No more back tags in Wisconsin?

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have been off a couple years. Now that everything is electronic it appears we dont need back tags to hunt deer in Wi any longer. Just want to confirm.

Protourbaits1

Nope. This is the second year without them.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks. I just looked it up. Duh. Was going to delete this post but Ill let it ride.

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

You don’t have to put a tag on the deer this year either. Just need to call in with your number by 5:00 the next day.

riverruns
    Inactive

You don’t need to have any accountability at all this year if you shoot a deer in WI. Other than call it in within 24 hours. Heck you could be back to wherever, and clean it up within that 24 hrs, and be back in the woods on the same tag. No one would ever know the difference. This new ruling is really too bad. I have no idea how any Game warden could even do his or her job effectively with this new ruling? Easy for the dishonest people now. No idea how this got passed but a real crock of BS. Back tags should have stayed also.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The deer populations projections are so inaccurate that adding yet a few more questions/variables cannot hurt.

I think people would be shocked if they knew the true number of deer harvested that were never reported.

Have at ’em. It’s that many fewer that will cross the road in front of me, and it won’t impact my fishing one bit!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

We can thank a couple of clueless politicians. The main reason given was other states don’t use tags. doah

Pete S

I think it’s great and I’m always a little surprised when I hear people complain the back tags are gone.

@riveruns who said “You don’t need to have any accountability at all this year if you shoot a deer in WI. Other than call it in within 24 hours. Heck you could be back to wherever, and clean it up within that 24 hrs, and be back in the woods on the same tag. No one would ever know the difference.” are you saying that people who obeyed the law and played by the rules before aren’t going to do so anymore? Poachers never wore back tags and those who wanted to over harvest deer did so anyway. The counties I hunt, I am allowed to shoot 7 deer before having to purchase another tag with archery and gun. How many people are going to shoot more than their tags are allowed?

I find it slightly ironic that several outdoors types who often ask the gov’t (specifically the dnr) to stay out of their lives are now complaining that registering a deer now takes personal responsibility and are upset big brother isn’t watching over you. I may be naive but I’d like to think that people playing by the rules will continue to do so, those who weren’t in the past didn’t give a rats a$$ about back tags.

Leo Dogg

Hmmmm! It appears hunting regulations are becoming more lax and free wheeling.

And yet I can’t cross the railroad tracks to get to my favorite early ice honey hole.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I personally like the no in person registration, being it was a dump bar in town with some certain local people I would rather never know about what gets shot on our property. Everytime in the past we shot a descent one the traffic on our mile long dead end town road (which my parents were the only house on) would see a very noticeable increase in traffic, particularly late night traffic.
    I do wish they would have went to a system more like MN, which seems to me to be the exact same system we had, just no backtag printed.

I’ve heard others talk about how now people will just not tag a deer and shoot multiple ones on the same tag, don’t be so naive as to think they weren’t doing that beforehand too.

Pete S

We were hunting this weekend and a doe was shot. By the time we left camp it was boned, in a cooler and registered. It doesn’t get any easier than that.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.