North Shore or Northern MN tent camping

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Hey IDO, I was thinking of taking a camping trip up north, just me and a happy dog. She is an older Golden retriever. I have a nice tent, although it is heavy, a canvas tent. If you have any campground recommendations they would be greatly appreciated. She has a healthy coat, and so I’m hoping to find a camping spot where we can do some hiking and swimming in nice cold lakes. She is fine around people, but honestly I really like being out alone in the wilderness with her. If you have any suggestions of campsites on the north shore or northern MN I would greatly appreciate them. If you don’t want to post on the forum you can send me a secret message. Any other advice on good spots to check out and visit are appreciated. Normally I only take vacation during pheasant season, but as you know, good dogs don’t live long enough. I just love getting out and spending time just me and her in beautiful places. Thank you.

Attachments:
    1. IMG953178-1.jpg

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Skye girl

Attachments:
    1. MMM00573-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

there is a U.S. forest campground by Wirt Mn. on Noma lake. pretty primitive. no swimming beach but the access could do. also the lost 40 isnt to far………beware of the state bird and deer and horseflies this time of year up there!!!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Last week we were up the north shore and did some hiking at both cascade and grand portage. Both were great spots but both had more people then I enjoyed to be around. We swam and fished in both the cascade River, temperance, and superior.

Attachments:
    1. image000000246.jpg

2. 20240713_181837-scaled.jpg

Deuces

Spirit mountain campgrounds are sneaky nice. Quite a bit of room between you and the other campers which nowadays can be hard to find. I always make sure to check the campground map and proximity to other spots b4 reserving.

Plenty of hiking around that area.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I can’t help you on camping spots crawdaddy but i understand your pleasure of just you and your dog. Happy camping you two.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

There is a fair amount of sites in the superior nation forest that would be primitive and good chance you would find one all to yourself. Search superior national forest camping and they a have a map with all the sites, which includes the rustic ones.

Deuces

Bearcat u catch anything in cascade? Flyed it for awhile from the bridge to the mouth with nada but then switched to small jig and gulp, nothing big but good smallie action last summer.

tswoboda

There is a fair amount of sites in the superior nation forest that would be primitive and good chance you would find one all to yourself. Search superior national forest camping and they a have a map with all the sites, which includes the rustic ones.

This is the way

https://usfs-public.app.box.com/s/816fcmtpnhbhhcvkitgwcwfkpcoil9zf

Stay away from from the state parks on the lake if you want peace and quiet.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Stay away from from the state parks on the lake if you want peace and quiet.
    [/quote]

Thanks for that link. I wasn’t aware of lots of those

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Headed up this weekend, there are walk in sites at just south of Split Rock that are cool spots on the lake.

tswoboda

Headed up this weekend, there are walk in sites at just south of Split Rock that are cool spots on the lake.

That is a great spot but you need to book about 6 months in advance to get a site in the spring/summer/fall. You can always check for cancellations but good luck with that. Next weekend open there is late october.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The walk in sites at Split Rock are phenomenal, but as mentioned, you need to book way early.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.