No name steaks

• AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

With all the talk of quality meats, butchers, etc., it got me thinking. We used to buy no name steaks pretty often, but for the last few years we’ve been primarily doing better fresh cuts. Now in the past few weeks we’ve eaten no names a few times again. I personally think they are pretty decent. What’s everybody else’s opinions?

MNdrifter

It’s all we eat around here. Mrs. Drifter works there. Good stuff, all of it. I really like the hamburgers.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I remember my dad always bought no name steaks. I actually forgot all about them. I’m going to try them again this weekend due to this thread. For old times sake

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Never had no name just seams over priced to me.
    $14.96 for 24 oz of bottom sirloin is crazy.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Always been a big fan of them. Like getting the petite cuts and eating several

munchy
    NULL

They are good, I’m just not a fan of all the sodium they inject into it. A good cut of meat doesn’t need both Salt and Sodium Phosphate to make it tasty.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Are you speaking of,
    No Name Steaks, 13200 43rd St NE, St Michael, MN 55376

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Are you speaking of,
    No Name Steaks, 13200 43rd St NE, St Michael, MN 55376

Yessir, I am.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Is this like an other company, Omaha Steaks?

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

We love the no name steaks!!! I guess I never looked at the sodium that is added shock

MNdrifter

Is this like an other company, Omaha Steaks?

You’d be surprised at what else comes from J&B (no name). A lot, i mean a lot of butcher shops and grocery chains in the Midwest get their meat, and other products from there. I can almost guarantee you, most everyone here buys food products that come through there on a weekly basis.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I’m glad someone brought this up as myself and my adult kids are big No Name fans. I didn’t think No Name was worth mentioning in the other steak thread.
    Why are they my favorite? Always consistent. Too many times buying fresh cuts from various stores/meat counters sometimes would be great but other times not good and worse yet gristly. Hate spitting out gristle…would rather eat fish bones.

No Name…always tender, juicy, and easy to cook just right. yay

Attachments:
    1. 20180526_204616.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m with you Andy. Consistency and no chewing on grisle. And that’s why paying a premium price for a low grade of meat is ok in my book.

The only way we will eat them is on the grill. (it does take some getting use to…think about it)

I haven’t looked at Omaha Steaks in a number of years. Tried them but felt I could go to Buchanan Grocery in Red Wing (or most any meat market) and pick out a better steak.

Others may have a different opinion.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

personally, i am not a fan of them. in a pinch yea OK. however ther burgers are about the only prepackaged, premade burgers i’d by. there pretty darn good!!!!!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The No Name Salmon fillets are pretty good too.

-J.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Taste kinda muddy to me…..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

How much do they weigh?

404 ERROR
    MN

I always ate them growing up, can’t really complain about em. My daughter loves the wild rice meatballs. I’ll second the Salmon fillet also, they’re very good.

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

July 20, 2018 at 8:29 am

grin grin grin toast

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

rotflol

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

I only do no-names on the grill also. Was kind of curious about the no name burgers, might have to try em

munchy
    NULL

The muddiness goes away in winter and spring.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

If you have any that you can’t tolerate feel free to send them my way.

I’ve been told their so tender because they are already marinated in mango juice. No idea if there’s any truth to that rumor

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Idk about that one, but I’ve been marinating them in teriyaki the last few times—it’s almost too much…

Deleted

A neighbor gave us some noname steaks to try. We’ve bought several boxes since. Not bad in the cast iron pan. Just had my first ribeye in about two years last night. Forgot what a real treat ribeye steaks were on the grill. Used to like the meat shop in red wing but they jacked the prices up for their chuck griller steaks from $6.99/# to $10.49/#…… No thanks!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

That’s a whole different issue with beef……

I don’t mind the no name steaks at all. Think the other stuff they have is actually better. Most of their steaks are so small….need more beef!

deertracker

Does anyone remember the old butcher is South St. Paul called Freeze-R-Pac? It may have been spelled different. I thought they were the original creator of the No Name cut. I might be wrong. Maybe they sold out and now there is a new company using the name?
    DT

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.