No Power to Trolling Motor

• muskiegreg

Have a 2013 MX1825, 24V Minn Kota, running the motor at number 8 this afternoon when it suddenly stopped. Appears to be no power to the motor. Checked the battery connections, all are tight. Is there a fuse or circuit breaker near the trolling motor or somewhere else? Thoughts on where I should be looking.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Should be a c. breaker by the batteries.

muskiegreg

I can’t seem to find anything other than inline fuses from the battery charger.

loonswail
    Ankeny, IA

Fishing line or excess weeds in prop causing it to cutout via thermal breaker?

CaptainMusky

There should be breakers on the positive battery terminals. If not you’re asking for trouble.
    If this was rigged at a dealership I would be shocked if they didn’t put them in.

muskiegreg

No, I was in 25′ of water and the trolling motor has been dead for over 3 hours. If I hit the battery check on the trolling motor, nothing happens. The batteries are fully charged.

muskiegreg

There is no breaker by / underneath the driver’s console that specifically calls out the trolling motor – I checked them all. Is there another set of breakers elsewhere that I’m missing? this is the first time I’ve had an issue.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

There is no breaker by / underneath the driver’s console that specifically calls out the trolling motor – I checked them all. Is there another set of breakers elsewhere that I’m missing? this is the first time I’ve had an issue.

All the pictures I’ve looked at for MX1825 battery compartments show the TM circuit breaker near the batteries. I’d keep looking there.

HRG

jonb
    Fayette, Iowa

Had this happen to a new boat last year after a few months of use. Ended up being one of the inner screws for the male plug connectors. Had to completely disassemble the plug to get to the screw – could see where it had worked loose, arced across and melted some plastic before completely losing contact. Has worked perfect since, not saying that is your issue, but one of those simple things that is not at the top of the list to check. Good luck!

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

I’m guessing jonb is right. I’ve had two of the minnota plugs go bad. The whole plug (male and female end) can be purchased and reconnected in short order. Solved the same problem you are having.

CaptainMusky

Had this happen to a new boat last year after a few months of use. Ended up being one of the inner screws for the male plug connectors. Had to completely disassemble the plug to get to the screw – could see where it had worked loose, arced across and melted some plastic before completely losing contact. Has worked perfect since, not saying that is your issue, but one of those simple things that is not at the top of the list to check. Good luck!

this could short out the plug which would in turn trip the breaker(s). If it is one of the marinco plugs that do 12 or 24 volts you need to make sure the unused terminals inside the plug are tightened all the way down.
    Either way, if the plug is bad, that wouldn’t result in no reading at the voltage gauge. There has to be a breaker connected to the batteries.

muskiegreg

Thanks for all of the responses. I found a You Tube video. Issue was the circuit breaker. I did not initially see the breaker because it was hidden by the rubber battery post covers. I reset the breaker and all is good.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Thanks for all of the responses. I found a You Tube video. Issue was the circuit breaker. I did not initially see the breaker because it was hidden by the rubber battery post covers. I reset the breaker and all is good.

I only know about it because I once spent several hours taking every connection apart before I found the small trip button under the Positive terminal (

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>muskiegreg wrote:</div>

I only know about it because I once spent several hours taking every connection apart before I found the small trip button under the Positive terminal (

I did the same thing this Spring when I rigged my boat. -)
    I thought they were auto reset and it quit working so I disconnected and was going to go to town to find replacement. Huh, I wonder what this black button does… Duh!

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Have a 2013 MX1825, 24V Minn Kota, running the motor at number 8 this afternoon when it suddenly stopped. Appears to be no power to the motor. Checked the battery connections, all are tight. Is there a fuse or circuit breaker near the trolling motor or somewhere else? Thoughts on where I should be looking.

Greg if your boat still has the original grey 50amp breakers in it I would suggest upgrading to the 60amp breaker. Skeeter has since switched them all out to the 60amp breaker.
    The 50amp wont hurt anything, it will just trip more often in hot weather and if running the trolling motor hard.

basseyes

Mounted a remote heavy duty marine grade external breaker up on the front of my boat that is easily accessible yet out of the way and shut it off when not fishing. It’s easy to flip back on if tripped.

muskiegreg

Thank you for the suggestion, I will check the amperage this weekend. Do you sell the 60 amp replacement breakers through your service department?

CaptainMusky

Thank you for the suggestion, I will check the amperage this weekend. Do you sell the 60 amp replacement breakers through your service department?

if you are running a terrova you need a 60 amp breaker. The peak amp draw of motor is in excess of 53 amps. So you need to protect if higher than that.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Greg, I carry both the minn kota branded one and also and after market one. They are a different style breaker that doesn’t mount right to the battery so there is a little wiring that you have to do.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Greg, I carry both the minn kota branded one and also and after market one. They are a different style breaker that doesn’t mount right to the battery so there is a little wiring that you have to do.

Eric,
    Have you noticed that the Minn-Kota branded ones are no longer manufactured by Bussman, but are a China clone?

At least the one was that I bought NIB at Cabela’s was, so back to the store it went.

HRG

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eric Rehberg wrote:</div>

Eric,
    Have you noticed that the Minn-Kota branded ones are no longer manufactured by Bussman, but are a China clone?

At least the one was that I bought NIB at Cabela’s was, so back to the store it went.

HRG

Honestly I hadn’t noticed as we do mostly the blue seas one as it is 10-15 cheaper than the minn kota one. Just have both incase some specifies they want the minn kota one.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Honestly I hadn’t noticed as we do mostly the blue seas one as it is 10-15 cheaper than the minn kota one. Just have both incase some specifies they want the minn kota one.

waytogo Me likes Blue Sea stuff!

HRG

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.