she’s staying with me!

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Please correct me if I am wrong, but as long as it is not a cream or dairy base liquor I don’t think it will go bad. I have many bottles I don’t drink and picked up for friends and hosting. It would be nice to know what I should toss. I just don’t know. To me some of it is bad from the store.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.